How many Gamers do we have out there?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by mischief, Mar 27, 2002.

1. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

The Dice and Paper type. Not the Diablo II type.

Amber Diceless RPG and Minds Eye Theatre count but not the computer variants or card games.

I bought my first dice for Palladium's TMNT and the Megaverse is still my favourite.

Current systems:

Palladium (RIFTS, PFRPG, Robotech, Macross 2)

AD&D

2nd edition D&D box set.

Rune Quest

White Wolf's WOD system (Hardback AND LARP versions)

Amber Diceless RPG

Cyberpunk 2020 (serious injection of house rules)

I think that about covers it.........I'm fluent in Car Wars, Paranoia, and Star Wars as well.

:D

2. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

hmm...

I play the chess game that came with OS X!! :p

3. lordsinforge macrumors member

AD&D 2ed
    DragonLance
    Planescape
    Council of Wyrms

Traveller (when I could figgure the damn rp system out)_

Shadowrun, not only a cool game but the sourcebooks are damn fun to read.

:)

All this was when i was in Highschool, I don't have the time for it anymore, So I stick to d2 and such and contribute to Arianne as much as I can

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

5. DavidCL23 macrumors 6502

The mac osx chess game is too easy, it needs improvment, hopefully in the 10.2 build.

6. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Hmm... I guess Quake 3 Arena doesn't really fit into this category... :D

7. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I think I have some "Magic: The Gathering" cards in my closet somewhere...

8. King Cobra macrumors 603

I am not a hardcore game user, but I found an incredible Chess game for OS X (and OS 8.6). The game options take some getting used to, but once you get the hang of it, it becomes pretty simple.

www.sigmachess.com

I have used it since version 4 and it has absolutely no major errors. It isn't exactly beginner-level, either. But it is a really neat chess game.

It does not take a genius to figure it out . . . just someone who uses a Mac.

9. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

have you tried vektor chess (for OSX)? It gives a nice break down of moves.

10. King Cobra macrumors 603

Do you have a link? Because I cannot seem to find it on Altavista or download.cnet.com If it is free I will give it a shot.

11. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

Can anyone explain this?

Castle Wolfenstein (the multiplayer Demo Version) rocks! I can't believe it's free. But I'm worried now about going out and buying the full version.

Why?

Because since I switched broadband providers, my ping rate has slipped. I used to get 30 and 40's - but not anymore. The game isn't fluid at all!

Now - I know what you're going to say - my old service was faster. No, it isn't. PacBell DSL got me 1220 down/50 up. My NEW service (T1) gets me 1300 down / 1300up. So what gives?? Why is Wolfenstein MP sluggish?

12. mischief thread starter macrumors 68030

mischief

re: bandwidth.

Although you have a thicker pipe now your ISP may be totally choked. The 'net is WAY less than homogenous once you get out into the land of Fibre. The slow ping rate is more a measure of bottlenecks further up the chain than it is of the bandwidth between you and your ISP.

13. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

Hmm. I see you live in Santa Cruz. I'm in Oakland...

I just moved across the Bay from SF. What else (besides my ISP) could be the problem?? I seemed to connect to Wolfenstein MP's servers really well before...

14. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

15. King Cobra macrumors 603

Just tried it.

The program, Vektor3, is all right, but it is shareware. I usually use free products, unless I am forced to pay for something I really enjoy, or if I want to pay for something (the shareware kings must be yelling at me right now!).

In Sigma Chess, you get lots of board and piece sets, much more appropriate and more prominent colors, a customizable board, and an option that can change how fast opponent pieces move on the board, all for free.

16. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Done AD&D but got dissatisfied with it after several years. Was introduced to TMNT and then grabbed hold of Rifts. I am addicted to Rifts, but it is hard to find other gamers in my area. I have a old college bud that will be running a game with me in a weekend or two (waiting for my TiBook to come back to me, oh how I miss it so). Maybe a few of us could get together via a chat engine and have ourselves a nice blood bath???

Also tried MERP once... every time I was fighting something I always tried to get the disembowlement roll for damage.. gotta love it when a game lists that as a critical hit result :D. Yes, I am one sick bastard, but I am a happy one, for the most part.

17. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I'll get Sigma Chess and get back to you. Sounds like a good version.

18. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

I play...

