Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

YaBoiD

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2011
I plan on shooting a lot of video so I want to make sure I purchase either 32GB or 64GB versions. Hopefully there is an option in which to select 720P as well. Question I have is just how much 1080P video can a 32GB and 64GB iP4S record? I have looked around on Apple's site and haven't seen any related info on this. Any idea? TIA

Sp71Supra

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2007
I was going to just get the 32gb version as I listen to Pandora a lot and don't have much music on my iPhone. Although with the 1080p video I think its a good idea to get the 64gb, plus its better for resale. If you have the extra $$ I would get it, thats just my opinion.

Frenchjay

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
1 hour = 3.6 gb. After someone pointed out that the 4s 1080p video Apple put out was 36mb for 36 seconds of footage.

I minute 60mb

10 minted 600mb

1 hour 3600mb

YaBoiD

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2011
Good point. However with the addition of iCloud, I'm thinking I may free up a lot of physical storage on my phone. Does iCloud support video also or just pictures?

100Teraflops

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Elyria, Ohio
I'd like to know too! I started to research, then I was discouraged because I could not find any information.

Thanks Frenchjay! My camera (Canon 60d) is limited to 10-11 minutes per film clip continuously, I wonder if the 4s will be similar?

Last edited:

Frenchjay

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
You would get around 5 1/2 hours of straight footage from a 32gb. Taking into consideration the gb's taken out of a 32gb for the os.

Not bad at all and once you have synced that footage you can clear it off the phone :)

YaBoiD

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2011
Thanks for the breakdown. I might just get the 32GB version again. Still curious about vids and iCloud though...

Frenchjay

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
I'd like to know too! I started to research, then I was discouraged because I could not find any information.

Thanks Frenchjay! My camera (Canon 60d) is limited to 10-11 minutes per film clip continuously, I wonder if the 4s will be similar?

That is something I do not know. I've never taken a video longer than 20 minutes but I can't imagine it would cut you off unless the battery run out or storage space.

You're welcome :)

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Good point. However with the addition of iCloud, I'm thinking I may free up a lot of physical storage on my phone. Does iCloud support video also or just pictures?

I think iCloud just mirrors what you tell it to backup, it doesn't actually save you space. I could be wrong but I've been running iOS 5 for a day and it seems like a backup solution, not necessarily a cloud storage locker where you can put files away and access them.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
I could be wrong, but I think the file size of a video has much to do with the subject matter. In photography, a photo of a white piece of paper on a white background has a far smaller file size than a photo of a dense forest shot with the same camera and settings.

Frenchjay

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
I could be wrong, but I think the file size of a video has much to do with the subject matter. In photography, a photo of a white piece of paper on a white background has a far smaller file size than a photo of a dense forest shot with the same camera and settings.

Yes I think detail will make the file size different. Since the Apple test video was shot with some detail it wouldn't be mad to suggest the 1mb a second for the file size. I guess once you get the phone you can perform some tests by shooting a video then looking up the file size in the General>>settings>>usage tab in Ios5 which shows how many mb/gb an app takes up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.