How many of u had to sacrifice for your Mac?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by eyelikeart, Mar 20, 2002.

1. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I was reading a thread and a couple times mentioned were how some of us needed to sell off some personal belongings in order to get our computers...

so...

what, if at all, did u guys need to sacrifice in order to be able to afford your Macs.....and which Mac was your ending prize?

for me...last January I sold my older/upgraded Motorola Starmax system....and I used to be a big Metalllica fan, so I had a pretty killer collection of rare box sets & lps which I sold about 80% of on ebay.....plus my income tax return....

all contributed to the purchase of my TiBook with no extra money out of pocket... :p

2. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

my beige G3 for my new G4 iMac... a pretty fair deal. :D:D:D

irmongoose

3. iGav macrumors G3

How many of u had to sacrifice for your Mac?

When I bought my first MAC (Beige G3 in 1998) I sold my Volkswagen Beetle, (the MAC was faster) Merlin Mountain Bike, and used up my student loans...... except the drinking allowance!!!

My current Ti book was funded by, holding down 2 jobs (lecturer + interactive designer), selling my beige G3 and like Eyelikeart with a nice Tax return.......

N:B
    Oh hello to all, I'm a newbie.... being checking this site out for months, and only just got round to posting..... BAD iGAV.......(feels like I know you all so well already.... I look forward to talking!!)

TTFN

4. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Well, I guess you could look at it this way... I sacrificed approximately 278 hours of my life to pay for my G4 400...

Fortunately, the next time around won't be as bad! We all have to sacrifice initially but every time thereafter it'll cost us less because we can sell our old one that we're replacing. :)

5. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

I set up on fire my 1992 Porsche Targa to claim the money for the insurance and all I got was enough for a 128MB memory upgrade for my Pismo!!!

I should burn the Mac Laren to get the dual processor. :D

Well, I really had to wake up very early and go to work for about a year.

6. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Well, I'm still paying for my PowerBook, so I guess you could say the sacrifice is ongoing.

7. Digidesign macrumors 6502

I sold my PS2 games and my DVD collection to get my TiBook. My tax rebate also came in handy.

8. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

As i stated before and you probably know... i sold of my Line 6 guitar amp and my ibook to get my 667 tibook...that i really needed.
    No regrets.

9. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

To get my latest PowerBook (rev. A TiBook), I sold my Pismo (sold my Lombard to get that). To get the first PowerBook, I scrificed my sanity... I know, not much of a sacrifice since I didn't have much to start with :D.

I took out a loan (from family) to get my first Mac tower (PowerCenter Pro 210). Once that was paid off, and I sold it for a song, I was able to get my G4 tower. I just sacrificed that to the great God Harley Davidson :D. A truely worthy sacrifice.

Depending on what Apple does to the PowerBook or PowerMac line next will determine what I have to sacrifice and when. I have one more debt that I would like to get rid of before getting a new tower. I should be able to do that within 6-12 months (finally). Maybe by then they will have either a chrome PowerBook or the G5 will be out (fingers crossed). :D

PEACE!!!!

10. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Paying for Mac

I took out a 401k loan. That way the interest was atleast payed to myself. I'll probably do it again when I get another Gx Tower in the next year or two, my Ti will hold me over till then.

11. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

To have my 867 and PB500 (667 still belongs to work) I have to work every spare minute I get (40 weeks a year at school and 11 weeks at work, 1 week of holiday {forced by the government to have a bank holidays})

Thants how I buy my macs and fund my other hobby of go-karting.

Ensign

12. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

I sold a Gateway Athlon 1400 PC with 1GB of ram, and two 80 Gig hard drives with a GeForce 2 Ultra, 24x CDRW, DVD, Altec Lansing ADA 895 speakers (got them from Dell, and actually miss them), and the kicker, an 18.1 flat pannel monitor, all for my iMac 600 Flower Power.

So may say that is crazy, but I could not be happier. No more reinstalling the OS every two weeks, so I don't know how much of a sacrifice that is.

