How many first time Mac buyers?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ZBoater, Jul 24, 2011.

?

Did you ever own a Mac computer before you purchased a new MacBook Air?

1. Yes

77 vote(s)
    43.5%
  2. No

100 vote(s)
    56.5%
  1. macrumors 604

ZBoater

Ok, time for the unofficial poll of the day - how many first time Mac buyers lured to "the Dark Side" by the new MacBook Air? :D

Owning iPods or iPads doesn't count - did you own a Mac computer before you bought the new MacBook Air, or not?

2. macrumors newbie

Me... but it will be running Windows. The hardware is amazing. :D

3. thread starter macrumors 604

ZBoater

Yeah, Im running Windows in dual boot, but just gave it 20% of my disk. I can't quit cold turkey because of a couple of apps, but I intend to do my best to remove Windows within a year.

But Windows sure runs sweet on these new Airs!!! :cool:

4. macrumors regular

I too am new to the dark side, but will also be bootcamping seven as well. I'm in pc repair and maintenance and now have a number of mac clients, so have been running a hackintosh for about 18 months but have finally decided to spring for the real deal. :)

5. macrumors 68030

Patriot24

After about a year of research, I finally made the switch this week. I purchased a 13" i5 unit.

It only took me about a day to get comfortable. I would consider myself fairly tech savvy, but I found many things to more intuitive than Windows 7. To be clear, I think Win7 is a pretty good operating system. I was just ready for something new and I wasn't disappointed.

I agree that the hardest part of the switch is finding applications to replace your old windows-only staples. I purchased Office and found a few others that I've come to like better than their windows counterparts.

The only one that is looming is Photoshop. I had CS3 installed on my Win7 machine. I have been looking at Elements 9 in the Mac App Store, but haven't decided if I want to jump or not yet (I'm not a heavy user by any means, so Elements may be just enough). I need to read a few more reviews. The price seems amazing, though.

6. macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Do not necessarily constrain yourself to PS, especially since as you stated you're not a heavy user. Check out some other alternatives available in Mac App Store, such as Pixelmator. You may just be surprised what's available...and at what price.

Sorry for taking the thread off topic.

7. macrumors 6502a

First time. However I still have my desktop computer I built (for gaming and performance work).

I'm sticking with OS X Lion for my portable needs (for the Air), and Windows 7 on my desktop.

I feel as though both have their uses. I'm much more productive on Windows 7 though... it just is quicker for me based on the way it's laid out. Maybe over time things will change, but I don't know... will just have to see! :)

That said, I get the best of both worlds. If I ever decide I want to entirely switch to OS X Lion, then I can obviously do that. :) Right now I'm happy with both. I think the only reason I'd switch entirely, though, is if I were to give up on high performance gaming (high-end graphics cards and whatnot). I don't know if I want to do that quite yet :p Battlefield 3 is almost out!

p.s... I'm not quite liking the "Finder" application on the Mac. It doesn't seem to find anything lol. I wish it actually looked through everything on the computer so I could find what I need.

8. macrumors regular

The new Macbook Air is indeed my first Mac :)
    I do own an iPhone 4 though.

9. jpi
    macrumors newbie

I'm gonna order my new Macbook Air 13" in a couple days. It is going to be my first Mac computer and I am excited.
    It better lives up to the promises made! :p

10. macrumors newbie

Same here. My 13" i7 is my first Macbook Air and I'm quite impressed!

11. macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

While the Air isn't my entry into Mac, this year overall is my first year ever purchasing a Mac computer. I bought the new iMac back in June, and now the new Air for school.

