How many MacRumors members can't type?

Discussion in 'Community' started by phreakout13, Sep 27, 2004.

1. phreakout13 macrumors 6502

Jan 4, 2004
    South Eastern MA
    I know I'm terrible at it. I use 2 fingers and it takes me forever yo type. I was thinking of switching a study hall to typing at school, but people say it's a bad class. Anyways, am I the only one here who can't type?
  2. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Dec 26, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
    Duff-Man says....I too am a "hunt and peck" 2 finger typist...on a good day I can get 3 or 4 fingers going...but over the years I have gotten pretty quick with the 2-finger routine...oh yeah!
  3. kanker macrumors 6502

Nov 13, 2003
    It never hurts to have a typing class under your belt. I have to admit that I go between 2 finger typing and 'correct' typing, frequently in the same word, but if the lighting is low or I have my attention diverted from the screen, it certainly does help to have the 'correct' technique.
  4. Archaeopteryx macrumors regular

Oct 4, 2003
  5. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Jun 28, 2002
    North Central Colorado
    the answer to this question totally corresponds with how many drinks the poster has made... but that's a totally different thread ;)

I took a typing class in junior high (1989, I think?) as an elective - I thought at the time it might come in handy later on in school for writing papers or whatever. Then low and behold a few years later, I had a job as a typesetter. I haven't taken a real timed typing test in a long time, but last time I checked I was somewhere around 125-130 wpm without an error.

Stream of consciousness typing as in the forums slows me down a good bit, since often times I have more spelling issues than anything else with the words that are trying to flee the drowning ship that is my brain - but letter to letter retyping straight copy - I can fly. Comes in handy quite often - if anyone reading this is still in school, and your school offers a touch-type class, I'd snap it up. As the world progresses, you'll probably only use computers more, not less.
  6. homerjward macrumors 68030

May 11, 2004
    fig tree
    i've typed correctly since i was in 2nd grade :cool: but im really surprised at the number of my friends who can't type. my elementary was unique even in the district but we took computer class once a week for an hour from kindergarten thru 5th grade, then we need 45 minutes a day for a semester in 6th grade. most of that was typing. although for every person i know who can't type there's 1 who types like 80+ words a minute... :confused:

btw i learned to type using bank street writer on an apple lc 2. but we got gateways in 3rd grade and the district is now on the dark side...
    edit: took the typing test and got 66wpm gross with 94% accuracy
  7. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    That was fun. I have slowed down since Jr. High School. I used to be 110WPM, now I am at 73. Typing was a requirement since my early days at elementary school. Honestly I can't imagine not being able to type, I would feel like I am loosing so much time.

edit: I did again and got about 85WPM with 95% accuracy.

8. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Apr 16, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    Anyone else having problems getting that URL to load? I'm using Camino.

edit: I got it to load up fine using Safari.
  9. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Oct 16, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    My dad got me "Mario teaches typing" when I was a youngin,' and I took typing throughout school, but my real typing skills didn't emerge for a while.

When I got a computer with AIM at home (1999ish), chatting with friends really taught me how to type. I never took up the aol shorthand crap, beyond brb or lol. Because of that, I can type pretty well. Around 70wpm copying, much faster when it's flowing out of my head.
  10. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    That's why I felt like I was going kind of slow. I type much faster when I am free flowing my thoughts. Makes much more sense now.

11. tech4all macrumors 68040

Jun 13, 2004
    Neat. But it seems to me that when you know your being tested for your typing speed and accuracy, you always screw up more than if you weren't.
  12. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Jun 28, 2002
    North Central Colorado
    97 WPM @ 94% accuracy on the Mark Twain one - fun stuff.

/decides not to practice
  13. hcuar macrumors 65816

Jul 23, 2004
    I type fast as heck, with very few errors. I didn't say what I type is coherent though. :D
  14. agreenster macrumors 68000

Dec 6, 2001
    Walt Disney Animation Studios
    I'm such a sucky typer. I was 48WPM with 95% accuracy. I never learned to touch type, and I always have to look at the keyboard. I type with my middle fingers, with thumbs for the spacebar and the occasional index finger sneaking through. Drat. Now that I'm paying attention, I'm miserable.

15. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    im a touch typist, but once in a while i get lazy and my typing gets really messy

i know i should continue to type properly but sometimes u just cant be bothered
  16. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    I have an older keyboard and it slows me down some. I got around 50 wpm, but i know on some other keyboards I can get a bit more.

Regardless, I'm not a fast typist, although I can type in the dark:D

17. mj_1903 macrumors 6502a

Feb 3, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    I can type between 70-90 WPM with pretty high accuracy, but sadly I use a really strange means of typing. I only use 5-6 fingers, rather than all of them and don't use my thumb to hit the spacebar. I really should correct it... just don't have the time to relearn the sucker.
  18. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

Jul 28, 2003
    Citizens Bank Park
  19. MacAztec macrumors 68040

Oct 28, 2001
    San Luis Obispo, CA
  20. 2A Batterie macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

Jun 9, 2004
    Out of a Suitcase, USA
    It's 1:30 am and I just got home from a gig. With a few drinks in me, I managed to net 64 wpm. I think there should also be a "How many MacRumors members do not know how to use spell check?". Obviously we all make errors here and there, but I hate posts that read like this... "Hey, I hve a queston. Why desn't ne-one respund to my posts? Prolly cuz u guyz r dummie-hedz." Obviously an over-exaggeration, but get my drift? Some of us suck at spelling, which is ok, but it can be a little bit funny when I read a post that is in some broken form of english.
  21. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    You know how you're supposed to place your index finger on the "F" and "J" keys, which explains the physical mark on both those keys? Well, I never took a course on typing, and when I taught myself to type, I just tried to imitate the shape and movement of the hands, not where to actually place my fingers. Since I didn't know that the index fingers had to be placed on F and J, I learned to type with my index fingers on "F" and "H". :eek:

I've tried to correct myself one time, but I couldn't do it, and I didn't see the point.

I type around 55-65 wpm with 100% accuracy every time. However, I always go back and make the correction on these tests, which slows me down. I can't leave a mistake because they actually bother me psychologically.
  22. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    Yep, I definitely agree with you there. Right now, I'm probably typing just as fast, if not faster, than during the test, and so far I haven't made a single mistake. However, while doing the test, I made several mistakes. Having the delete* key disabled* annoyed me too, because a few times I found myself pressing it.

*I made mistakes while typing these* words.
  23. Diatribe macrumors 601

Jan 8, 2004
    Back in the motherland
    Nice test, tried it twice and got the same result on two different texts: 45wpm at 98% accuracy. I guess I suck. :D I should've taken those typing classes they offered in highschool. :rolleyes:
  24. wPod macrumors 68000

Aug 19, 2003
    Denver, CO
    84WPM - the different tries on three different tests
    with b/w 92 and 94% accuracy. i am screwd up by the capitol letters!! (though i do worse with numbers, i never got to numbers when i took typing in school in like fourth grade or something (back on an Apple II i believe, had to boot off a floppy drive (you know 5 1/4" floppy!)) i know ive taken other tests and gotten faster WPM but maybe im just out of practice!
  25. yellow Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
    After 14+ years of being an avid comptuer user, I have hunt and peck down to a science.