Black and White (just bought it... totally awesome game!)
    Wolfenstein (Multiplayer Demo... is the full version out already!?)
    Tony Hawk Pro 2
    The Sims (Carbonized version for OS X)
    Otto Matic (I still don't get how to beat the tractor thing)
    GLTron (the best game to play when friends are over!)
    TuxRacer(cute, funny, addictive penguin slider game)

huh.

there.

irmongoose

19. Ifeelbloated macrumors regular

I'm very selective about the games a buy these days. I've bought one too many stinkers in my early days of computing.
    The one game that I to this point have loved absolutey was 'Rune' by Humanhead Studios. Totally brutal 3rd person perspective melee combat. Loved the storyline, the graphics were gorgeous, gameplay was tricky and required some thought. Not just mindless slaughter. Absolutely loved it. Too bad the developer didn't make any money off of it so they said they won't be making a sequel(too much piracy I guess). Damn shame.
    I'm looking forward to 'Clive Barkers: Undying' based on the Unreal game engine coming out soon; also, 'Medal of Honor: Allied Assault' based on the Quake 3 game engine. I haven't played Quake but I've heard a lot of good things about it. Then there's 'Halo' that is supposed to come out later in the year. I may get a Gforce 4Ti card just for these titles. Looks like a good year to come for Macgamers.

20. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i am not a hardcore gamer and the only game i am in are these flamewars...he he

wasn't there a time when macs dominated the gaming world, or at least had a "biiger" share of the gaming market than they have now?

the pc gaming world seems to be so huge these days...maybe even bigger than x-box/gamecube/nintendo...perhaps? i wish i had more time for games but i like to spend free time (or stolen moments) on this great forum

high game scorer: eyelikeart 1,550+ posts:D

21. mischief thread starter macrumors 68030

mischief

Huh, not that many. Shocking.

I'm rather suprised that a seemingly geek-rich community has only 3 gamers that know what a D20 is.

There do seem to be a few Game-happy mac-users out there but for the most part these seem to be using the digital type.

Doesn't anyone play chess on a board anymore?:eek: :confused:

22. mischief thread starter macrumors 68030

mischief

Hey Alphatech..........

Do you use the stock RIFTS world or do you use a house-generated default or perhaps a module??

I always found the default Earth a bit cartoony for my liking.

If you enjoy the Powergaming potential of Rifts and the detailed hit data from MERPS you'd like my Cyberpunk house rules. I added a magic system similar to White Wolf's and tweaked the dammage and shock tables to reflect anatomy better.

23. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Re: How many Gamers do we have out there?

We seem to have strayed some into exactly the Diablo II type.

Unfortunately, when I moved to SF, it involved moving away from the crew I used to game with. We had an amazingly cool Dark Sun campaign going on, and then I started experimentally running an Alternity/StarDrive campaign (nice system -- too bad WotC canned it). I used to really get into Shadowrun and Earthdawn, and I've got a few White Wolf sourcebooks, but never really got to play them much.

Nowadays my old crew and I get together on Everquest, which is a poor substitute for "real" gaming (probably why I never became an EverCrackhead), but it at least gets me together with people I don't get to see face-to-face anymore. We're kind of hoping that Neverwinter Nights will be as good as it better damn well be considering how long Bioware's making us wait so that we can get back to some semblance of a GM-run game with a coherent storyline.

24. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

mischief,

It all depends on who is running the game. Typically, we set it someplace other then where the books detail, so that we have room to be creative. I have either played in, or run more then a few games that were set off planet (used different sources, such as the Aliens Unlimited book or Phase World). I have also created my own races, or mutations on others. I don't usually work with 'stock' races unless they are really well done (few are). Luckily, the other persont that I game with, allows me a good amount of freedom to customize the character. I usually search through all the books I have for the equipment to get just what I want. I also have been favoring assassins lately (love being a sniper :D ). This has forced me to run away some times, when being activly hunted after making a hit. But I usually set up at least a few escape routes ahead of time before making the hit. I also like the real long range weapons (2000 yard plus range) so that by the time the person drops, I am already on the move. It's hard to beat a hit where you take a guy out when he is relaxing and has removed his armor. A shot from an MDC weapon just takes out his torso :D. 'He's DEAD Jim' gotta love it :D

If you have ICQ or any other chats (yahoo and aim, since I have those three), send me a private message. Maybe we can get together for a game/blood fest sometime. The bud that I game with is down in Savannah, GA, but we connect via ICQ at nights and on the weekends. You might need to send him a character sheet for review a week ahead since he is rather busy making some orc's (Tolkein style) that are on the web (for sale, not free). He is a better artist then I could ever hope to be, but I am also a better tech then he will ever be :D. It all works out though.

25. me hate windows macrumors 6502

me hate windows

Whatever happened to Bugdom and Nanosaur? Are they not compatible with OS X, I see why they wouldn't have them though, since they are trying to promote X, and not 9 anymore.

Nanosaur was really fun:(, but I never played Bugdom.