13. kishba macrumors 6502a

kishba

i sold my athlon 1 gig and didn't buy a car (i'm 16 and still can't drive because of it)

so i end up riding a bus to work and had to work 3 summers in a row to get my g4 867 w/17" apple lcd

but boy it was well worth it

14. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

because i bought my ibook, cash, from a mac dealer, i had to put my pc laptop, which is directly related to my work, on a radio shack credit card and i am still paying for it over two years later

i could have done without the ibook because my mac clone, at 185 mhz, was fine, but i bought the ibook which was a "want" instead of a "need" so i suffered in credit hell getting my pc

but if i had bought the pc laptop outright at $1,400 dollars usd, i would have simply gone to sears and charged the ibook which i would be paying for right now most likely

i will wait until everything is paid off in full before i buy a new mac and the ibook will have to go, yikes, uh, THREE YEARS...but that is life in the slow lane:p

15. Jookbox macrumors 6502

for those that don't know, Line 6 makes very NICE (and expensive) guitar amps, but i agree - i'd sell it for a mac if i had to :)

16. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

I've been saving as much money as possible for over a year now. Unless by some higher power a new tower is released tonight with really good specs and fast shipping time (not happening). I will be saving until JUly. Then after saving for a year and a half I will buy a new tower and pay off whatever I dont already have later.

17. dnelsongb macrumors member

I sold my G4 Dual 450/1GB Ram/40GB Hd

I sold my < sawtooth > G4 Dual 450/1GB Ram/40GB Hd. In hopes of a newer greater machine. I miss it dearly. How I miss the humm of the huge fan below my desk, knowing the power that I had in that baby. It did everything I wanted. I'm sad now, but I hope its all worth it in the end. Im praying everynight and reading macrumors like a good boy. I wont settle for the Dual Gigahertz machine, its not enough. I want the crown jewel. Which in fact will only be a crown jewel for about 3 months. But none the less. I want the best. God I hope it comes out soon. Im dying!

18. chibianh macrumors 6502a

chibianh

sacrificed my wife and kids.... sold them on eBay to get a Tibook.

all kidding aside.. i have no wife and kids.. i worked for 2 summers and have saved up enough for a Tibook. Going to order my baby this weekend... it'll be my 2nd wife.. and in 3-4 years, i might divorce her and buy another..

19. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

re: iGAV

Welcome to Mac rumors!

I got worked 2 summer jobs one summer then got a real job the following summer. I had a "G4 savings account" the day after the G4 was first shipped out.

Then ... finaly after the Quicksilvers were born... I could afford it. Well.. not really its paid for and I didnt have to kill anyone and I burned the black mail photos I was keeping in case of an emergency :)

20. macktheknife macrumors 6502a

macktheknife

I sold my PC

I pawned my 8+ month old Dell Inspiron 4000 for $950 on eBay and immediately put the money into a 550/512 TiBook with a combo drive for around $2,600. Ouch.

But still! I've never had a more emotional attachment to a computer before the TiBook. I still get envious looks at cafes by poor drones who punch away at their clunky Dells or, worse, an ugly iBook-wannabe Compaq.

Despite the $950 down payment, I'm still paying off the TiBook loan from a generous coworker. So like a previous post said, I'm still in the process of sacrificing for my Mac.

21. eyelikeart thread starter Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Re: I sold my PC

man I still baby the hell out of my TiBook...sometimes I get mean looks from my girlfriend when I tell her to be careful...he he he... :p

22. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I gave up my Old PC collection from an 8088 to a Pentium 90, plus a IIGS, and a Mac II Cx. I also had to give up High School (By Graduating), and promise to leave my PCs at home for at least a year so my parents could use them.

-BTW, Thanks to the Macintosh Business Expo in Seattle in October, My dad is going to switch when he has the money. My mom can barely get Word to access her floppy disk in Windows, so I'll wait to pressure her until dad buys his.

That was just for my TiBook 500, with free OSX befor OSX was preloaded. Now what Will I have to give up for a G4/5 Tower?

TEG

23. rEd Eye macrumors regular

I'm filthy stinking rich.Money's no object,so I bought the first expensive,prettiest computer that jumped out at me.It was a G4 DP1GB model.
    I very much look forward to having my sweet young secretary check my email with it.
    I am aware that it came with a bunch of other supposedly impressive features that do something or other.
    I thinkthat it makes the reception room much cozier..I can tell that my clients are impressed,because it was so expensive:D
    I think I am going to get one of those new imacs for my kitchen,it would look good there.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually,I live in a cheap shabby home,eat conservatively,and work my ass off to maintain my mac centred electronics addiction,as well as stay alive.:(
    If I only needed an email machine,I would just use my PC,however I am dependant on the mac enviroment due to exclusive software that I must use.
    Plus windoze reeeeealy sux!