How many of you have replaced your own iPod battery

Discussion in 'iPod' started by 840quadra, Sep 20, 2006.

How many have replaced batteries in their iPod ?

Poll closed Sep 27, 2006.
  1. I have replaced batteries

14 vote(s)
  2. I should but haven't yet

0 vote(s)
  3. I sent it out to have it done

0 vote(s)
  4. I just buy a new iPod

11 vote(s)
  5. I just bought or will buy a Zen or Zune

1 vote(s)
  1. 840quadra Moderator

Staff Member

Feb 1, 2005
    Twin Cities Minnesota
    As the topic states, how many have done iPod battery replacement work themselves?

I did mine in my 3g 15gb model some time earlier this year. Do most of you keep an iPod long enough to do this, or do you just toss it (hopefully not) and buy a new one?
  2. aquajet macrumors 68020

Feb 12, 2005
    I replaced the battery in my 3G 20gb last year. It was a bitch but worth it. The runtime is better than new.

I didn't want to trash it because:

1. It does everything I need
    2. It was a gift from my mother

As a side note, I just bought some of that Kit Scratch Out stuff from the auto parts store and it works wonders. My three-year-old iPod looks nearly new again. :)
  3. 748s macrumors 6502a

Dec 14, 2001
    Tiger Bay
    did my 40GB 3G in june 06. Easier than I thought. Have to get it up on eBay. I got a 60GB 5G soon after.
  4. iMeowbot macrumors G3

Aug 30, 2003
    A note on the poll options: the Zune battery is just like the iPod's, not meant to be user-replaceable, so don't think of buying one for that reason!

The batteries are pretty easy to change on the "big" iPods, especially the second time :) The mini-style enclosures are much more painful.
  5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    None of the above...

My 2 1/2 year old Mini's battery is still going strong... :)
  6. aquajet macrumors 68020

Feb 12, 2005
    Everybody seems to say that the batteries are fairly easy to replace. I had a lot of trouble opening mine; it seemed like the thing was glued together. I managed to break the plastic tool included with the battery, but once I managed to open the case, it was smooth-sailing.

I could imagine the second time is easier, after having broken the seal once already. We'll see the next time I need to replace the battery.
  7. iMeowbot macrumors G3

Aug 30, 2003
    The second-time thing also applies if you need to crack open a new iPod. You already know what you're in for :D
  8. Lau Guest

Me and my boyfriend replaced his in his 3G, but we broke it. :( It wouldn't charge, even though the battery was fine, and a bit of research pointed to the fact we broke the motherboard somehow. We just had to sit and watch the nice new battery dying over the next week or so. :p

It was his fault, obviously. ;)

I replaced the hard drive in my friend's 4G though (with the hard drive out of the dead 3G) and that was pretty easy. I think the problem with the battery was that it's a bit more complicated because it's under everything, and it was slightly bigger than the old one and he forced it in a bit, well, forcefully.
  9. nbs2 macrumors 68030

Mar 31, 2004
    A geographical oddity
    Where is the option for "No reason to change it since my iPod is still plugging along"? At 3+ years, I'm ecstatic (especially since it was an Apple Store demo, so it must have been getting busy in the store for a good while before that).
  10. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

Aug 20, 2005
    Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
    Nope, never but last week I had to open up my 4G ipod because the HD was clicking...working fine now though...funny how you really don't check for your old stuff until something happens to it...I can't put m 4G down now.

11. Bibulous macrumors 6502a

Jan 19, 2005
    I replaced the battery of my 10GB 2nd gen, only to have the HD die a few months later. :(

Very easy to do and returned playtime to around 8 hours.
  12. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Dec 27, 2002
    Alameda, CA
    I replaced the battery in my 2G 20gb iPod over a year ago with one of the high-capacity batteries from OWC... I'm still getting well over 12 hours of music playback (I actually just timed it last week... finally gave up after 13 hours with the battery indicator still showing 1/4 remaining).
  13. Dave00 macrumors 6502a

Dec 2, 2003
    I've been toying with this idea myself. I have a 3G 30gb iPod. Debating about whether it's worth it to try to replace. One option would be a new iPod, which would be smaller and color screen and could hold photos, for $249. Or, replace with a battery kit, ~$25; or have the apple store replace it, $50. Is the aggravation of trying to get the thing open and not break it worth the $25? I've been waiting on getting a brand new iPod until they make one that has a viable solution for transferring photos off cards (the Belkin is NOT a viable solution.)

Strange, my 2G iPod (20gb) is still going strong. Gets about 8h per charge. But capacity is just a little too small.

14. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

Apr 14, 2006
    Clemson, SC
    I haven't kept an iPod yet long enough to need to replace the battery (probably needs to be quite a long while, doesn't it? mine of 2 years was still going strong before I sold it recently).

At any rate, if I did have an iPod that needed a battery replacement, I would probably get it done by someone else. I don't know how comfortable I'd feel about cracking one open myself, to be honest. Bit of a wuss when it comes to that stuff, actually. :p
  15. JDN macrumors 6502a

Sep 7, 2006
    Lund Sweden {London England}
    #15 has detailed tutorials about how to change everything in you iPod. And sells all the parts. You could even build you own iPod, but im sure it would cost more than getting online, or instore. It does look pretty easy to change almost all of it. Just got to be delicate i guess.
  16. abeyk macrumors regular

Jul 9, 2006
    Houston, TX