how many careers have you had in your life?

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Mar 8, 2004.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

...of several years or longer?

has anybody here done just one thing their whole life?

2. darkblue macrumors newbie

Lol, yep.
    I'm 28 and I'm a nurse, my husband is an oncologist and I'm studying paediatrics. I'm guessing that I'll be in medicine my whole life... :)

3. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

Does being a bum count as a careeer?

If so, then I have had only one :)

4. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

a nicer way of saying being a bum is being in search mode ;)

i didn't fall into anything steady until i was 23...before that i was a college student with some summer jobs and absolutely no idea how i was going to make a living if i didn't in rock music...because i had no back up plan, i made sure i became a decent guitarist so it wasn't all a loss...most guitarists i knew had a back up plan so they usually never got very good at music and as years would go by, they put it on the back burner as a career option and as a hobby

i was jealous of my high school friends who didn't go to college but landed a steady job/career and seemed to know what they wanted to do for a long time or even for life

i did end up two years in a hardware store which led me to being a gardener/landscaper for my main career for the next decade after that...i thought they made huge money, or at least it seemed that way compared to the six dollars an hour i topped out at in the hardware store ;)

the last five years has me being a computer techie but i am itching to finally do something creative with it for a change instead of being the fix it dude for IT issues

my wife has been a professional graphic designer on and off for two decades and is now considering something else

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

considering that i am only 20....my life's career has been to be a student, which i have done for the past 15 years and i get to look forward to a masters and phd up a head plus my last year for that BA so thats 5 more years and i hope/plan on always taking some type of classes because i am an avid learner.......

6. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    Just the one, of any significant length of time.

Here they worship me like a God ... not a nice God ... but a God all the same. If I left these comfortable surroundings I would exposed for what I really am, a moron of unparalleled magnitude.:)

Saying that I've got a couple of interviews soon, so that all might change soon.

7. Panopticon macrumors newbie

I've been all over the place with my 'career'. In the classical understanding of what a career is, I've had one so far. Shortly after 4 years of college, I became a composition artist, but found that job so bloody boring, I dove back into school. I am currently pursuing a degree while also finding myself in the Information Technology sector as a technician who specializes in Macintoshes, and (ugh...) PCs.

So, I'm in my late twenties and have had two careers as a student, and two as a 'professional'... I suspect there will be many more changes in my future. I once read an article that said that you'll probably be fired from at least one job, and you'll probably have at least five career changes before you retire... its the new way to work. The way the world works today, I don't even try to fight it. Just get as much knowledge as you can and hope for a good salary, working for a company who isn't run by morons or board members who feel the need to push you out while they want the profits to increase.

8. iGav macrumors G3

I'm coming into my 10th year as a designer :D

I went straight from high school to college to study design, then Uni to study design and then straight on in to a New Media agency as a designer.

So I've always been a designer basically, but design is such a loose term, design for print for example is very different to interaction design or motion graphics etc etc, so in essence it's like several different roles and requirements under the one umbrella.

I've also been a lecturer to a BA(Hons) degree in multimedia and hypermedia, which was fun, although that particular course was more focused on the technology side rather than the creative, so sometime in the future when I resume a visiting lecturer role, it'll likely be more in a creative course as opposed to a technology led one.

As for the furture, well I'll always be a designer, when I'm not designing I wish I were... I would however like to do a MA in hypermedia and a MA in industrial product design sometime down the road, but time is still on my side, I'm only 26 now.

Either way, I feel fortunate that I'm not stuck in a 9-5 job, suffering from the same sh*t different day syndrome, hating what I do, never being challenged, rarely learning something new or never being creative. That, would be an awful existence to lead.

G

9. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

My friend's parents are both graphic designers, and now they are both getting nursing degrees. I guess they just got sick of that after a while.

10. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

5(?)

Depending on what you count as a "career", I arguably have had five. Straight out of college I was an editorial assistant/editor (as I moved up in the world). This lasted about three years.

Then I went back to school for two years to become a high school science teacher. However, I hated teaching, and only lasted 3 months on the job (so this one might not count!).

Then I went into business for myself for about 7 years, doing book design and production, editing, writing, and print and Web design.

I sold the business and went back to school, this time to become a writing teacher. After two years in school, teaching part-time along the way, I realized I didn't want to teach at all (again! I know, I should have figured this out the first time).

I've spent the past year writing a book, which is now about 30 pages from completion. Hopefully, this will be my fifth and final career!

11. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I suppose one may say I'm working at what could considered a second career, however, all I'm currently doing is related to what I've been doing.

After receiving my degree in graphic design, I worked for nearly 5 years in tv, printing, & advertising. I enjoyed the work, but didn't feel like it was "natural" for me. Some creative frustrations led me into photography, where I find I've grown bigger in a much shorter time than I ever did in design.

