How many iBook owners play DOOM 3 on their iBooks?

Discussion in 'Games' started by slooksterPSV, Oct 27, 2005.

1. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

I was playing DOOM 3 Demo on my iBook and it ran reasonably. How many of you play DOOM 3 Demo or even the Full version on their iBooks? Does it run ok? Or what?

2. DaftUnion macrumors 6502a

DaftUnion

The port for Doom 3 for mac wasn't good, and the framerate suffers because of the not-so-great port over. The windows version is faster...sorry to say...probably because they spent less time for the mac port...but I'm not 100% sure on that. I heard this somewhere before on here. It'll still run on mac ok, but you'll have to turn down the settings.

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I didn't think you could, the minimum specs are a 1.5GHz G4 and a 64MB video card. I didn't think it would even work on an iBook.

4. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

I played all the way through the demo, yes I did have a lot of hickups when going into a high open space hall or getting too many enemies (like 3), but other than that, it played really well. I love it. But scares the heck out of me.

5. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

It was reasonably playable on the G4 tower in my sig, which is pretty close to a new iBook spec other than the SATA hard drive.

6. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Are you nuts??

I can't even play it on my 1.67/2GB PowerBook...

7. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

it runs like ass on my amd 3500+ with x800, so personally i wouldn't try it on an ibook. but different people have different definitions of good performance, so if it's acceptable to you then i say go for it! it's a great game, and scares me more than any game or movie...

8. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

If that's true, you need to check your computer out. My Athlon64 3000 with a gig of RAM and a Radeon 9700 Pro ran it well enough at medium defaults; I haven't tried it out since adding another 512 MB RAM and a 6600GT, but it plays F.E.A.R. well enough, and Doom 3 is significantly easier to run.

That said, I would imagine iBooks would only barely scrape the bottom of the barrel in playable framerates, maybe enough for some but I need a consistent 40 to be happy.

9. jiv3turkey748 macrumors 6502a

jiv3turkey748

it runs great on my imac but i never thought it would run on an ibook

10. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

LOL. Doom 3 itself WASN'T good from a developing perspective even on the PC. Sorry when there isn't hardware on the market that can run the game with all the major settings turned onto high, or at least there wasn't when the game came out. How did they spin it? Its a game that will grow as new hardware shows up. Ah-huh. right. :rolleyes:

this just proves that one person's "reasonably" is anothers "OMG HELL NO"! :cool:

11. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Oh man, you guys are scared to run advanced hardware games on older hardware?!! I've learned that some games will, it all depends on what computer you use. The iBooks pump out more power than most think. During the slow parts, I think my FPS was about (this is the lowest it would hit) 8FPS, at max though it was about 60FPS.

12. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

That's it I'm getting screenshots that I take!

13. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Dude you're killing me, there's no way an iBook could get 60fps unless you're staring at a single polygon. :p

14. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

If I had a camera I would show you, is there a program to rate my FPS on Doom 3?

15. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

that's pretty much how every "How does [GAME] run on my [Mac Model]?" thread ends up here.

Personally I can usually enjoy an FPS game that averages in the mid 20's - I can tolerate a lot of choppiness. Many people require a more ideal framerate (i.e. 40-60+ FPS). So I can run Doom 3 on my 1.4GHz G4, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600 Pro and call it "reasonable" while the FPS junkie would probably call it "unplayable".

Bottom line: if you are anything more than a casual gamer Doom 3 is a no-go on the iBook, even the new one.

16. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

I have a disease where everything has to be all or nothing for me. That's why if I am playing doom 3, I want to get the full expierience. So I turn EVERYTHING on and it runs good for me. I would say a casual, maybe a little more intense player, would like fps around the 24(for the movie look) to 40fps. I mean, once you go past around maybe 30-40fps, your eys cant tell the difference anymore. So why bother playing a game at 120fps lie the new PS3? Example:

Myst 5: Playable at 20fps.
    Halo: Playable at 25fps
    Doom 3: 25fps
    Call of Duty: 30fps
    BF 1942: 40fps
    Total Immersion Racing: 40-50fps

Thats how I put it.

17. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

i suppose i should make these disclaimers: i run it at high settings, 1280x1024 if that makes any difference. i dont know how to count framerate but it gets really laggy a lot of the time...

18. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Heh. I run it on my Radeon 9600 at the same settings. Never gets too slow at all really. Quite smooth. Of course, the core is clocked to 475 up from 325, but maybe thats just me. o.o

19. carpe diem macrumors 6502

20. steelfist macrumors 6502a

and to add with that, neverwinter nights is playable from 15 fps and up.

21. maddav macrumors 6502

maddav

just played the Doom 3 demo on my iBook (1GHz, 512MB RAM) after reading this thread, well it played, and it was actually alright for the most part, but when those weird monstery things that use fireballs started attcking me, the slowdown really became cumbersome.

Quite frankly, I'm amazed it played at all!

22. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Remember, what statistics/requirements they say may not always be true. Each hardware is different in its own way. Personally, I'm wondering if the iB's are more powerful then the PB's in some aspects?

23. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

If you go by stats... there's absolutely no way... unless it's some freak engineering accident. Are you running the game full screen?

24. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Yeah, how do you take it out of full screen?

25. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

:eek:

It should be a checkbox in the System pane.