how many mail messages do YOU have?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MacsomJRR, Aug 7, 2006.

1. MacsomJRR macrumors 6502a

MacsomJRR

Couldn't find this posted anywhere else (I'm the world's worst forum searcher though) so I'll post it here. I was wondering how many mail messages you currently have in your inbox (in the mac Mail app). Is there a limit to how many messages that Mail can handle? Or is the only limitation the size of your HD?

Thanks.

2. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Hmm... I don't use the Mail app. I use Yahoo, and I've thought about using it. I don't really see the point. What's the advantage of using that instead of just going to yahoo to check and compose mail?

3. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

I've noticed that mail likes to slow down when there's a lot of messages. Right now I'm at ~320, and it's still pretty zippy. For a while, I was at ~1000 or so.. not so much the fastness in Mail.app.

I'm not sure about the storage thing, though. Sorry. :(

4. MacsomJRR thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacsomJRR

I prefer mail for a bunch of reasons.

1. It's integration with other applications on my Mac (i.e. Address Book, iPhoto, iChat etc...)
    2. The drag and drop simplicity of adding files to send to other people
    3. The customization options available (folders, smart folders, multiple mail access)
    4. Spotlight searching (I probably could just have listed this alone)
    5. Messages are downloaded onto my laptop and I don't have to open my web browser and go through various pages to get to my inbox

There are a TON more but you get the point. It is a much more efficient way of checking and sending e-mail.

EDIT: Right now I've got 6618 messages.

5. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

Right now I have 668... its about time to start deleting things.

6. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

I'm sure someone will out do this, but I currently have 12,400 messages in Mail and its still pretty zippy (PB G4 1.67GHz, 2GB Ram). I have just about every e-mail worth keeping (plus some that are probably garbage!) dating back to Sept. 2000. If I do a sort (ie from date-sorted to from-sorted) it takes 3-4 seconds to refresh. About the same for updating smart mailboxes.

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I have two messages in my Inbox. I try to keep it practically empty so I file everything away almost as soon as I get it. I have an IMAP account and have found this helps avoid slowdown. It wasn't so much of a problem when I was using POP3. :)

8. asxtb macrumors 6502

I'm with D Wade and Mad Jew. I got 7. I like an empty mail box. :D

9. Lollypop macrumors 6502a

Lollypop

Main inbox, about 50, rest gets filtered into folders (need more filters - like my inbox with less than 5 actualy), keeps things fast, and I get to keep almost everything for records in case I need to go back later on.

10. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

24 in Mail.app
    1048 in my gmail account. Its my back up.

11. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Currently 715...I don't really bother with filing or deleting much :)

12. Tanglewood macrumors 6502a

Tanglewood

4511 messages over the course of about four years...16 unread...and probably 20,000 either junked/deleted.

13. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

My Mail is full with pictures...at least 200...but I try to keep it tidy like:)

Bless

14. iTwitch macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

Thunderbird: Inbox - 5, I like to sort the keepers into folders. Neat and tidy.

15. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

I use Mail as a viewer for my Gmail acct.. got 1526 emails in mail and 17 unread still.. :eek: :eek:

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I have 472 since June, and that's in one account. I have lots more in the Gmail account (which I also use through Mail.app) and around 125 spam messages dating back to July 1st. :eek:

EDIT TO ADD: Yes, I delete emails I don't want. :eek:

17. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

In total, I have around 3200 messages in Mail. About 2800 are in a folder named "Archive". I have about 330 messages in the Inbox and generally let the messages sit for 3 months before moving them into the Archive folder.

Not counting the Hard Drive Crash of 2004, I keep all email messages for as long as I live. (spam and junk mail not included, of course)

18. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

How are people using mail folders? Do people still use static folders? I've gotten to where I just use smart folders. I have one for "Today" which includes anything from the current day, unread, or flagged e-mails (my way of indicating to myself I need to do something with it), then I have four more folders "Last 7 Days", "Last 31 Days", "Last 100 Days", "Last 250 Days" I use this to speed up finding e-mails from someone or about something when I know roughly when the conversation took place. Before smart folders I had dozens of rules and dozens of static folders which I was very happy to do away with when smart folders arrived.

What are other people doing?

19. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

So when I set up my account... Is Yahoo Mail Pop, IMAP, or Exchange? That's probably why I never bothered with it.

20. _Matt macrumors 6502

I delete all of my mail messages as soon as they come in and I have read them.

My name is Bond. James Bond. :cool:

When Leopard comes out I'll have to start saving stuff. :D

21. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

4 in Gmail, 5 in Mail.app. Mail.app handles both my .Mac email address and my school's email address. Gmail's POP3 sucks, so I just use the web interface.

22. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

36 for me, i dont get spam:), i also dont get that much mail:(

23. iTwitch macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

I have a folder named "lists" which contains folders for each of the Yahoo Groups I subscribe to, so those emails are filtered to the appropriate folder and of course there is an "Inbox" and "MyStuff" as well.

Anyway, Tbird's filters are great.

24. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Currently 1,982 in my inbox(s). That doesn't include all of the mail I've archived into folders. I'm trying to sort my messages as they come in now, so that the inbox is *only* for things I haven't read, but I've got a long way to go before that's a reality.