How many megabytes of "text" data do you use?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bowlerguy10, Jun 13, 2009.

1. macrumors 6502

I'm sitting here kind of bored and thought about how text messages are nothing more than just data, each character represents 1 kb of data. So assuming that every message you send is or is close to 160 characters how much data do you use each month sending texts? I sent about 4,000 texts last month so I did: 4,000x160/1024 and this gave me about 620 megabytes of text data. Assuming this is the correct way to go about this, how much data do you use?

2. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

A character is one byte, not one kilobyte. 4000 texts would be 625 kilobytes.

3. PR.
    macrumors member

In the case of Notepad 1 character = 1 byte. So it would actually only be 625kb of data.

There no doubt txt messaging makes lots of profit.

4. thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh yes....your correct I knew I should have looked it up again :( in that case let me go rework this and see. Well that's sort of boring. Not even a megabyte of data for all of those texts, that's incredible!

5. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I don't know how much texts cost over there, I'm going to guess 5c each. That means that texting costs $328/MB :eek:

6. macrumors 601

7. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

20 cents! Wow, OK then :p

8. macrumors 6502

keenan wolf

why arent txts free if we have unlimited data? they should be. its just data, barely any at that.