How many gigs does os x take up

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mashinhead, Jun 2, 2006.

1. mashinhead macrumors 68020

I just installed a new HD. Haven't dl anything or put software on it, i'm down to 76, from 100. is that right? It says 3-4 gb on the site? how did so much get lost?

2. AppleGuy08 macrumors 6502

AppleGuy08

if you wanted to shave off a few gigs you could get this program...im not sure of the name exactly, but it gets rid of all of the languages that you wont ever be needing. (if any1 knows the name of this prog, please post it) in the main setup for mac OSX (when your installing it) you can choose the printer drivers u want to install. the extras take a a gig or 2. if you dont use garage band, get rid of it. its a few gigs.

a few months back i picked up a 180 gig hdd from walmart for 130. i got it home and i couldnt find anything to put on it! lol so i took it back n got my money. i only bought the 180 because it was 130 (tax included) and the 80 gig was 100! (tax included) for only 30 dollars more i got 80 more gigs...good deal or wut?

3. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

When you say 100GB, do you mean the manufacturer's spec (=100,000,000,000 Bytes) or what the computer would measure (=100x1024x1024x1024 Bytes)?

Same question goes for the 76GB you say you have now.

I presume you're probably reading the initial size from the manufacturers specs. This equals 93GB as measured by the computer, and I guess you're measuring 76GB from the computer. So you have 17GB to find.

/Library will take close to 8GB, /System 2GB, /Applications maybe 3GB, 2GB for /usr and /bin together. That's 15GB. Plus a few more 100s MB for other directories.

By the way, OS X itself doesn't take up that much - the applications and application support files take up the bulk of the disk space.

4. NJuul macrumors 6502

Macaroni will do the trick, as well as a few other handy things. Pretty good little program for keeping the system happy.

http://www.atomicbird.com/

5. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

The 8Gb in the library are from iLife, assuming you installed from your restore CDs.

I have actually made a full working Panther install, including some apps, that was no bigger than a gig and a half. That was so I could install it on the original iMac with a 6gig hard drive.