12. macrumors 6502

Damn the iPods. iPods were the gateway drug to the dark side for me. Started innocently with an iPod mini, then the iPod Video. Next came the iPhone 3G, iPhone 4, iPad, Macbook Pro, iMac, iPad 2, and now the MBA :mad: (

13. macrumors member

Switching from Ubuntu. I'm suprised anyone here still wants to use Windows. It takes my quad core i7 a few minutes to boot into it, not to mention the time to login! Yet Ubuntu is as fast as a snap. Thank you Microsoft! Also today it decided that it's not geninue so it's not outputting sound, destroying my desktop, etc. :rolleyes:

14. thread starter macrumors 604

ZBoater

My MBA boots Windows 7 in less than 45 seconds... :cool:

15. macrumors 6502

16. macrumors member

Damn SSDs! Yeah I can't wait to have an SSD. My package is still in transit though :(

17. thread starter macrumors 604

ZBoater

Wow, the poll is pretty even. Looks like Apple's plans for world domination are right on track! ;)

18. macrumors member

MarcW

Awaiting delivery of MBA 13" i7, on Wednesday according to FedEx. It'll be my first personally owned Mac, but I've used them periodically over the years. I've been doing Windows since 3.1. I got the iPod Mini in 2004 and the iPad 2 earlier this year, and I plan to move from Blackberry to iPhone this fall when the new one arrives. Given all that, and that I was looking for a new machine to replace my 9 year old PC, it seemed like having an All-in-the-Family combination had some advantages. Plus, I bought Apple stock at $135 so I figure I've got a few extra bucks to spend :D

19. macrumors member

Booch21

I did some research last September when I began taking my 6 year old Dell to task. I had installed Windows 7 several months prior. I hadn't really given Mac a deserved look, but since I was now doing a great deal of audio/video work with Adobe's Production Premium package, I figured it was time to have a look. Having and Intel processor and being able to run Windows was appealing. So, I made the leap. Since then, I have pretty much moved away from the Windows platform and purchased Mac specific versions of Adobe and Office. The only time I fire up Windows now is to run my flatbed scanner. Since then, I have added the iPad and iPhone to the arsenal. Not a fanboy, but a huge fan of the simplicity and ease of use of the OS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

20. falconxp, Jul 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2011

macrumors newbie

Ordered an 11" i5/4GB/128GB as a replacement for my Sony TT (11.1" C2D SU9300/4GB/128GB SSD) which is getting a little slow.

The're currently no Windows alternatives for me in the 11" range with the quality of Apple/Sony. My Air is going to be dualboot Lion/Windows 7 x64.:D

I already owe a nice fast 13" in the form of a Sony Vaio Z13

21. macrumors 6502

LOL I'm with you mate bloody iPod mini in 2004 made me hooked, went iPod video , iPod touch, Mac Mini iPhone, iPhone 3gs, Macbook, iPad, iPhone 4 , Apple TV, iPad 2, Macbook Pro, Macbook Air.

I need help lol :apple::confused::cool:

Now I've clocked it up thats nearly 7k in Apple products , good luck newbies hope you manage the addiction better than me!!

22. macrumors 6502

Twe Foju

yes, i owned MBP 2007 before, and this is my 2nd Mac Laptop ( 1st Air )

and i am liking it so far, best laptop i've had so far

previously i owned M11X R2 before i finally sold it to buy an Air

23. macrumors member

This be my second Mac, first one had awful experience MacBook hard drive went out 3 times in one year. That year macrumors posted manufacture who makes hard drives for MacBooks was making bad ones then one drunk night lost my balance and broke it was told to just buy a new one due to how badly damage this is apples second shot at making me a convert for good from windows computers.

Ps. I have had 5 iPhones not due to problems but from upgrading.

24. macrumors regular

I plan on buying one soon, so it will be my first Mac!! I've been using Windows my whole life and have been on/off with Linux. I absolutely love the new Ubuntu and when I finally played on a Mac recently, it really gave me that same feeling of love.

Not to derail the thread but...if you are running windows on bootcamp or whatever..do you need to buy a separate copy of windows/serial key or whatever?

25. macrumors newbie

I've been using PCs for about 10 years but most people at work use Macs for Osirix, which you can't get on Windows.

I felt it was time for a new computer so took the plunge. I'm pretty pleased with it so far. I don't like the way files are laid out, though. I still prefer the PC format. The Trash is a little fussy, too. It won't always empty when I want it to.

I'm sure these things will sort themselves out, given time.

I managed to set up a wireless network external HD without too much of a problem, and now only have the possibly fiddly task of introducing iTunes to my vast music collection.

We shall see what happens.