How many clicks to the center of a pref pane?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by ima_pseudonym, Aug 23, 2003.

1. ima_pseudonym macrumors member

Apr 18, 2002
    OS X complaint of the day:

It takes too many clicks to change the processor performance option on my tibook. 1) open prefs, 2) open energy pref, 3) click details, 4) click options, 5) make change.

Any suggestions for shortening this procedure? Remember back in OS 9 when location manager used to control so many more aspects of the machine? Most of my complaints about os x performance seem to stem from apple's desires to a) simplify things for complete computer newbies to understands - even if it means the task becomes more complex to carry out; and b) prevent customization options to ensure a "uniform computing experience" - wish they would give up on at least one of those.
  2. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

Jul 11, 2003
    NYC, or thereabouts
    A fair complaint!

Maybe you should make a Konfabulator widget that sits on your desktop to switch your processor speed up or down. It could look like a little old-tyme double knife throw switch ("Stahnd bahk -- I'm gooing to SVEETCH!").
  3. OutThere macrumors 603

Dec 19, 2002
    You could probably make an applescript to do it for you, but since I don't have a laptop I couldn't do it for you. If you find someone with a laptop and knowledge of applescript ask them to whip up a script that does it for you. I'm sure its possible. Then all you will have to do to change your settings will be to run the script. (Or you might be able to get it to run when you change locations. Hope you succeed in getting it to work for you!:)
  4. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

Apr 14, 2002
    bat country
    outthere is right, applescript is the way to go. if you download the gui-scripting addition, you can do pretty much anything. make the scripts to change the settings to what you like and keep them in the script menu.