How many CD-R/DVD-Rs do you have?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Flight16, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Flight16 macrumors newbie

Jun 8, 2004
    I have about 50 CD-Rs lying around with various movies, music, images, and old homework. I was just wondering how many discs other people have and what file types they're filled with.
  2. efoto macrumors 68030

Nov 16, 2004
    Cloud 9 (-6)
    This is pretty open ended, you'll probably get a lot of varied responses, if any :p

I usually use CD-Rs for temporary media and toss them when I am finished. At current prices they are completely disposible and make great use for watching divx movies on a compatible player, or giving files/images/movies to friends and family. Other than that, the only other use I have for CD-R is burning mp3 cds for my car, which I have 3 CD-RWs laying around for that, two in the car at any time and the one being re-written with new stuff.

I just purchased my first set of DVD-Rs (100 pk) and burned copies of 8 DVDs I actually own :) to bring to France so I wouldn't ruin the retail discs. Other than that, I have 92 blanks sitting on a spindle at home with no immediate foreseeable use.
  3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    Hundreds. Thousands.

What really frosts my jujubes is that I have to pay $0.21 levy on each CD-R I buy to back up my own data, because illicit music copying reached a point where the Canadian Government saw fit to impose a royalty on blanks to compensate the artists and their publishing companies.

So to all the music pirates out there, I'm paying about $300 a year to support your thievery. Thank you, bunches.
  4. neildmitchell macrumors 6502a

May 21, 2005
    I have a whole moving box full of them, CD-R and DVD-R :(

I wish there was a backup and storage solution better then hard drives and removable media.

Holographic Media is supposed to be release by the end of 2006.
    30g of storage, sweet.
    Optware to Release 30 GB Holographic Card for Less than $1 at the End of 2006
    But will it be Mac compatible? :confused:

Apple never did invest putting MO drives in the Macs, where the discs hold 2.3 Gigs on a 3.5 floppy, sure as hell beats a zip disc, will they passup holographic?
  5. efoto macrumors 68030

Nov 16, 2004
    Cloud 9 (-6)
    That totally sucks, punishing everyone for the crimes of the few (or many, depending). 21 cents per blank seems a little steep, that is insane consider the value you stated at $300 a year just for a levy tax on the blanks, rediculous. Probably makes removable media a pain in the a**, for that much you could probably purchase 500Gb worth of HD space each year....that should be enough to backup. Sad part is getting space in that quantity usually doesn't prove all that mobile :(
  6. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    I just did a quick count (most of them are in tins so I can count them quickly) and I have about 550. They have a wide variety of filetypes on them, ranging from documents to movie backups (yes, legitimate backups).
  7. Flight16 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 8, 2004
    I know there are a few solutions out there right now that index your media and allow them to be searchable "offline," but they all look a little aging. I was thinking about programming something newer, but was skeptical of the market for such a thing.
  8. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    I have about 500 DVDs. Various Divx movies, project files, data backups, and other digital junk.
  9. iGary Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
  10. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

Mar 3, 2005
    Center of the Nation
    O god... I really don't have that many cd-r's laying around anymore, most of them have been ripped to my HDD, mostly .mp3s. DVD's though, around 300 blank ones (I can get them for free :D ) and around 200 or so burnt dvd's. Labeled with movie titles on them for some reason ;)
  11. efoto macrumors 68030

Nov 16, 2004
    Cloud 9 (-6)
    How do you manage blanks for free? :eek: That would be the ticket.....

Yeah funny how those blanks sometimes have data on them, and then they are labeled with movie titles. Every once a while, I get that same thing...crazy :rolleyes:
  12. hcuar macrumors 65816

Jul 23, 2004
    Nah... they aren't punishing anyone... Goverments are always looking for a new tax... you know... to collect "revenue". I'm sure it was just a tasty source of revenue.
  13. SFVCyclone macrumors 6502a

Feb 24, 2005
    Pasadena, Ca
    HMMMMM, at home maybe about 200 or so either in spindles or just lying around on the floor hanging out, mostly back up from fresh installs of the X so all kinds of data.
  14. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

May 31, 2004
    Cape Breton Island
    Oh god, I don't even know.

My dad has a siege mentality when it comes to DVDs and CDs
    I'd say about 700 DVDs (blanks)

and maybe 300 CDs.
  15. jalagl macrumors 6502a

Jun 5, 2003
    Costa Rica
    Thanks!!! I mean... I mean... did I say that aloud? :rolleyes:

On a serious note, I have two drawers full of CDRs, plus 4 carrying cases with the ones I use more often. After a very quick count, I would say I have around 1500 CDRs, and around 50 DVD-R (just got a DVD burner :D).