How many have you converted?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by satans_banjo, Nov 13, 2005.

1. satans_banjo macrumors regular

Sep 12, 2005
    SE London
    As a relatively new Mac user (I got my first Mac about 5 months ago) and a 16-year-old (meaning none of my friends could actually afford a Mac) I haven't managed to convert any PC users to the ways of OS X. How many people have all of you converted to Mac? By "Converted" I mean they have actually bought a Mac based on your wisdom, rather than just wished they could get one after you showed them how the windows minimise.
  2. Dale Cooper macrumors regular

Dale Cooper

Sep 20, 2005

I've converted my brother. Sold him my old PB...
  3. California macrumors 68040

Aug 21, 2004
    my mom, my stepdad, one distant friend, two very good friends, my best friend, my best friend's daughter, my best friend's son, and was about to convert another biz partner but the biz partner part fell through so they are getting a Dell briefcase for Xmas to go along with their pitiful Dell laptop.
  4. Lycanthrope macrumors 6502

Nov 1, 2005
    Brussels, Belgium, Europe
    Well I've only had my iMac for 1 week now but everyone that comes to the house can't keep their eyes (and hands) off it so there's certainly some seeds of desire being sown there :)
  5. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

Jun 29, 2004
    9 that i know of...

2 Sisters
    3 Friends
    2 Random people (bought my computers)
  6. caveman_uk Guest

Feb 17, 2003
    Hitchin, Herts, UK
    4 work colleagues
    1 Father-in-Law (work in progress)
  7. DJY macrumors 6502a

Dec 20, 2003
    Canberra AUST
    I'm not sure but I think I'm up to 7 or 8 since June 04 when i switched...
    That doesn't count the other three friends who have switched as well, but I don't believe I was an influence for them.

Mmm maybe I should become an Apple Reseller and get commissions!
  8. hopejr macrumors 6502

Nov 10, 2005
    New South Wales, Australia
  9. aznspyder macrumors member

Oct 24, 2005
    California and Bangkok
    Isn't "switcher" the official term for a person who converted from Windows to Mac?

Anyway, I'm a switcher myself and my really close friend is still questioning me on why I made the switch. Both of us used to swear by Windows, but I was just sick and tired of all the viruses, spyware, etc. One day, I'll let him actually use my iBook, and then he'll hopefully understand why Macs are also great.
  10. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

Apr 21, 2003
    washington dc
    5 Total

3 girlfriends (2 of them ex's now)
    2 friends
  11. Kernow macrumors 65816

Sep 30, 2005
    A grand total of zero. I came so close to converting my sister when she was looking to buy a laptop last year but she fell back to the dark side at the very last minute.

I am working on all the people in my class at college though (it also helps that we exclusively use Macs at college, but I will take full credit if and when anyone switches). I have two borderline cases at the moment I am watching carefully. :D
  12. tobefirst macrumors 68040

Jan 24, 2005
    St. Louis, MO
    I've converted my sister as of two years ago and she could not be happier. She's looking to get her second Mac. One of my buddies has seen the light, but he is not yet a Mac user. When he's ready to upgrade that HP thing of his, he'll become Number 2.
  13. cleanup macrumors 68030

Jun 26, 2005

And I think she regrets it.

I'm horrible.

She's probably the worst candidate for a switcher.

She's in an Arabian-language university, where she studies Arabic. Naturally, Microsoft Word is a bastard and won't render Arabic properly, much less Hebrew. Had to buy Mellel for her. doesn't display properly apparently.

ActiveX Control Video (also on Al Jazeera) doesn't work.

The most perfect-for-Windows person ever. :(
  14. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    If I started converting people, I would (1) lose a small part of my aura of superiority, and (2) have to provide even more tech support. :rolleyes:
  15. satans_banjo thread starter macrumors regular

Sep 12, 2005
    SE London
    works fine for me. firefox and safari. maybe she's using IE for mac
  16. iSaint macrumors 603

May 26, 2004
    South Mississippi y'all, near the water!
    None, yet. My brother is close. He bought a 12" hp laptop and it's starting to fall apart. So he's thinking he may try a Mini someday. He currently has a rebuilt w2k machine, which actually runs pretty well. But, he's put a lot of money into it.

I had one of my college-bound kids from my youth group sold, but his parents probably made the final decision on his Toshiba laptop. He said Macs were overpriced. I priced him an iBook with the software he bought, and it came out to be the same as the Toshiba with the extras he bought.

A friend in seminary at Sewanee has converted several classmates.
  17. devman macrumors 65816

Apr 19, 2004
    ok, so you need to keep lots of girlfriends... ;) it's all for a good cause you know :)
  18. devman macrumors 65816

Apr 19, 2004
    in about a year and a half - 14 that I know of. Some family, some work friends, and some clients.
  19. Daedalus256 macrumors 6502

Nov 7, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I've started to convert my girlfriend. When I got my Powerbook, I started showing it off to pretty much everyone and showed everyone how amazingly better OSX is compared to Windows.

She's in the market for a Powerbook now :D
  20. DaveP macrumors 6502

Mar 18, 2005
    None. Most of my family/friends are relatively knowledgable users and don't buy "new" computers. They just upgrade old machines. Same thing for my windows machine. I don't have an original component on it. It started out as a gateway my Dad bought about 6 years ago. The monitor was original until a few months ago when I got an LCD. Anyways, they don't have much of a reason to switch and really never buy a complete computer.
  21. hookahco macrumors regular

Jun 11, 2005
    To Live n Die in L.A. California
  22. SummerBreeze macrumors 6502a

Sep 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I haven't really converted anyone, which is a bit sad. My brother is a huge gamer, and he has a nice PC, so he would just be unhappy with a Mac. My Mom won't give up AOL, but with some tips from me she has managed to keep her Toshiba laptop running perfectly without spyware. My dad is an artist, he's been using Macs for 10 years so there's no need to convert him.

As far as my friends go, my 12" PowerBook has definitely intrigued them. My roommates always talk about how cute my computer is, and how it always works better on the internet. My best friend wants to buy an iBook when her bottom-of-the-line HP notebook finally dies so that's pretty cool.

The one that pisses me off is my other best friend, who just recently bought a (ginormous) 17" HP computer that is too huge to carry anywhere and that was dead and bogged down from spyware two weeks after it arrived. She says she needs to have this system for Photoshop....I tell her she's crazy. Hopefully she will see the light.
  23. TrenchMouth macrumors 6502

Nov 21, 2002
    i got my sister to switch back in the a performa 6100, and then i told her to switch back to intel a few years later, and then i got them to switch back to mac again after either i am convincing...or they just trust me too much...

other than her, i think i can count up about 4-5 other people that i have "encouraged" along the way. in fact, i am going to the apple store on PGA in an hour to help a friend shop for one for med school.
  24. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jul 14, 2005
    Well, my dad converted me because he's an engineer and uses macs almost exclusively. So after I saw the light, I felt a deep desire to spread the gospel unlike any religion has ever compelled me to do so. In the past few months I've switched one (who's still saving up), one is pending, and I'm working on a third.

But I gotta say, I don't think I'd have switched from Win98 to OS 9 if someone tried to convince me, but then again I was young and naive back then so I thought 98 was great. It's when hooked up to high speed internet that OS X really shines...or rather XP falls down...hard.