How many Macs are in your school?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by d_and_n5000, Apr 13, 2006.

1. d_and_n5000 macrumors 6502a

d_and_n5000

Hey all. I got bored, so I compiled a list of every single computer in my school. We need to do some serious hardware updating.

1 - Power Mac G5 - I wanna know how in the world the secratery in a small private elementary school managed to get this in the budget. They go for a ton o' money. An iMac G5 would be more appropriate, you'd think - but I'll just wind up asking about it later when she gets an uber Intel iMac pro thing - so I won't complain.
    1 - iMac G5 - principals' - leaves an iMac G3 that I want open for no one to use - I'll hafta ask about it soon.
    2 - iMac G3 - There was the snow one that was the principals - but as of Wednesday there is a blueberry iMac hanging around the storage room. I'll hafta ask about it, the snow one hasn't been touched in ages, and I doubt this will be, either. And I'm still mac-less.(edit: we are in the middle of a million dollar expansion project...and these iMacs are going into the new, bigger computer lab:()
    5 - Power Macintosh G3(blue and white) - Scattered throughout the media center.
    3 - Power Macintosh G3(all-in-one) - scattered throughout the media center.
    31 - Power Macintosh 5400, 5260 - these are two separate computers - but they are identical in the case. These are scattered througout 7 classrooms, and the media center.
    1 - Macintosh LC III - One of the old teachers school computer for the last 13 odd years. Ancient(the computer, not the teacher), the blueberry iMac may replace this.
    1- Power Mac G4(9.2 server) - The dutiful server.
    17- iBook G3(2 - 14", 15 - 12") The 14" ones are for my homeroom teacher, and for my lit/writing teacher. One of the 12" ones is for my science teacher, whose Pismo's screen broke in his duffel bag, and the other 14 is in the mobile lab.
    9 - PowerBook G3(Pismo) - Scattered throuout the teachers. And for some reason, there are 3 in the sink in the media storage room, and one in the iBook mobile lab. Don't ask, but I think one in the sink is the science teachers, with the broken screen.
    1 - gutted remains of a Performa 600 - I only ever found the front bezel...?
    1 - iBook G4 - tech coordinators. 3rd most advanced mac in the building, the two G5's are ahead, obviously.

So, how many are in your schools? Grand total for mine: 73 Macs, from a Power Mac G5 to a Macintosh LC III.

2. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

3. steelphantom macrumors 6502a

steelphantom

At my school (a Penn State branch campus), there are a grand total of four (4) Macs. There are two eMacs in one of the computer labs used for setting up ID cards, and there are two PowerMac G5s randomly sitting in one building -- always on, but never used. :( It's very sad, really.

4. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

800 or so. 150 teachers have 14" ibooks this past fall. High school has 1800 students, so that's pretty close to 2-1. About 500 12" G4 ibooks for the students. 31 servers with 20 or 21 Xserves... can't remember.
    Lot-o-gear, takes care of itself though.

But this brings up a pet peave of mine... a big one. While I roll in dough, other schools in my area are glad to get some of my old gear becasue, alas, they have NO money. Some are required to run Linux and Open Office becasue actually buying software is out of the question. School funding is horribly screwed up.

5. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

I am a part time IT and high school student so lets see of my memory is good

8 - G4 towers 450 Dual, 6 - iBook clamshell, 100+ G3 ice books, 20+ G4 iBooks, 50+ eMacs, 100+ iMacs G3

On order, 1 xServe G5 Dual, 1 iMac 20" Core Duo and 2 - 2.16, 100GB 7200 RPM HD, 2GB of ram Mac Book Pro. If macbook comes out by may, 15 of them, if not, 15 regular iBooks.

6. amateurmacfreak macrumors 6502a

amateurmacfreak

Probs about... 200?
    I go to a small school, so that means the school is Mac-only. Well, we might have 3 PCs. :rolleyes:

7. Caitlyn macrumors 6502a

There is a room in the video editing department with a bunch of PowerMac Dual G4 Quicksilvers and Apple Studio Displays. But other than that room, that's it for Macs in my school.

8. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

two and a half, my schools sytem admin runs OS X on a pc on his KMV, my ibook which i take in and a girls in the year below me.

the head teacher is a pc freak and wont allow macs...

9. iamhammill macrumors 6502

iamhammill

Right now all of our teachers have 12" iBook G4s, roughly maybe ~100 teachers. Around ~200 12" iBook G4s on carts that make it around to students. Around ~100 older iBooks, mostly sub-1 ghz G4s and some G3 iBooks. Around ~50 eMacs, 2 17" iMac 2.0 GHZ G5s, and 3 Dual G5s (2.5 ghz).

