Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

highres

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2005
Near the Singularity
2 Computers:

Dual 2.7Ghz G5 PM and 400Mhz G4 PM

The Dualie I use for all my graphics design/web and video work and the G4 I use for downloads, mail, scanning, printing, etc. They are networked together for fast file transfer. No portables or laptops, I am saving for one of the G5 PB's when they come out, hopefully I won't have to wait too long... :rolleyes:

zv470

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2004
Japan
GodBless said:
I don't and won't do anything for SETI. If extraterrestrial life existed God would have told us from the beginning. ;) All in all it is a waste of time and a waste of your life for an empty cause.

God would have told us? hehe The bible was written by people ;) heh :D

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
GodBless said:
I don't and won't do anything for SETI. If extraterrestrial life existed God would have told us from the beginning. ;) All in all it is a waste of time and a waste of your life for an empty cause.

yeah and believing in something which some guy wrote a book about thousands of years ago and taking it as fact just because a whole bunch of other people do is not.

leave god out of scientific reasoning, you cant mix blind faith (and it is blind) with science.

i'm not saying that seti is not a waste of computer cycles it would be far far far more useful to run F@H, just a disagree with that train of thought.

and OT, 2x g4 cubes, 600MHz ibook, 2.8GHz AMD box (3200+)

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
GodBless said:

You are of course entitled to your beliefs, however I would suggest they are best left for the Political/Religious Forums. ;)

Personally, I don't think SETI is the right way to go about things either, but I still respect people who do it - I am open-minded and understanding about people's interests and beliefs, and don't tell them they are "wasting their life for an empty cause" simply because I do not agree with what they are doing or because a Book tells me so - I have a mind of my own. I think it is simply foolish to think that we as humans know everything. We are primitive and naive, and there is much going on in the universe that we can't possibly comprehend with our feeble human minds.

Hector said:
leave god out of scientific reasoning, you cant mix blind faith (and it is blind) with science.

Blind faith, yes, I'd agree with you - just automatically going along with whatever anyone else says without giving it some thought yourself and questioning it is foolhardy - in fact, it's a definition of brainwashing.

But, keep in mind what a great man once said:

"Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."
- Albert Einstein​

But in the end, I agree with you - let's not bring religion, etc. into this discussion or it will get wastelanded faster than you can blink an eye. ;)

GodBless

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2005
Hector said:

~Shard~ said:
Blind faith, yes, I'd agree with you - just automatically going along with whatever anyone else says without giving it some thought yourself and questioning it is foolhardy - in fact, it's a definition of brainwashing.

To get an understanding, I think both of you should read post #37 on this thread. Any questions you have I will answer to the best of my ability. Feel free to give me a private message if you want. ;)

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/1581910/

you can link a post like that by clicking on the post number btw.

dude, stop god crapping on everyones threads, it just pisses people off, take example of wdlove posts he's very religious and i'm sure i dont aggree with him on allot of things but he manages to post his views where appropriate in a way that is considerate of other people not forcing his ideas on others.

amin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2003
Boston, MA
90% of the time I use my 15" Powerbook.
At work, I use many windows machines in addition to my PB.
At home, I also sometimes use my wife's Dell 700m.
Rarely, I use our home windows desktop machine.
When we visit my parents, I make frequent use of their G5 PM =].

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Currently I'm using two Mac's on a regular basis. Power Mac G4 and iBook G3.

El Phantasmo

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2005
On a daily basis I use 3 computers:

iBook - When at work I use it for my personal email, chat, web, listen to music and watch dvds. And for my personal photography and web stuff for on-location photo shoots or when visiting my parents.

Dell Optiplex something something - My work computer, mainly for Photoshop and Web stuff.

iMac - My home computer for everything... photo, video (not really... but soon :p), web (browsing and creating websites), email, chat, music, etc etc

I'm actually quite happy with my setup. :cool:

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
2 at home
b&W G3 Upgraded to G4 500
G5 Dual 2.0

1 at a friends
Dual 533 Quicksilver cased Digital Audio (I own this computer it is just on loan)

3 at work
1 Dell latitude D505 1.2GHZ
2 Dell Optiplex 3.2 GHZ P4 HT

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
Daily basis:

1 with me everywhere. iBook :cool:
2 at work : Dell :mad: :( :eek: :eek:

Usually I have contact with the 6 same PCs weekly, the other 3 are from private work.

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
Well, at last count I had 23 computers, but I don't use all of them.

In my computer area I have the following (up and running 24/7):
PowerBook G3 (Wallstreet) - which is my main system
IBM ThinkPad 760ED - runs Rhapsody for work tasks, OPENSTEP for school (Geomview)
PowerBook Duo 2300c - main school system (runs Mathematica and Theorist)
SGI Indy - where I do my video capture
Power Macintosh 8100 - where I run all my classic apps
iMac - back up for my Wallstreet, and the system with all my games
Quadra 950 - back up for classic apps, and CD burning
Power Macintosh 7500 - primary Rhapsody system​
so that is all the running systems (going around the room), I also have set up (but not running all the time) the following:
Sun SPARCclassic - used for practicing with Solaris and StarOffice
SGI IRIS Indigo (Morse) - back up for older SGI apps
SGI IRIS Indigo (Euler) - for older SGI apps
Quadra 700 - A/UX system, for running System 7 apps (the 950 is Mac OS 8 and PowerPC now)​
And the rest are currently in storage. I also spend time on my wife's PowerBook G3 (Pismo), but I don't do any work on it.

On the subject of GodBless... :rolleyes: did he ever post anything related to the topic of the thread?

And I have SETI running on a couple of my systems (the 8100 and the iMac, the two I'm on the least). There is more evidence of extraterrestrial life (in some form) than there is of a deity (in any form)... although the odds of intelligent life putting out a signal that we could find during the brief time we've been looking seems remote (specially looking at our planet where we have started cutting down on the signals that bleed out into space). There would be a 50 (or so) year window and it would have had to have happened on some other world almost exactly as many years ago as they are far away from us (in light years).

So I run SETI... but I don't really expect them to find anything.

And as we are cutting down on our signals bleeding into space, I wouldn't expect some future alien race to have much luck spotting us either. :(

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
Work/Home: AlPB 15", 1.5GHz, 1Gb RAM
iBook G4 12"
Home: Son's Pismo 500, 1Gb RAM, 30Gb MCD Expansion Bay HD
Wife's iBook G3 12"
X

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
GodBless said:

Wrong answer. Take a look at the question. Go someplace else for that kind of talk.

I've used three beige G3 desktops, two 7300s, an 8600 and a 9600 for the seti project since 1999. Maybe a few others here and there too. Those machines took 6 years to pass the 10k WU mark. Yay!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.