how many computers do you have?

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Aug 10, 2002.

?

how many computers do you have?

1. none

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. one

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. two

6 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. three or more

21 vote(s)
    70.0%
  5. so many, it's affecting my life, health, marriage, sanity

3 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

are you a computer phobe, techie, or just use a computer because it's part of job/school?

i am a techie with ibook, pc laptop, two old pentium test machines, and two old pre-PPC macs

2. King Cobra macrumors 603

Three.

The iMac is my backup computer kept in Maine for vacation times like this.

The iBook goes almost whever I go, even to class.

The Cube stays at home, resting from the heavy usage I put AltiVec through. It's my main computer.

3. iGav macrumors G3

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Two I use all the time - the TiPB and the Desktop G4 - I have an old PowerComputing G3 tower - I think I turned it on last month.....

D

5. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Currently two, it was three until early this year (sold one to help get the Harley). I have the 800MHz TiBook and my own creation (game pc). The TiBook gets used each and every day, where the game pc can sit unused (and powered off) for weeks on end...

6. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

6 working
    i dont own them all but in my house there is in order of there purchase
    power wave 132 (mac clone)
    pentium II i dont know the brand
    Power Book G3 pismo
    Dell Demension 4100 pentium III
    iMac DV SE graphite
    iBook 2001 500mhz
    along with numerous parts of old macs.

7. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Well that depends... ones I use regularly or my entire Mac collection? :eek: :D

8. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

of my personal own...

I have my TiBook which I used regularly...

I have a PowerMac 8500 dismantled...an 8550 WorkGroup Server also dismantled...and a Starmax 4000/200 clone just sitting...

then there's the PowerMac G4 I have at work...although I don't officially "own" it... ;)

9. DavPeanut macrumors 6502

I have the two listed in my profile plus one older dell laptop (thats my dads) I don't buy any, but I am the owner of the older iMac. I am the main user of both the Macs though.

10. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

1. 48K sinclair spectrum + old school 80s tape recorder built like a tank and loads of games (currently in the loft)

2. Atari STE with 2.5Mb, Stereo Master Audio Cart and loads of games (boxed up in a cupboard)

3. Powermac G3 Desktop, 300Mhz, 192Mb RAM, 6mb VRAM, 6Gb & 60Gb HDs, an external Yamaha CDRW, Audiomedia III card and a nice speedy cable connection.

I wish I had a shiney new G4 to go with that lot but sadly i'm stuck in the 90's technology wise till at least spring of next year for financial reasons. Plus, imagine the macs we'll see by March '03.

11. elensil macrumors regular

12. Tiauguinho macrumors 6502a

Tiauguinho

2 Mac's

A PowerMac G4 DP 1Ghz ( Main Machine )

and

Powerbook G4 550Mhz that is always with me...

13. ThinkpadsRule macrumors member

I have a P4 IBM thinkpad,G4 500 mhz tibook,P4 dell desktop and a brand new shinny imac...2 days old. I love this imac.

14. awrc macrumors regular

Between my wife and I, six, I think. However, I've got enough bits and pieces lying around that I could probably put another couple together if I had processors (for various reasons I have three perfectly good Athlon motherboards sitting in a closet).

No, make that seven - there's an ancient IBM of some sort at the back of a cupboard. No, eight, my wife may have a really really old Compaq luggable in her parents' attic.

The "real" machines are:

My dual 1GHz PowerMac G4 -

My pride and joy. Bought this February on the condition that I don't buy another computer of any description until late 2003 at earliest. I figure Apple should have something really nice out by then.

My wife's 667MHz PowerBook Ti -

My wife's pride and joy. I bought it for her as a surprise in January. It took over my mind and made me buy a PowerMac the next month. I got her it because she likes to surf in the livingroom and was getting weary of...

Our Toshiba Satellite (400MHz Celeron) -

Replaced an even older laptop stolen in a burglary. Runs W2K. Takes over ten minutes to boot. Now exists primarily to look bulky and cheap next to the PowerBook.

My big, noisy Athlon box -

My main machine before I got the PowerMac. Final config was an XP 1800 with a gig of memory and a GeForce 3 video card, all in a huge Lian-Li aluminum case. Makes more noise than your typical jet airliner due to four case fans and an 80mm CPU fan. Overheats. Used to get upgraded on a monthly basis, prompting Terminal Upgrade Fatigue and the purchase of the PowerMac.

My wife's 500MHz PIII machine -

Replaced a 200MHz Pentium machine (inherited from me) that got stolen in a burglary. Only ever switched on if she wants to use PCAnywhere to connect to her desktop at work.

My 500MHz K6-2 machine -

Originally built as a cheap firewall, these days it runs essential stuff like DHCP, DNS and mail as well as anything else I'm playing with, like Apache and databases. Currently runs Debian with a 2.4 kernel.

15. King Cobra macrumors 603

>My wife's 500MHz PIII machine -

>Replaced a 200MHz Pentium machine (inherited from me) that got stolen in a burglary. Only ever switched on if she wants to use PCAnywhere to connect to her desktop at work.

That's too bad. Although, look at it on the bright side. What can a quick and precise criminal do with a slow and buggy peecee? :rolleyes:

That's a horse load of computers you got there. What comes after the PowerMac and who's gonna be jealous first? :p