Next year we start our one for one program, so everyone will have iBooks, or Macbooks.

10. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

11. CompUser Guest

1 iMac G4
    2 iMac DVs
    1 PowerMac G3 b/w
    1 Mac Mini

thats it.

12. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Lots. I'm not sure of exact numbers, but there'd be at least 500+ around uni. Most classrooms and theaters have Macs running the projectors and there are several Mac labs around the place.

13. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Maybe 20 or 30? Not including students computers obviously. The IT department here on campus is probably getting kickbacks from M$ and Dell.

My elementary, middle school and high schools were nothing but Macs...but old ones. They were running OS8 or 9 on ancient all in ones up until my senior year (2004) when they upgraded the labs with eMacs and OSX

14. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

15. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

My high school was the same. All crappy PCs. When I'd bring my PB in I'd get so many of the usual ignorant Apple comments because everyone was so clueless.

Primary school had Macs and Acorns up until my last year there when they started getting PCs.

16. iShane macrumors 6502a

We actually have quite a bit. There's atleast two iMac G3 blueberry's in every class room. And all the teachers have either PowerMacs (B&W) or eMacs. We also have one elementary eMac lab and then two other labs, one with blueberry iMac G3's with tons of software on them and then next to that we have a Windows lab (With some not so popular branded PC's) so I'd say...

Maybe 200 Macs?

EDIT: I forgot about the library. We probably have 50 in there or so. So 250 Macs. :)

17. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

i assume your stuck in RM land :(

(RM=research machines they make 90% of the UK's school computers, it's a common game to see how many chips you can stuff in a floppy drive so they have to get repaired very frequently.)

18. lu0s3r322 macrumors 6502a

well over 1000

4,500 students and 1,500 faculty. one of the biggest high school campuses in the nation. Stevenson High School :D :D

- one ibook/powerbook per teacher
    - two resource centers with eMacs and iMac G5's, about 30-40 each
    - about five computer labs. 4 with 30-ish eMacs, 1 with 30 iMacs
    - Probably like 10 mobile labs full of ibooks

soooo awesome.

19. iShane macrumors 6502a

Lucky! That would be great. Especially the moble labs.

20. Laser47 macrumors 6502a

Laser47

2 Emacs.
    We used to have G3 iMacs in every science room, but they were replaced by dells.

While walking around the halls one day I spotted one classroom full of macs they had some tangerine G3 imacs, old performas, Original Macintoshes. Only the imacs seemed like they were being used while the other computers were just piled up on shelves. It seemed like the teacher of that classroom
    was trying to save them from being thrown away.
    We also have a mobile lab, but ive never seen the computers, only the cart with the printer and WAP on top, those are probably dells aswell though.
    Now my school is 99.89% Dell. Over 8 computer labs, and atleast 2 computers in each classroom, I con only imagine what our school would be like if they still used macs.:rolleyes:

21. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

leftbanke7

A buttload.

I couldn't give an exact amount but there is a large Mac section in the main library's multimedia center, at least 2 Mac labs and many various iMacs scattered throughout the building. The student union has a smaller Mac area (~20-30) with various iMacs scattered throughout the building. The Film Dept is nothing but Macs. (~10) and a majority of the Arts building is Mac. There are also small Mac areas in all of the student housing.

It is definately a few hundred if not around a thousand...but sadly, my job here at the library requires me to type on this damn Dull computer.

22. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

Spot on.

LOL at the game. I hate RM.

23. musicalmcs8706 macrumors regular

We have mobile labs at my school. All IBM. Before we moved buildings almost two years ago we had approximately 30 iBooks for wireless labs. They were great. The IBMs on the other hand...

At my school we have 6 or 7 G4 450 in the media center, 1 iMac G4, 1 eMac, and 1 iMac G5 in the tech office, and then almost 30 iMac G5s in the art room and two PowerMac G5s in there as well. Some of the teachers have some clamshell iBooks from the old building as well.

Sadly we're mostly PC. The tech people hate it.

24. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

25. d_and_n5000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

d_and_n5000

So the tech people hate the PC's. Hopefully, next time around, they'll relieve themselves and get Macs.;)

Wow - the results aren't quite what I expected - I expected more Macs.:( Oh well, as long as everyone's trying to get more Macs in: good enough.:D