How many got the U2 iPod

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Phat_Pat, Sep 17, 2005.

1. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

Well its been a while since the u2 iPod was released... and i haven't heard much if anything about it.

So how many people actually bought it?

Do you think it was a good idea to release it?
    :confused:

2. iGary Guest

iGary

It needs to go away. Buh bye.

3. doucy2 macrumors 65816

doucy2

i think it was one of apple worst apple's ideas
    they could have done much better
    it only is marketed to a certain group of people (people who live u2)

4. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

That iPod is so old, it's all about the Harry Potter iPod now ;)

5. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I don't know anyone who bought the U2 iPod. I've never seen one in person either.

6. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

Same here. I have seen them at the stores, though.

I don't like them, at all. I think they are ugly and agree with the above poster that it is Apple's worst marketing decisions.

7. jonat8 macrumors regular

I was thinking of getting one because it was black (well, and red but mostly black). But they're expensive for what they are and now the black Nano has come out I think I'll buy that instead.

I do like the red and black design though. It's nice and different in a sea of white iPod's ;)

8. jiv3turkey748 macrumors 6502a

jiv3turkey748

ive never seen one outside of a store

i think people dont buy them because its not worth the extra money for a different color and some cheesy signatures on the back

9. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I love the U2 iPod, I think it looks great. Of course, I'm a fairly big U2 fan. I don't have one, but my brother does, so there really are people who have them. He and I went in half and half on The Complete U2 as well, and he and I both have it on our iPods. He got his U2 iPod for Christmas last year, so it's got a monochrome screen, not color like the current ones.

All in all I think it was a good idea for Apple to release it. I'm sure it boosted sales of The Complete U2, and it's not like it costs more for Apple to make it, yet they can sell it for more money.

10. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

I personally think it was a terrible idea. However I do know 2 people that have one. I think it would have done a lot better if it was just a black and red ipod, instead of a U2 iPod. I would have bought one, except I just don't like U2 enough. I love the blackness though.

11. .:*Robot Boy*:. macrumors 6502

Did Apple ever give a reason as to why they chose U2? I wonder what other bland, 'lowest-common-denominator' bands they considered before they picked U2 :rolleyes:

12. Phat_Pat thread starter macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

I've never even heard of someone consider it to be honest. I'm not quite sure why they even still have it.

Any ways its nice to see that I'm not alone in considering it was a really strange idea.

13. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

I really really like it. wish I had gotten it but the Mini was in mt price range. would love one

14. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Well "The Game" had one in the beggining of the "How we Do" video, made me want to get one(must have boosted the sales quite a bit), they do look pretty cool, i just don't like the engravings on the back of it,

ShadOW

15. CaptainHaddock macrumors 6502

Apple is cool, the iPod is cool, and U2 is cool, so you'd think the U2 iPod would be cool. But I think it's a bit silly compared to the other iPods.

1. Price: It's only a 20 GB iPod, but it costs more than the regular 20 GB. In fact, it was $350 when it first came out, and it's still $30 more than the regular 20.

2. Look: Black is cool, but the red click-wheel looks kind of weird. If the wheel had been black or dark grey, it would have looked better.

3. Extras: So you pay $30 for some iTunes coupons? Not worth it, unless you're a huge U2 fan. There are plenty of cheap or free ways to get all those songs, and if you're a big fan, you probably have the CDs anyway.

So like jiv3turkey748 points out, it's $30 for some engravings on the back and a different colour on the front. Heck, I'd buy the white iPod even if the U2 one cost less.

16. CaptainHaddock macrumors 6502

Addendum

Addendum:

For their next revision, Apple should offer:
    1. A white iPod
    2. A black iPod
    3. An all-red U2 iPod with free U2 music.
    4. An all-blue Harry Potter iPod with a free Harry Potter audiobook.

:)

17. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

I like the look of the U2 iPod but I don't like the fact it's "U2 Themed", with their logo and signatures on the back.

I'd like to see it go.

18. spb macrumors member

spb

well i love U2 and bought the U2 iPod and it looks great. i'd rather have the black one instead of the plain white. look so much better.

19. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

i got one for my husband at christmas, and he likes it. in fact, i'd first gotten him a larger capacity ipod (40gb, i think) and he wanted to exchange it to get the u2 one. he didn't like the plain white of the regular ipods and wanted something different. he's not a huge fan of u2, but does have a lot of their albums. in retrospect, since he just liked the color scheme so much, i should have gotten him a plain ipod and had a custom color job done by colorware or something...

20. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Well, the U2 iPod was "limited edition", and it's still around, which suggests to me that Apple made a bunch of them but can't get rid of 'em....

21. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

I wish it would go away, it throws the whole line's uniformity off.