How many of you guys use GIMP??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by elevenpower, Mar 30, 2005.

1. elevenpower macrumors newbie

Feb 15, 2005
    I was just wondering how many of you guys use the GIMP program?

I was reading up on it, and while it doesn't seem as powerful as Photoshop, it does seem to have some nice qualities for the price (free).

I'm thinking of giving it a shot for some moderate tasks.

For those of you that do use it, or have used it, what is/was your experience with it?
  2. bubbamac macrumors 6502

Dec 24, 2003
    I play with it, it's quite powerful to me. I'm a photoshop/GIMP wannabe, though. I don't understand most of the functions, but it sure is fun to play with.

It's free - it'll cost you nothing but time to try it out.
  3. tombo macrumors member

Sep 14, 2004
    Brighton/Bristol UK
    I have used the GIMP for a few pieces of coursework. I get good results with it.

It seems that if you have used neither Photoshop or GIMP before, it is relatively easy to start with either, but hard to switch between the two.

The two packages are so very different, and came about in different ways, and users are completely polarised: PS spit on the GIMP and vice versa

Although GIMP has been around far shorter than PS, by the current version, 2.2 or something it can perform almost the same tasks with nearly identical results. Features may seem harder to find through drop-downs, but they are pretty much identical now.

It's free and is open source, so that's only a good thing :)
  4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    Tried it, didn't like it...

Tried Photoshop Elements, liked it but missed Image Ready...

Think I'll stick with Photoshop, for now... although I don't see how I can afford CS2, when Adobe doesn't have an edu discount (here in Norway, at least...)
  5. nichos macrumors 6502

Jul 17, 2004
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Been using it for YEARS on linux, and since I got my mac, I use it for my image editing - BUT I'm not graphic artist. I must say, so far, there hasn't been anything I want to do, that gimp can't handle. Give it a shot, it cant hurt :D
  6. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

Jan 6, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    Also ScriptFu is great if you want to make website graphics but are graphically impared like me.
  7. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Nov 13, 2003
    I really like GIMP, as i can't afford to pick up photoShop. For the odd pictures that needs some tweaking this is the program for it!
  8. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Oct 15, 2003
    The soggy side of the Pacific NW
    I used the Gimp for a couple years when I was a desktop Linux person. It can do quite a lot, but it's interface is nowhere near as intuitive as Photoshop's. That means the learning curve can be steep. However (unlike a lot of open-source software) the Gimp has a lot of documentation, tutorials, and the like available on the web. Google is really your friend in this case.

Photoshop can do a lot more than the Gimp, but for the typical user that doesn't matter in the least. Comparing the Gimp to Photoshop Elements is probably more fair; the main thing you'll miss in the Gimp is the automated tools that Elements (or the full Photoshop) provides.
  9. geese macrumors 6502a

Oct 23, 2003
    London, UK
    Close your eyes- nasty joke coming up

I have use of a GIMP if thats any help. He's in my basement. :D

Sorry to lower the tone.
  10. Platform macrumors 68030

Dec 30, 2004
    I use GIMP, but also PS, not sure if PS is faster, but use PS more becasue of familiarity ;)