How many frequent flyer miles does your Mac have?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Doctor Q, Sep 17, 2003.

1. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Los Angeles
    If you got "frequent flyer" miles for the distance your PowerBook or iBook has traveled with you (by air, train, bus, car, or any other way), how many miles would you have?

My PowerBook (and a former iBook) accumulated no significant mileage, but I'd like to hear from you road warriors!
  2. janey macrumors 603

Dec 20, 2002
    sunny los angeles
    a LOT. seriously. but not as much as Josh's iBook.
  3. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

Jan 2, 2001
    Metairie, LA
    not too much I imagine...

if I guestimate my trips in the last 2.5 years...

maybe 14,000 miles or so by air...

no clue by car...I've brought my TiBook on a few road trips...and all around town...7,000 miles maybe?
  4. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Oct 21, 2002
    Hmmm, Never by air. (I was just thinking about that yesterday, would I ever risk my precious TiBook to airport security? I don't know...)

By Car probably 15,000. (I never go anywhere without my laptop, and I have put about 15000 miles on my car in the last 10 months.
  5. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    none with me...maybe less than 200 miles by car...i usually take my PC with me to school

but i know a marine biologist with a clamshell firewire ibook and he brings it with him on trips for data and digital pictures he takes under the he has a considerable amount of boat miles on that thing..he has kept it dry mostly and a couple of times some idiot on the his crew has tossed it on board like most of the other (non-breakable) stuff and it still works
  6. vollspacken macrumors 65816

Oct 17, 2002
    Boogie-Down Berlintown
    my trusty tiBook has only been on the flight from Chicago -> Copenhagen -> Hannover

hehe, I edited some footage with iMovie and listened to some David Axelrod music on iTunes while on the transatlantic leg, surfed the web through Wi-Fi at the Copenhagen airport (took some photographs with my digicam and instantly sent them to my friends so that they knew I was on my way...), and still had battery life left to check my eMails when I came home:

:D :D :D

7. Stike macrumors 65816

Jan 31, 2002
    I dont have a portable, but my iPod has traveled almost always with me.
    I guess the pod has about 35.000 km (over 21.000 miles) on the counter.
    And this is only by car. In over one year. Man, I am travelling a lot ;)
  8. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    wow, that is amazing

the wi fi, is that a t-mobile account? i know starbucks uses that in their ibook should work they's just that i have to have the specific t-mobile account

also many hours do you get on your tibook? my rev a ibook, when it was new, gave me about four and a half hours with regular use with internet, games, and a normally lit screen...i know one can get well over five and close to six if they dim the screen
  9. vollspacken macrumors 65816

Oct 17, 2002
    Boogie-Down Berlintown
    at Copenhagen Airport you just open your browser and it automatically opens a page on which you can pay for an hour of Wi-Fi with your credit card, fast, no hazzle, cheap (sorry, but I forgot how much it was...)

I still get about 3 and a half hours of battery with Airport turned on and the screen dimmed to 75%, doing normal work (listening to music, eMails, web, text stuff)

turning off Airport and reducing processor performance will increase battery time.
    my computer is set to go to sleep after 3 minutes, so I get pretty good "mileage" out of it... ;)

I did not use the computer the entire 7 hours of the transatlantic flight of course...

10. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    that is cool that the airport detects your computer with an open browser...but that is also kind of scary in a way

if ever i do wireless out in public, i know i won't really do anything with sensitive information

now, as for macrumors, everybody is free to listen in, PC users may learn something:p
  11. ibjoshua macrumors 6502a

Jan 17, 2002
    iBook bought via eBay from the states and delivered to Melbourne, Oz. That trip not counted.

So . . .

Melbourne - Wellington return @ 5,176 km, twice = 10,352 km

Melbourne - Sydney return @ 1,414 km

Melbourne - Tokyo one way @ 8,210 km

total: 19,976 km

12. Balin64 macrumors 6502a

Jul 23, 2002
    In a Mauve Dream
    More than 90,000 Miles total!

My iBook and I have globe trotted! I got my iBook for a job that required travel. I got my Northwest WorldPerks account at the same time, and so far, I have accumulated 80,000 miles. So, accounting for miles by car, bus and train, it comes out to around 90,000. I've taken it everywhere: 23 states in the U.S. plus, Amsterdam, London, Dublin a few times. I had a second battery for it. I could work as soon as I got on the plane, and keep it on long enough to watch two DVD's: all the way from Minneapolis to London. Alas, I sold my beloved travel companion, but I just got a new 12" PowerBook, we'll see how many miles we can acquire together!
  13. TEG macrumors 604

Jan 21, 2002
    Langley, Washington
    With Me, about 15,000 to 18,000 miles. Seattle, WA to Flint, MI round trip 3 times. (Since then, I've been driving 'cross-country instead of flying)

Without me (i.e. Shipped of for repair) 10,000 + miles.

14. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Jan 1, 2002
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Hm. Let's see.

Two trips to DC. Two to Erie. One to Upstate New York. A few trips to Toronto.

Into West Virginia for numerous hiking trips with the D100.

Soon to go to NYC for an Omolara show. Also we'll be doing shows in DC soon, so another trip there, a planned roadtrip to chicago.

And then my jaunt to Italy in November where i'll probably also hit Switzerland and Spain.

Hm. That plus numerous client meetings...I hardly leave home without it. So probably over 30k miles in total.

My buddy dug has taken his iBook to Mexico, Arizona, and burning man. And numerous trips to Toronto. So yea. he's got a more travelled iBook than i do (and one that survived the desert. twice)

But yea. the band travelling will probably put some miles on the Tibook and the Saab. :D
  15. rhpenguin macrumors 6502a

Jun 10, 2003
    London, Ontario
    My iBook gets about 1000KM+ a week. More if i go anywhere on weekends (which i usualy do). Ive owned the beast since March.

I must say though, this thing is holding up to the travel a lot better than my viao did. Two weeks after buying it the screen and hard drive died so i sold it on ebay.
  16. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    i don't fly with laptops but....

i looked under my laptop and it said, "i was Assembled in Taiwan", so at least my little ibook took the trip out to the west coast from asia all by its little lonesome

kind of strange being that i live just south of the silicon valley in california but they have not built machines there for some time now....perhaps never

at one time there was a tremendous amount of manufacturing in the valley but that has diminished to a great degree...even many of the programmers who once worked here are now outsourced around the world

i can see the silicon valley one day as little more than business administrative offices for computer companies and even some of those have moved to texas or nevada where they don't have to pay as much corporate and property tax
  17. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Dec 26, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
    Duff-Man says...hmmm, I've got over 80,000 flyer miles which are credited at I would say....a heck of a lot......oh yeah!
  18. ibookin' macrumors 65816

Jul 7, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yeah, mine just got back from a trip to New York, actually. :D