How many of you upgraded to iLife 06?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by findpankaj, Mar 13, 2006.

1. findpankaj macrumors member

Folks, give me an idea if its worth upgrading to iLife 06. Main applications I use - iPhoto, iDVD, iMovie. Are there any remarkable changes in these applications?

Is there going to be iLife 07 08 and so on in future ??

2. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Hi findpankaj, I would say yes it's worth it to upgrade to iLife '06 just for the apps. you say your using on a regular basis. iPhoto has some nice upgrades to it as does iMovie which I found out within the last month of using it for some family events. I'm not sure about iDVD as it seems to work just how I'd like it to and thus I've not yet played around with it like some of the others.

How much time do you spend using these apps. on say a weekly basis? Was there something that you would want to see in an app. but aren't sure if it was added to it? Just trying to get a feel of what/how much info your looking for.

3. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

I didn't buy iLife 06 alone, it came with my iMac Core Duo. I would say it's worth upgrading to. I don't really use iWeb considering I don't have a .mac account (I'm on and off trying to decide if I would ever use it). My most used app is iPhoto 6... it's a very good upgrade. I love the full screen editor. Steve was right when he made the comment how it cuts like butter or w/e ridiculous comment he said :eek:

Of course there will be an iLife 07 - 08... I'm pretty sure they make an annual iLife.

Bottom Line: If you use the listed apps in iLife a good amount then I would recommend the upgrade, but if not I'm sure you could hold out.

4. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

I thought so. iPhoto '06 is nice and so is iWeb (particularly is you use .Mac like I do).

I think Garageband also got a lot of new features which allow it to be used for audio editing & podcasts, but I haven't really ever used that.

Lastly, the new themes are nice in iDVD/iMovie.

5. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

You don't need .mac to use iWeb

6. findpankaj thread starter macrumors member

Thanks all.
    One thing which stands out for me is the full screen editing. Thats a cool feature. I think I should also go for a demo in the Apple store. Its always fun to be there :)

7. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

It was Scrolls Like Butter and it wasn't ridiculous, it was brilliant. I believe it's actually something Woz uses to indicate how well something scrolls.

8. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

By ridiculous I meant.... ridiculously entertaining?

I understand that... what I meant to say is: "I don't use iWeb"

9. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

10. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

20rogersc

I upgraded from 04 and there was a large difference. iPhoto is so much faster and smoother, and has some easy editing tools. iMovie has some new themes and just seems nicer to use. However I don't use iDVD or GarageBand so I couldn't tell you about them.

Personally, it's worth it for iPhoto alone.

::20ROGERSC::

11. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I thought the usual expression was 'as smooth as a hot knife through butter' under any circumstances. From the look on his face afterwards, I thought he'd just missed part of the line... whatever... it's relatively unimportant so long as it works.

The annoying thing is that if you have some pictures open while scrolling, the little bevel with the date always shows what's at the top of the page - irritating when the middle of the page has the open file and the top of the page is closed rolls!

Oh yeah.. and I upgraded mostly for iPhoto and partly for the Core Video tricks in iMovie

12. Grasbak macrumors 6502

I upgraded recently. I have had a problem with iMovie. Preview playback can be very jumpy - makes it hard to time sounds/fades etc. I am sure it wasnt like this in 05 - but I hadnt used iMovie as much as now. Considering my machines specs (see below) should i get smooth previews? (When exported as a movie the jumps/stutters dissapear)

13. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

It is cool.

You can set iPhoto to open up images in the full screen edit mode when you double click on them (instead of them opening in the iPhoto window or in a separate window).

14. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    You should but it does depend partly on how complex the previews are; how big the files are, how many clips you have running. If you've gone over 99 audio clips (easy to do in a 30 minute movie if you split the audio/video to tweak it), then it will start getting very jumpy - unsurprisingly since iMovie can't handle that many clips gracefully.

Another problem might be that your HD is being used for the video and for virtual memory at the same time. My iMovie speeded up immensely when I started using an external HD connected via Firewire.

One suggestion is to change the preview rate in Preferences to a slightly lower setting.

15. Halsey12 macrumors regular

I had both iLife 05 and iWork 05, and I upgraded both, to then find 7 gb's of my hard drive were used for the upgrades. Turns out iWork didn't upgrade, it installed a new iWork right next to my old one, so I uninstalled the old one, but that was only 2 gb's back. So anyways, I was disappointed that the iLife upgrade still took up like 5 gb's. I ended up using appzapper to get rid of Garage Band and iMovie and iDvd and iWeb to get some of that space back. I really just wanted the new iPhoto, which is now driving me nuts because it imports all my Canon camera pics in at 72 dpi, when the old iPhotos used to import them at 180 dpi. I can't find anywhere to change this. And no, it's not my camera- it always stays set on Large for the picture quality, and they used to import at 180 dpi at about 8" x 11", and now they come in at 72 dpi at 22" x my god 28"!

16. Grasbak macrumors 6502

thanks for info. However, I noticed that after importing one 40sec clip (from my coolpix camera, video only) and applying one effect (fade in), the problem starts :eek: . I will check it again making sure I have no other programs running.....

17. Island Dog macrumors 6502a

Island Dog

I upgraded as soon as it was released. I think it was worth it, and I would also recommend upgrading.

18. rjgonzales macrumors regular

I upgraded about two weeks ago. I haven't had a whole lot of time to get deep into any one application as I have a 5 month old son to look after, but from what I have seen so far it was well worth the $79.

19. MrTchMan macrumors member

I would buy the upgrade. I will be getting a Intel iMac soon and sell my powerbook So I am going to hold off. I want to check out iWeb

20. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I have a copy of iLife 06, but I'm using iLife 05 right now and pretty happy with it, and thinking about just selling it off.... Actually, come to think of it, I also have an extra copy of iLife 05, because iLife is now only on my iMac.

21. bense27 macrumors regular

I have never used 05. I have 06 though and it is great!

22. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

ilife is one of the 5 main reasons for me to use a mac. i upgraded to ilife 06 (full price) and it's worth it.

iphoto runs faster, seems to be more stable, has some nice new features.

imovie seems faster and more reliable than in 05.

idvd seems more stable.

iweb is great for dummies like me. now i have a website via .mac.

all in all it's a great package. i could have stayed with ilfe 05. but 06 is just good enough to justify the expense in my view.

in order to make me update to ilife 07 they need some major improvements or additional functionality. otherwise i'll skip ilife 07. for just incremental improvements 06 is already too good (in my view).

23. Coca-Cola macrumors 6502

Yep, I agree the iPhoto upgrade is worth it alone. I use it a lot. The new features are powerful. I now use iPhoto even more. iWeb is awesome as well. If you are upgrading from iLife 04 it is well worth it. I am glad I skipped iLife 05. I think I will skip iLife 07.