Thru a series of events, I started my company Eye Creative, LLC, and am freelancing. I do mostly photography now, but also do some small design projects. I do magazine & advertising photography, as well as sell my work as stock.

The reason why I say what I'm doing now is closely related is because I'm in the begining stages of forming a media group with 2 other freelancers here in New Orleans. We're able to not only offer photography & design, but web design & video production as well.

I tell people I'm a photographer when prompted by a question, but I think the term "entrepreneur" is more fitting. And this is just the start of it. Aside from the creative work, I'm also working on producing & coordinating a quarterly art event & assisting in getting a couple new magazine projects off the ground.

12. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

that's what makes it the average for many to have up to four careers these days...that and the idea of retirement, which statistically leads to early death, is going out of style

people are working into their 70s and 80s and really enjoying a new found vitality which was unheard of just a generation ago

if one's first career, as some posters have stated, is school, then that leaves them in their late teens/early 20s with a life full of career choices

...and if one embarks on three twenty year careers, that will take them comfortably to their late 70s which is the norm these days...the days of retiring at 55 and passing at 65 are long gone sine men live past 70 and women approach 80 on average and that is in sharp contrast to the fact that only 3% percent of americans lived past 65 when social security was implemented a several generations ago

13. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I couldn't agree more with that last part about retirement leading to death. Take my dad for example: He's 72 years old, self-employed, and still working as he would have 20 years ago. While he sometimes can act a bit "old," he doesn't look the part, and I truly feel that he keeps his edge sharp by doing what he loves.

I aspire to be like him in my life. So much so, that is why I'm putting every ounce of my energy into making my dreams work for me now. I don't even think about the idea of retiring, just where I want to go. ;)

14. ThomasJefferson macrumors 6502

I have spent the last 17 years as an Advanced Placement US History teacher. My students passing percentage is about 88% during the course of my career. I also teach Model United Nations/Debate and "coach" the debate team. Nerds 'r Us.

Prior to all this fun, I had the usual dead-end, starving college student jobs. Selling tropical fish, tutoring football players, selling cameras and guns, my own lawn/yard care business - cash only please, taught Karate (Okinawan Te) etc.

15. jazzmfk macrumors member

Jersey. Route 78, exit 24. Gotta problem with th
    tj: wow! 88% is phenomenal - especially in History! I'm an AP Music Theory teacher. I've never compiled my career stats, but along the way we've had some perfect years. I'm certain our classes are much smaller than yours, though (the most I've ever had has been 14 - and not everyone is required to take the test).

As to the post topic - ONE full-time career (high school music teacher/director of bands). (I don't know if it counts as a career, but I've also done lots of performing, composing, and arranging for cash.) Next fall will begin my 24th year in the classroom - yikes! More than half my life!

16. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I've always been a student and will be for a long time to come...Hopefully, I'll spend a portion of this summer in a stint as a paid researcher in the lab where I work during the regular academic year. During the year, it's for course credit. During the summer it will be for moneda, and hopefully enough for me to "eat at least two meals a week," as the associate provost put it when I was chatting to him about my plans for the summer.

As for what I'll be doing way in the future once this school business is done: Well, there are whole threads on that topic.

17. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I've been in video production all my life, though I'm pondering a career change to something in the graphics or web design fields. It's always hard to find a good job in my current field, and in this economy it's damn near impossible.

18. ThomasJefferson macrumors 6502

The perfect years are nice. Amazing how fast administrators can move to take credit for them. My inspiration is the AP Calculus teacher down the hallway, with a 14 year career passing score of 97%. She scares me. Yes, I teach in a public school, in South Carolina.

19. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

I had an AP Calculus teacher in upstate SC that had a perfect record, up until our class :) Of course we really hated her...

20. cpjakes macrumors 6502

As of now, I'm in a mixed mode job - pretty much anything you can think of with audio technology falls under my job description. And a little computer work. It's very stable and a good place to be, but I honestly feel like it's a job for someone who's not in their twenties. But I think the only other thing I'd rather do is smart home design/installation...

One thing I think I've learned is to leave some hobbies as hobbies and interests as interests. I may have gotten too close to something I liked doing for fun and now that it's a job I don't enjoy doing it in my free time.

cpjakes

21. Opteron macrumors 6502

I've been a Student for the last 15 years (13 of school, 2nd year uni) after that I'm off to put theory into practice and become a mining engineer. After I've made my fortune who knows what willl happen.

22. womencantsail macrumors member

23. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I have had 3 careers. It seems to be part of being a baby boomer. My grandfather, father, and father-in-law all just had one career.

I have had 3 careers. Although two of them were similar. I started out as a mortician, an embalmer funeral director. My main and best career is nursing, of which I'm most proud. Secondary bust still proud was as an officer in the US Air Force Reserve, retired as a Captain.