How many iPhones will sell the first day?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by buymeaniphone, Mar 29, 2007.

1. buymeaniphone macrumors 6502

buymeaniphone

I'm interested in seeing what peoples opinions are on this topic. I think its possible for 1 million iphones to be sold first day. I might be a bit optimistic, but even Cingular said that 1 million people signed up to receive updates about the iPhone. I'm not sure if Apple is even prepared to sell that many first day but it could be possible.

2. StrayRooster macrumors member

3. nateDEEZY macrumors 6502a

I think apple could reach that in the first week, but thats pretty much dependant on how many they can ship by then.

4. MacbookSwitcher macrumors 6502

MacbookSwitcher

I think a very large number will be sold on the first day; they will not be able to produce them fast enough. The iPhone is going to be sold out for weeks after it's initial release. People are going to buy based on what was seen at MacWorld, the slick marketing, and the cool factor.

As I've said before, the important points will be how well it holds up as a phone and music player and internet device in terms of usability and quality.

5. buymeaniphone thread starter macrumors 6502

buymeaniphone

Imagine what people will be selling it for on ebay. I can see people paying double to have it if gets it sold out.

6. zoetropeuk macrumors regular

How many more stupid iPhone questions do we really need ?

Matt

7. calculus Guest

calculus

8. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

3+ months from launch, what other kinds of questions are there? ;)

9. buymeaniphone thread starter macrumors 6502

buymeaniphone

I guess thats one more question for the pile:D

10. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

lol, guess all we want, does anyone really think apple will release the number for first day sale? unless its really impressive, say, >100,000 units.

11. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

13ish. :)

Just kidding, Who knows? How much will they hype it before launch time? If they do a midnight launch, or if they just release it, I think will have a large effect on number of units sold.

12. artmonster macrumors newbie

easily more than a million if they take any pre-orders. I just worry that the demand will be more than the supply. You can put me down for two of them, though.

13. lancestraz macrumors 6502a

lancestraz

Q: How many dead people are in a graveyard?
    A: All of them!

Q: How many iPhones will sell the first day?
    A: All of them!

14. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

an interesting comparison:
    who knows the first day sale of :apple: TV?

15. amantedemúsica macrumors newbie

1 million? iPhones? Who the heck would want to get an iPhone? How much more crap do you need a phone to do? The biggest accessory for the iPhone is probably the phone part itself. I'm sorry, but the iPhone sounds like a rip-off to me. I mean that small amount of memory for half a grand. I'll pass. Get a MiPod by Pear.

16. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Count another one who will be eating crow on rollout day.

17. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

Yet...;)

18. killr_b macrumors 6502a

killr_b

Ya know, I always wondered, if Apple and Cingular sell like, one million iPhones the first day, how the #### are they going to activate them all? Will you need a ticket that holds your place in line for activation? Seriously, how do they plan to handle the number of activations?

19. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

i million ppl signed up to receive updates... perhaps 1% to 5% will get it, if they are lucky...
    i don't see a million US residence, that's almost 1/300 of entire US population, get iPhone in the 1st week. maybe i'm too pessimistic

20. mustard macrumors 6502a

mustard

I predict all that are available at Apple Stores & Cingular Stores as well as at least 2 dozen cardboard ones one eBay (for the gullible)

21. colocolo macrumors 6502

I usually don't agree with Bearbo, but this time I think he is right. No more than 5% of people inquiring about the iPhone will buy it on the first week, if at all.

That being said, I think eventually they will sell over 1 million units (thats actually a given, once they go overseas :) ); I just don't think they will be able to do so in the first few months.

22. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Considering how many stores will be selling these, I think it's entirely possible they could handle the load, but the actual activation process might take a while after customers leave the store to complete. Just by myself, I could easily activate 25-30 phones in a day if that's all I was doing (I do speak from experience, btw, I use Cingular's activation system on an almost daily basis). Between the Apple Stores (though they won't be as good at activating, if they do it at all), the Cingular Stores (crap as they may be), and the online sales through both companies, 1 million phones is certainly possible, but they might have to warn the iPhone buyers it might take a full day or more before the programming hits their phone.

jW

23. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

:eek: what does that supposed to mean?