How many of you will try VISTA?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by findpankaj, Mar 22, 2006.

?

Will you try VISTA?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2006.
  1. Yes

66 vote(s)
    55.0%
  2. No

25 vote(s)
    20.8%
  3. May be

29 vote(s)
    24.2%
  1. findpankaj macrumors member

A lot of buzz about VISTA recently. But I wonder, how many mac lovers are going to try out latest offering from Microsoft (its not that they have to).

With so many OS X like features (may be enhanced) are expected, I can see a lot of people actually trying VISTA. I am sure gamers will...

Well, I am going to try that, if it can support my existing PC hardware!

2. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

I will use it because I know I will have to support it.

3. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

I don't have a pc, so i can't install it. but i will probably use it in spare time with other people's computers. casually.

btw, you spelt maybe wrong…

4. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

On all my Windows machines, of course. Who wants to be stuck with XP ;)

I'd advise Mac users to try it as well, if they come across a machine with it installed. Even if all you come away with is reassurance that OS X is better for you.

5. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

I'm sure I'll use it around work a few times and maybe at home since my Dad likes to have a PC around incase he needs it for anything.

6. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

I'll definitely try it. Its a new program that competes with OS X (or so they say :p ). I really want to see how they have improved Windows, if any.

7. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I'll keep an eye on the reviews etc of it but I don't feel that it's going to offer anything that I need so I'm unlikely to use it until they get round to upgrading at work... or until one of my PC friends asks me to try to help.

8. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Maybe because my dad is against Macs (although he did just recently purchase the 5th gen iPod)... so we'll eventually get a new PC.

9. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

10. iBunny macrumors 65816

My PC is still #1. I dont buy pre built bloated OEMs tho, I build my own. :)

I will use vista for sure. For the complete gaming expirance.

11. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

I don't have PC at home, but I'm pretty sure that work will eventually upgrade to Vista. It only took them until 2003 to move to XP, so hopefully we should be on Vista by 2010. :rolleyes:

12. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I'll probably only need XP for the next two years so I doubt it, unless I can get a copy CHEAP from my grad school just to mess around with.

Right now there's no need unless applications become Vista-only very quickly after its release.

13. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

Already trying it now. My current PC boots XP/OS X/ Vista :)

14. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

15. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I've already tried Vista and I have to admit its great. I'd rather use OS X though. Vista will get a lot of buzz when it finally comes out but then Microsoft won't release anything new for another four years or something so OS X will be able to rule again.

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'll try it when I get the chance. But I somehow don't see any managed environments with which I interface migrating to it any time soon. And I'm not buying it. So unless I use it on a friend's computer... I guess it'll be a while.

17. Malfoy macrumors 6502a

Malfoy

18. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

yes. halo 2=vista only.
    but perhaps not. hopefully my next major computer will be a mac, but even if it's not i'm not sure i'm keen on vista. even with my high-end hardware xp is still a bloated, slow POS and vista's features, while sorta cool, don't seem worth upgrading for.
    btw, who predicts we see things like this?
    mswindowsvistacorporate+halo2~slipstream[deviance].rar
    :p

19. Neil4512 macrumors newbie

I will definetly try Vista, I'm looking to get a desktop to complement my current laptop, and if Vista really impresses me, I may build a PC instead of buying a PowerMac.

20. displaced macrumors 65816

displaced

Like others, I'm already using the Vista previews which I receive via my MSDN subscription. I'll be developing new (and updating old) applications to work with Vista, so forewarned is forearmed.

(no, not the things between your elbows and wrists, fool... fore-armed!)

I'm pretty 'meh...' about it to be honest. It wasn't just the prettyness of OS X which relegated my home PC use to 'Wintendo' status. It was the whole approach and design of the OS. Vista's pretty. But it's still pretty much a progression of the Windows archetype -- which I'm not all that fond of (for both technical and visceral reasons).

The only areas of Microsoft's business that I truly enjoy are the development tools and the .NET Framework. Like every platform, there's stuff that drives me insane (VS2005 is quirky on big projects, and .NET has some frustrating gaps), but I get a kick out of using them. I'm a .NET Compact Framework developer (PDA's, Smartphones, etc), and MS really has put some great development tools out there for these devices. It still suffers a little from Windows' wobbliness, but that's par for the course.

The Windows Way on the desktop has simply lost interest for me. Unless Vista pulls some serious rabbits out of some big-ass hats, my time spent using, supporting and fixing Windows will remain on company time only.

[edit: my 'Wintendo' gaming PC still runs Windows 2000. The total number of games I've been unable to run because I don't have XP is.... 0. Of my time spent using XP (every waking second at work), the total number of things I've wished I had in OS X is.... 0. Of my month-or-so spent with the latest Vista CTP, the total number of features I've liked enough to want to use it as my main system at home is... (you guessed it!) 0. Microsoft need something revolutionary, not evolutionary.]

21. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

at school but never on a computer that i own, unless its free:rolleyes:

22. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I'm gonna get a new iBook and the day vista comes out I'm gonna install it so I can work out all the bugs and have a Windows PC all ready for when I go off to college.

oh wait, Vista isn't comming out until AFTER I'm in college...well maybe I'll just have to wait until spring to install it...see what type of gaming performance I can get.

23. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I tried it and hated it. They've moved and renamed everything again, it literally took me 2 minutes to find the menus in Media Player! :eek: