How Many Active Users Are There?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Sirus The Virus, Sep 17, 2005.

1. Sirus The Virus macrumors 6502a

Sirus The Virus

I was wondering, how many active users are there? It says there are over 58,000 users, but how many of them are actually active?

Thanks.

2. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

One way you could do it is go to the Member List and and then click Posts to view by post number. Then you can go from members with the most post to the least amount of posts.

I would think members who are at least "regulars" with a 100+ posts within a reasonable time would considered fairly active. But that all depends on how one defines "active"; maybe members who have avatars or are close to 500 posts.

Not sure of an easier way, but I think it may be less than 1000 members who are active. But that's not an official number, just a guess.

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

4. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

There maybe many though I can only think of 42 active

5. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

LOL

so out of 52,000 only 42 actually post. :p

I think its a little bit more than that but I bet you were joking.

6. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Active would mean someone with a post per day count of 10 or more.

7. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Thats a pretty high bar, I would say at least one a day, even I only have 1.5 posts per day, but that is over 4 years of activity:)

8. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Not even edesignuk has 10 posts/day.

9. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I don't have the complete answer, but I can give you one stat I computed a year ago: 56.9% of members have at least one post and 43.1% of members are lurkers.

10. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

The only person with an average post count of 10 a day is someone who posts 10 tens their first day. I would guess 2.66 post per day is pretty active.

11. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

i think lacero has ~17 a day, and people like bv, mad jew, and e are approaching, iirc.

12. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

I began on this forum with an average of about 4 a week. So my average at current is near 3 poosts per day. However i would say my post count since participating is really around 10.

13. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

i think i'v epost like 300ish and ii've been here a little aftre i got my iMac G5

i came here after i got it, that was a mistake i would haev saved a lot on RAM but i did not know and spent 300 on 1gb of ram

o well live and learn :D

14. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

I would consider myself "active" and my post count has I don't think really popped over 1 a day...

Sure over the past few months, as I feel I am able to contribute more, I have been posting more... but for a very long time, I came in here to learn, read up, ask questions, and read rumours!

Maybe an "active" members definition - is better broken up as mentioned above... those members wo still visit and read the forums say in the last 6 months... and those members who have posted in here in the last 6 months?

15. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Here's one clue to how many members are "active". When I last measured this, I did a survey of longer-term members and found that the length of time since the member's last post was distributed as follows:

15% last posted within the last month
    5% last posted between a month and 6 mønths ago
    3% last posted between 6 months and a year ago
    12% last posted between a year and 2 years ago
    65% last posted over 2 years ago

16. jiv3turkey748 macrumors 6502a

jiv3turkey748

wow i would have guessed more people have posted within the last month than that

17. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I go through phases... when I return to work I expect to post less often.

Also, remember that there are some prolific posters in the political forums who's posts in that forum aren't counted towards their post totals.

18. Sirus The Virus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sirus The Virus

Political Forums posts don't count toward your total posts? Why?

19. law guy macrumors 6502a

law guy

I think I'm "active" at 400 some posts coming up on three years soon. There a lot of posters who add posts like "neat" or "great" or "G5 Powerbook!" etc. or that have comments on a keynote being cancelled, or on software updates. Hmmm. I haven't seen posts on the sun regularly rising, but there'd be 80 posts on something like that as well.

I post more on the Q and A boards when there is something interesting or something I've had experience with. On the news and rumors - there's often not a lot going on that generates an interesting discussion. In the users group type forums, there's often something interesting going on.

20. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

The feeling I get is that the political forum is merely tolerated and was essentially created as a safety-valve to siphon overly political material off from the other forums where it could potentially cause trouble... also, once engaged in an argument in there, it's easy to rack up posts. I'm just guessing, though...

Perhaps a mod might be able to shed some more light on this.

21. vniow macrumors G4

Bingo.

To add, in order to reduce further trolling, a 100-post minimum was added to that particular forum in order to post there, reducing the possibility that someone would join just to troll around in the snakepit. So far it seems to be working pretty well, as trolling has been kept down to a reasonable level in the past few months.

22. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Quite a bit of active users. Macrumors is like one big happy but a bit weird of a family. :D

Whos obessed with Apple.

w00t. :D

23. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I never really did consider myself an active member here. :(

24. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I go through phases of posting frenzy, followed by long periods with no posts whatsoever. I am most active when I am least active in the real world, and least active here when I am most active there. Hence, the more I post, the less is going on in my world.

Since I'm sure that is somewhat true of most posters, I think that, as others have mentioned, you need to look at longer time frames to determine active posters (6 months, maybe).

25. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It's weird, but I'm the opposite. I post more when I'm busy. I suppose I just procrastinate too much. :eek: