Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fel10

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 2, 2010
Woodstock, GA USA
i just checked my log, and only today I already have 75 JetSamEvent. Which means low memory. Is that normal for a phone with 3 GB of ram? I also notice a lot of the apps and even some safari tabs reload a lot on my phone.

To check it, just go to Settings > Privacy > Diagnostics & Usage > Diagnostics & Usage Data

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I think it really depends on what you use your device for. I have 1 JetSamEvent on my device, it was for 8 days ago. I typically don't keep many apps open in the App Switcher, so that might be the reason why I have so few.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I just did a clean install, and without even installing any apps, I already had 20 of those. What the heck.
Might be something after an install as iOS is doing a bunch of things. I have about a dozen or so from the first day when I got my phone and set it up and another dozen or so from the second day when I was setting up more things to my liking and downloading more apps and all that. But doesn't seem like I have any more since then (a little less than a month ago).

I do seem to have quite a few "stacks" and "periodic-microstackshot-report" ones (not even quite sure what those are).

deano1972

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2016
United Kingdom
Might be something after an install as iOS is doing a bunch of things. I have about a dozen or so from the first day when I got my phone and set it up and another dozen or so from the second day when I was setting up more things to my liking and downloading more apps and all that. But doesn't seem like I have any more since then (a little less than a month ago).

I do seem to have quite a few "stacks" and "periodic-microstackshot-report" ones (not even quite sure what those are).
Agree

I have quite a few "periodic-microstackshot-report" ones too.

woodynorman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2011
I have no problems with my iPhone 7plus. Its fast as I could want. I don't notice apps reloading or anything weird.

That being said, I seem to have 30 or so a day of these Jetsam events.

Does it really matter? Does this mean my phone has a memory problem? If so, I don't see it.

Why worry about it?

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
Same with me on my 4.7 iPhone 7. I get 25-80 a day. On my iPhone 6 on 9.3.5 I'd get 0-5 a day. The iPhone 7 is running from that same back up.

My 7 is fast and fine though. But every morning my safari needs to reload. I've seen this bug on every verson of iOS 10 yet. It just can't keep safari in memory overnight. Quite annoying.

Not sure why there is so many jetsam logs though but I guess it's "normal" for the 7.

Do you ever look at what your largest process was in the log? Overnight (without using the device) I had 8 jetsam logs from safari and WebKit alone!! Definitely some bugs there? Or maybe not?! If I look at my other ones I see a lot from clash of clans and Pokémon go. Maybe the iPhone is keeping closer track of low memory? Who knows. Only the apple engineers working on iOS 10 know for sure.

Plx32

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2009
Paris, France
I am also plagued by these JetsamEvents on my iPhone 7 Plus (more that 50 a day)

Even on a clean install, it doesn't change anything.

I wouldn't care if I had not this behavior of apps and Safari refreshing far more that what would seem adequate...

RAM management seems odd too, as I notice I have almost all the time 500 MB of "free" RAM.
I'm not talking about "inactive" memory which would be normal but "free" memory.

I see iOS freeing up RAM all the time...

fel10

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 2, 2010
Woodstock, GA USA
I am also plagued by these JetsamEvents on my iPhone 7 Plus (more that 50 a day)

Even on a clean install, it doesn't change anything.

I wouldn't care if I had not this behavior of apps and Safari refreshing far more that what would seem adequate...

RAM management seems odd too, as I notice I have almost all the time 500 MB of "free" RAM.
I'm not talking about "inactive" memory which would be normal but "free" memory.

I see iOS freeing up RAM all the time...

I also only have about 500-600 ram free. When I close everything, it goes up to 1gb free, but I don't know what the phone is using the other 2 for. Im hoping this is just a software issue.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
JetsamEvents typically occur when memory ls low.

edited to add: I have a lot of JetsamEvents as well, and my iPhone 7+ is running well, apart from 2 incidents, when I connected to my tb MBP and doing so caused the MBP to reboot.

Last edited:

Eduardboon

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012
I have around 30 a day. According to Apple they also come up if you close apps quickly after opening them, because there are still operations running but the OS is trying a force-quit and that can cause a memory leak.

That's what my Senior Advisor told me anyway.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I have around 30 a day. According to Apple they also come up if you close apps quickly after opening them, because there are still operations running but the OS is trying a force-quit and that can cause a memory leak.

That's what my Senior Advisor told me anyway.

This. ^. I would say the senior advisor is absolutely correct.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I still do not see how they indicate a problem as my 7+ works perfectly. Who care what is happening in the background, Apple's system is working well on my phone. I can remember seeing similar error messages on previous iPhones and never caused a problem.

Better things to worry about.

Reactions: Applejuiced
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.