How many install licenses do you get with iWork 06?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SickMouthy, Jan 31, 2006.

1. SickMouthy macrumors newbie

A simple question, but I can't find an answer. I know the family pack gives you 6 installs, but does the standard edition only give you one? My girlfriend and I have just got a new iMac core duo each and I don't want to buy a family pack if we could both install the standard version for half the money (at education rates).

Thanks.

2. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

You have a license to install it on one computer.

3. SickMouthy thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll have to convince the g/f that she doens't want it then...

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You can buy a family pack for a little more that gives you 5 licences (under certain conditions)

5. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

1 license, 1 key, but there's no physical limit to installs. It's sketchy territory, even with 1 desktop and 1 laptop being used by the same person, let alone 2 computers being used by 2 people. But the only thing stopping you is going to be your ethics.

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Just install the damned thing on 2 computers.

However, seeing as how this restriction is so artificial, and seeing as how they'd be selling you the same software whether it was a family pack or individual pack, I'd just install it on her computer. I never understood why I couldn't install my software on my parents computer and my own, or on two of MY computers, even if both computers are on at the same time, or both computers are running that software simultaneously.

I'm pretty much completely against bootlegging software and getting it off of friends. Its not for all your friends to share, and yes, sharing that software amongst 10-100 of your close and not-so-close friends is illegal.

And the thing about this "family pack" is that your gf wouldn't be covered under the family pack since she's not a part of your family.

Just install it on her computer.

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

There are no keys (at least in my retail copy). When you install it doesn't ask you for a product key/license key to activate. There is nothing stopping you installing this on multiple Macs. It's really just up to you. The Family Pack is only £14 more in the UK (£69 vs £55)

8. SickMouthy thread starter macrumors newbie

I'd get it at education rate as I work at a university (and my girlfriend is a student) so it's actually half the price that way.

If it's just ethics stopping me, well... I did moral philosophy for a year at undergrad. I've done MUCH worse things in my life...

9. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I don't think there's an education family pack. So you'd have to buy two separate versions, to be completely ethical, anyway. But if you're just worried about ethics, how hard would it be to convince yourself that two copies are fine, as long as you're not both using it at the same time?

10. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

im not into downloading movies or softwere or whatever either but if i own the program, i will install on 2 machines if i had em.

11. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Really? '05 had a serial you had to put in. That's what I meant, a serial #. Not activation.

12. radiantm3 macrumors 65816

radiantm3

So does '06. I'm not sure what version he has.

13. dr_lha macrumors 68000

Forget what I said. I thought he was talking about iLife '06. No idea what license comes with iWork '06.

14. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You just made the same mistake that I have just realised I made. The poster is asking about iWork not iLife. iLife does not ask for a serial number, iWork does.

15. dr_lha macrumors 68000

D'oh! ;)