Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thevessels

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 6, 2004
ok so i got about 25 layers on my current flash project . im still new to this stuff so im quiiite sure what im doing .
but this is it
http://www.beautyisfading.com/new.html
and im having to make a new layer for every little bar i do ..
and my 1ghz 768 powerbook is sluuuuggin down
im planning on gettin a g5 imac soon .. will that solve my delima ?
or am i being totally retarded with this program ..
help very appreciated !
-c

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
afk
Flash is actually quite a bloated software and sad to say this, but it runs a lot better on a PC than a Mac with equivalent hardware. 25 layers are still fine. I think more ram helps a lot as well. a G5 imac certainly helps to boosting the speed

Jimong5

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
25 is too many for that. a few tips:

Modulize. Movie clips and graphics when self contained can be your best friend in cleaning up clutter.

blank keyframes: Separate tweens cannot share a layer as you may know, but putting in a blank keyframe and then a keyframe a few frames later will pretty much reset the layer and make it recycled (messy but effective).

Scenes: learn to love these. separate timelines that tie together seamlessly without bogging down your main project.

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
mnkeybsness said:
Burned (I also hate Flash websites)

But seriously, you should really look in to how to optimize Flash projects using scenes and movie clips.

You should not need so many layers for this project. At least from what I am seeing. Maybe something is loading in the background that I don't see. (You need to add a preloader) The last comment was right about making it modular. This is a site I did a while back for my music group. I am in the process of updating it but notice that all my information boxes are all individually loaded.

http://www.larhymes.com

Start by adding some kind of a preloader. Noone will wait if they don't think anything is happening. Also, (but I know you did not ask)I am not a huge fan of the old people font size. I think it's too big for your site and I am on a 19inch 1280*1024 flat screen. It's is pretty much all I see.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
Jimong5 said:
Scenes: learn to love these. separate timelines that tie together seamlessly without bogging down your main project.

Scenes are nothing more than movie clips, as is your main timeline. So six of one, half a dozen of the other. Learning to utilize and communicate between movie clips is like the first building block of learning flash. I personally don't use scenes.

Jimong5

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
decksnap said:
Scenes are nothing more than movie clips, as is your main timeline. So six of one, half a dozen of the other. Learning to utilize and communicate between movie clips is like the first building block of learning flash. I personally don't use scenes.

I personally hate movie clips for one reason: If you rely too much on them (over say animated graphics and scenes) then in an animated sequence, if you pause the movie the movie clips will keep right on looping (graphics are timeline dependent and you can preview their movement when you use the built in viewer)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.