How many miles do you drive a year average on your primary car?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Chip NoVaMac, Jul 17, 2006.

?

How many miles do you drive with your primary car?

1. 0-5,000 miles

20.6%
  2. 5.001-10,000 miles

29.4%
  3. 10,001-15,000 miles

23.5%
  4. 15,001-20,000 miles

5.9%
  5. 20,001-25,000 miles

11.8%
  6. 25,000+ miles

8.8%
  1. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Given this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=2623550, I was wondering how many miles we drive our primary cars each year.

For my 2003 Subaru Baja, I average about 9K miles a year.

To be honest about 5 to 6k of those miles were do to my ex wanting to travel, but not being able to pay their way for air travel, so we did the trips via the Baja. I would have preferred to have flown and rented a car. Not that the journey wasn't fun at times. Never would have seen Metropolis, IL. :)

Given the gas costs today, I would peg my yearly average at 7.5K miles.

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yikes... probably 20k per year on my truck at this point, and about 12k per year on my wife's car.

3. Queso macrumors G4

I do about 6-7k a year on my motorbike, but the vast majority of that is flitting between clients.

My life isn't fun anymore :(

4. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Wow. Learned that posting a message verses a poll, the message will be first. mactastic was able to post a reply before i finished the poll portion. :)

5. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

I'm doing about 10k a year on my bike. Mainly long distance travel between college and home at weekends, and running the gauntlet that is Dulin traffic.

My life is still fun :)

6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I've averaged a little over 5K per year over almost six years of ownership...

7. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

rougly 15k miles just in commuting, maybe 2-4k in pleasure non work related driving... i figure 20-25 a year is about right where I am at

Ed

8. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Then how come you chose 25K+ instead of 20-25K? :p

9. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

:eek: Hee... about 4K a year. But that will go up since I've just moved... and my new school is a 20-30 minute drive (as opposed to 4 minutes).

10. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I think that is because of my stating that my average miles would have been lower if I had been able to fly instead of drive.

11. Queso macrumors G4

Yeah, so I'm not jealous. Not at all. :mad: :mad: :mad:

12. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

I figured this out the other day... I'm averaging around 3400 miles a year, and if I stick to that rate, it will take me 23 years to reach 100,000 miles.

Of course, I live close to work and any trips taken are usually by plane. My wife's car gets a bit more use since it's the one with the baby seat.

13. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Having owned a motorcycle in my youth, I know that the number of miles driven can be less than if one has a car.

In some ways, I wonder why I still own or drive a car. Other than mass transit so sucks in my area. I drive 14 miles a day to work, five days a week. If I took mass trans, I would be facing an hour and half!

Even with the same milage 7 days a week, this is like 100 miles a week. In order for me to get something in walking distance, I would spend about $600+US over what I spend now. The shame is that I would be forced to rent a car in order to do basic shopping, compared to my being able to walk to a Safeway and CVS. The shopping center is next to my apartment complex.

14. Queso macrumors G4

Chip, from my experience of the US, unless you're in New York or San Francisco, there is no option but to have a car. Never been to your neck of the woods but I guess it's pretty much the same there.

Even here we get problems though. All the public transport in London is designed to go in and out of the centre, like spokes of a wheel. But, if you want to go around the wheel, it's difficult as hell in most cases.

15. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Add Chicago to your list. :)

I will say having spent a decent amount of time in SF and Chicago doing mass transit, and a lesser time in NYC - I relish the ability to get anywhere in short order.

For my commute to my job, I need to take a Fairfax City bus to the Vienna Metro. From there I need to take Metro Rail to West Falls Church. Then a Metro bus that detours to a pathetic business park area. Causing me to walk further.

And for some reason the Fairfax City bus service seems to think that once an hour service after the likes of 7PM only deserves once an hour service. It costs me about $7US to take a cab, when bus service fails me.

Take my experience in staying in Hammersmith-Fuller. Right on the Blue Tube IIRC. On my one night out I came in to an Underground Station - forget whether it was near Harrod's or Picadilly. Regardless the station attendants were able to direct me to the #9 bus IIRC.

Given the short time I had in London, I never was met once with a bad attitude on getting me on my way.

I should add that my life would be nicer with a Nutly Street bus, connecting with a Vienna/Main Street/Route 123 bus.

16. coffey7 macrumors 6502a

coffey7

40,000 miles every year for the last 17 years. I never buy new cars or trucks anymore. I just run them in 3 years.

17. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

18. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Thanks to Lori working from home, our current rate per year is about...7800. I thought it would be less. Based on what I thought we really normally drive, that is surprising - I'm not sure where the miles go...

Before she switched, we were putting about 25k/year.

19. Tanglewood macrumors 6502a

Tanglewood

I drive about 14,000-15,000 a year in my CR-V

20. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

I was averaging around 28k a year for a couple years until I moved closer to work, this year I should probably end up around 8k. :) :) :)

21. Timepass macrumors 65816

I drive around 10k a year. but it hard to predicted to tell you the turth because I spike it at semi randomliy. 6-7k of it being from long distance trips.

22. Electro Funk macrumors 65816

Electro Funk