how many installations of Tiger come with a BTO iMac?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by buckuxc, Mar 31, 2005.

1. buckuxc macrumors regular

I'm extemely excited about tiger being released...but...well, I don't know if it's worth buying. I have a 1ghz 12in PB right now, which I love...however, I plan on purchasing an iMac in the fall, and the powerbook will complement the iMac (I do too much heavy lifting on my powerbook sometimes). Am I correct in thinking that if I buy the iMac, I can also install Tiger on my powerbook? or do I have to get a separate installation for the PB? If it's latter, then I might as well hop on the Tiger train before that rebate runs out.

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

you will have to buy a separate license of Tiger for you powerbook, the installation that comes with your iMac will be for only one machine

3. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

And besides the legal reasons, sometimes you get an install disk that only works on the new machine it came with. Sometimes, the installation disk will have the previous OS if a new OS is out. If Tiger was just released, the new iMac might come with a Panther installation disk and a Tiger upgrade. If Tiger has just been released and isn't included in the box, you can order an upgrade from Apple for about $20 S&H. But even then, you're supposed to buy Tiger separately for your other machines. If you have more than one machine that needs upgrading, you can buy a family pack for about $200. Apple doesn't really enforce the policy though, so technically you could just upgrade both if you have the upgrade disk. But you'd probably be better off just paying $129 for the full version.