How many languages do you speak?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Classic, Jun 27, 2002.

?

How many Languages do you speak?

1. 1 - You mean there are other languages besides English?

7 vote(s)
    23.3%
  2. 2

9 vote(s)
    30.0%
  3. 3

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. 4

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
  5. 5 or more

4 vote(s)
    13.3%
  1. Classic macrumors regular

And by this, I mean human languages.

Computer languages like C++, Perl, and Java, while valuable, aren't what I'm talking about.

I'm a native English speaker, and I speak Fluent Italian, and pretty good French.

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Sorry to say, but I only speak (bad) english! :D

3. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

I only know English as of now. I am however beginning a spanish course next year.

4. billiam0878 macrumors 6502

I can speak a little French and I am currently learning Spanish, so maybe in a couple years I'll be able to speak three languages.

Bill

5. King Cobra macrumors 603

Hey, verbose, you just reminded me of something Bruce Willace said from 5th Element. (And whoever responded to me earlier with "Multi-Pass" is gonna get his ash kicked if he wasts another post like that...kidding :D)

So I know three languages: Spanish, English and Bad English. I usually speak the first two. I have taken about 16 years of English and around 4 years of Spanish.

Besides, I find Spanish so easy to speak, and, in many cases, easier than English! Seriously. :cool:

6. coolocity macrumors regular

I speak English and French, and I can also sign, so techniclly that should be 3 languages. Yes! I rule!

7. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Well, three really.

English, Countryboy, and all out friggin hick. Aka, Redneck.

he.he:D

8. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I only speak English fluently. I've taken French a little bit in college, through high school, and also in grade school. I'm very rusty now in French of course.

I will be required to take foreign language in order to qualify to get my graduate degree, so I've been torn between picking back up on French or going full throttle into Spanish since it's easier...

any ideas??

9. King Cobra macrumors 603

no is right for demi talk bad english and no use caps

can give newbies bad impression how demis do work the forums

you learn more better grammar and talk again when learns how speak right way :D :cool:

10. Santiago macrumors regular

I'm a native speaker of English and Spanish, am fluent in French, and know a reasonable amount of German.

11. King Cobra macrumors 603

I would not be able to compare the two languages that well, but Spanish IMO is such an easy language. I am not sure if there are any easier.

Anyways, ¡Lo mejor suerte! (The best luck!) :cool:

12. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Dude! 4 languages! I'm impressed! :D
    ...and welcome to macrumors.com!

13. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I've always been told how easy Spanish is to pick up. French is pretty complex as far as I'm concerned. Of course, English is the largest & the hardest (correct?) language to learn...so I guess I'm ahead of the game then? ;)

14. King Cobra macrumors 603

I think you are correct, eye. English is the hardest language to learn.

LOL! Hey, that makes two of us! Anyone else? :cool:

15. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Oh, I'm basically your typical American monoglot, with at least the good sense to be embarassed about it. But I know a bit of French from high school, a bit of Spanish from traveling in Central America and a bit of Japanese because teaching myself is kind of an off-and-on hobby of mine. I can probably conduct myself equally well in any of those three, but that's not saying a lot.

16. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

i read once that Manderain Chinese, is more dificult to pick up than even english.
    if this is wrong plese someone inform me:D

17. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Real languages: English (American style, there is no f*cking 'u' in color :p)

Alternates: technobabble... :D Also known as GeekSpeak...

I keep intending to learn Russian, but have yet to actually start on it. maybe one of these days I will.

18. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Of course Spanish, you have to tell me is my English is good enough (I speak better) and I had some French but I was learned it when I was an exchange student learning English, so you can imagine. When you are an exchange student in the US by the end of the year you are able to talk 4 different languages in just one centence (usually English, German, Spanish and French).

Spanish is such easy language to learn, I do no thos why, we have 4 times of past tense, 2 present tense and 3 furture tense and not auxiliaries, beside, everything is in backwards but I think it makes more sense.

What I have seen is that Spanish spoken people are more used to understand more, there are tons of variations between accents, slangs, etc. In the US if I didn't say the word in the exact way, it didn't make sense. Well, the other reason could be that it happend in Arkansas where people never had contact with the rest of the world, only the Bible.

19. King Cobra macrumors 603

¿Bonjour, mag ich ir a bed? :D

I agree on the spanish, though. The only thing that may be confusing about Spanish would be the irregular verbs (we don't have enough in our language :D). But those are easy to get used to.

I just finished my last year of spanish and I got As or A-s throughout the board, even on the two hour 180 Q exam.

And I think Rower would know best about having a conversation in Spanish, as he did minor in it in college. :cool:

20. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Honestly, your writing of English sucks. My 7 year old niece does better, and my 5 year old nephew can speak better then you type here.

21. Classic thread starter macrumors regular

That's so wrong!!! But kind of funny all at once. :p

I was just about to write that mymemory's writing has improved considerably over the past year of posting.

22. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

?

English only sorry, while trying my best to understand American and Australian.:)

23. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Like so many things in the US.... so wrong, yet so right at the same time... :D