How many hours to design a Photoshop mockup?

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by Pierce, Jul 27, 2009.

1. macrumors newbie

Pierce

I am curious what your "average" time frame is for designing a website "mockup" in Photoshop. Here is an example situation. Small information site with 6-8 pages. The client wants to see one or two mockups of just the home page.

I know there are many variables to this equation like experience, type of site , etc. But I am curious to know how many hours people spend on designing a site?

2. macrumors 6502a

Dal123

Learning Learning Learning

Wow, I never thought of mocking everything up in Photoshop. That's a great idea.
    As you can tell I am a complete novice, I have spent about a solid month working mine out lol :eek:. And I'm nowhere near done, I keep changing my mind :p and coming across problems every step of the way. But so interesting.

Can't wait to see what sort of money and time are spent on sites.

3. macrumors 65816

The revision to my personal/business website took around 10 evenings, but thats basically 5 different pages, plus some revisions, plus I'm a picky so and so.

Client brief ones, usually about 3 hours per mockup but this may increase if the site design is a little more complex. Its only a mockup, fine tuning can be done in final development.

4. macrumors 6502a

Dal123

3 hours.

3 hours, you must be a complete pro. It's taking me days just to do my logo, I keep changing my mind, coming across problem after problem :eek:.

5. macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

This is part of a site I comped out in PhotoShop as a student project. Once I got the interface built it was fairly smooth going. The interface took me about 16 hours total and the remaining pages about 2 hours each. I'm not a web designer and this was the first time I tried something like this in PS.

Dale

Attached Files:

6. macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

3 Hours :eek:

I feel really stupid, it took a month to create just a logo for new client including testing and redesigns... And 2 months to create a 90 Seconds news graphics promotion.

Good design takes time.

7. macrumors 65816

ChicoWeb

That's like asking how long to build a car. What kind of car, what motor, what transmission, etc... I've had mock-ups take 3 hours and I've had them take 100 hours.

8. macrumors newbie

If i have a good client brief and when designing from a pre existing logo & colour scheme it would usually take me 2 - 4 hours in photoshop - another hour or so in html. That's for a fairly standard 'brochure' like company website.

Larger development projects can take me weeks to create something in photoshop.

9. macrumors 65816

Obviously it takes longer to get a final design, but my estimate of about 3 hours is for a concept mockup, it hasn't got to be 100% as long as it gets the idea across. I'm not sure about anyone else but I normally keep my old mockups too meaning often as not I can just tweak to suit the new brief :cool: Theres not html etc involved at this stage (it could be a complete waste of time after all)

Once the idea is approved then you do a final design etc which would add a bit more time onto it.

I don't include time for a logo (I spent about 7 days designing an updated logo for myself) etc in a mockup, this is a completely different process and would have been done before hand or supplied by the client.

10. macrumors 6502a

Quoted for truth.

11. macrumors 65816

ChicoWeb

We're about 200-225 hours for a social networking site. Obviously various pages. We're not even near complete either :eek: