How Many DVDs Do You Own?

Discussion in 'Community' started by clayj, Aug 17, 2005.

1. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

As inspired by a comment that Shard made:

I'm up to over 380... each title could contain more than one DVD, though (e.g., Monty Python's Flying Circus is 14 discs, each season of Babylon 5 is 6 discs, The Ultimate Matrix Collection is 10, etc.).

Is anyone here as fanatical about collecting DVDs as I am?

2. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

3. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

4. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

5. clayj thread starter macrumors 604

clayj

Hell, no. In fact, you should -1 for every pirated DVD you have. (Shame, shame.)

6. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Not too many DVDs, just 141, plus whatever my brother and cousin has loaned (don't think that's too many at the moment). Many have multiple disks, e.g. TV shows like Farscape, Red Dwarf and Futurama or movie series like Indiana Jones and Back To The Future.

I still have about 800 VHS tapes stashed away, until I can get an affordable and easy way to transfer those to hard drive or DVD.

7. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Can't recall exactly how I would have inspired you on this one, but thanks clayj. :)

As for myself, I have about 10-15 sets, give or take. I have friends though who have hundreds. They had hundreds of VHS tapes, now they have hundreds of DVDs, and I'm sure in a year or so they'll have hundreds of HD DVDs. So at an average of $20/DVD, I can only imagine how much their libraries are worth! :eek: :cool:

8. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I only collect DVDs if only the movie is, like, totally awesome. So in that case, I have about 6 or 7 DVDs that I own. The others I rent and return the next day.

9. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i only have ~100 movies, although if you factor in discs it would be a bit more..... but i have slowed my pace with DVDs for now, i have picked up in the music area, it switches every now and then between the two, lately its been album after album, i'm up to 544 albums in iTunes

10. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

Holy crap I can't believe how many DVDs you guys own. I only buy TV Series because I can't justify paying $20 for a movie that I will watch once maybe twice.

So I have Seinfeld seasons 1-4 which is 12 discs, 24 seasons 1 and 2 which is 13 discs, and The Ultimate Gretzky which is 2 discs.

So I have 27 DVDs, but just from 3 different things.

11. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

Not nearly enough, currently I'm only at about 25. I spend most of my extra money on cd's though, maybe I should start doing as PlaceofDis does and switch my priorities occasionally.

12. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I'm guessing I have around 30. Many of which are SNL DVDs.

13. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

think about it this way though... two people to go see a movie in the theaters is ~20, to own a DVD that you can watch whenever and as many times as you want ~15-20 depending on the movie.... i know which i would rather have myself

14. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

it works out well, i spend one season or half the year racking up all the CDs i want and then the other one i use to get the DVDs, there are some that i want immediately so i grab them, but i usually dont have anything too aching....

one great way to do this is to just open up a word processor and keep a list of all the albums/movies you want, so you know what to get when the time comes, or if you see a deal on it or whatever

15. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

i'm prob like -200 or so then :)

downloading is a way of life for me

16. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

I'd say about 150-200. And I have NO intention of buying them again in another format to play on a different device (well maybe a select few).

17. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

I actually do something like that already, I have a wish list shelf going within Delicious Library. :)

18. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

It makes sense like that, but me and my friends always see movies while they're still in theatres. And any old movie that I want to see is something I would usually end up seeing alone so I just rent it.

19. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

According to Delicious Library, I have 368 when counting multi-disk sets as one. That total does not include the vast (100+) collection of Disney and Sesame Street-type DVD's we got for the kids. I've made a serious effort to slow down lately, because I'm starting to run out of room but this is the time of year when everything starts coming out. Kung Fu Hustle last week, Sin City (Willis and Alba cover variant for me, thanks) this week. I'm getting jumpy just thinking about what might be in next week's Best Buy and Target circulars.

20. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Your hot date might have a differing opinion.

21. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

whats more intimate? going to the theaters that is crowed and packed with loud rude people, or staying in, watching a movie at my place, with a candlelight dinner? and yes i am a romantic most of the time, it comes and goes... i have never gone out with a girl who preferred the former when offered the second

22. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

hehe. That's what I tell my wife when she rolls her eyes at me as I walk in the door with the yellow BB bag in hand: "Honey, if we had to get a sitter, buy two tickets, a drink and popcorn, you know we'd be up to $60-70. Look how much money we're saving by buying these DVD's instead!"

Yup...that convinces her every time. ;) :rolleyes:

23. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

amen my brotha.

1847 dvd's myself

24. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

clayj, the next time my wife calls me a geek (which should happen any minute now) I'm gonna point her to your DVD collection page. Whew! Did you extract the data from Dilicious Library and add the disk locations by hand, or what? ;)

Question: Did you get the Ultimate Matrix Collection with the Neo bust (like me), the regular edition, or both? :eek: :D

25. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Huh??? Is that a typo, like, you accidentally hit the 4 & 7 keys on your number pad? :eek: