How many of you will upgrade to Mountain Lion on release day?

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by Dragoro, Jul 24, 2012.

?

Upgrade immediately or wait and see how it goes for others?

  1. Soon as I can

    234 vote(s)
    80.1%
  2. Wait to see how it goes for others

    58 vote(s)
    19.9%
  1. macrumors 6502

    Dragoro

    Joined:
    Nov 27, 2010
    #1
    Will you upgrade to Mountain Lion on release day or wait a while to see how it goes for others upgrading?
     
  2. ugp
    macrumors 65816

    ugp

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2008
    Location:
    Inverness, Florida
    #2
    No problems upgrading day one. Did it in the past.
     
  3. Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #3
    I usually wait, but not this time, ML seems stable and offers improvements to Lion.
     
  4. macrumors G4

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2006
    #4
    I'm going to just go for it on this occasion.
     
  5. macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2011
    #5
    That's what waking up early is meant for. At least for me :)
     
  6. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 24, 2012
    Location:
    IA, USA
    #6
    I'm going for it on day of release. That's assuming Apple emails me my redemption code on time :cool:
     
  7. macrumors 6502a

    tcphoto

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2005
    Location:
    Madison, GA
    #7
    I depend on shooting tethered and learned my lesson on Snow Leopard. If the other software is compatible, I will upgrade to 10.8. It's difficult to explain to a Client that they can't preview the images on the monitor when they're paying me so much.
     
  8. macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2012
    #8
    I think you forgot the category "I can't upgrade to ML" in the poll.

    Personally I don't think I'll upgrade at all. Will wait for a new computer to do that.
     
  9. macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2012
    #9
    urm... wrong section?


    anywayz, personally not upgrading, but waiting for the apple store to switch over to ML pre-installed ... then i'll purchase it straight away (not sure if that sounds stupid of rather ordering it then upgrade myself but... oh well)
     
  10. macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 25, 2009
    Location:
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    #10
    I voted "soon as I can" but only for one of my devices; my rMBP. I believe it will work very well with ML based on the newness of the device and the reports from testers.

    However, my two Minis and my 2009 iMac will not quickly go to ML. In fact, this past weekend I just upgraded my iMac from SL to Lion. That was not pretty. So I will hold off on a few point upgrades to ML before upgrading them.
     
  11. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2012
    Location:
    Denmark
    #11
    Upgrade as soon as I can.

    - If I don't like it or if it's too buggy, well, I just downgrade to Lion again. :)
     
  12. macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2007
    #12
    Will wait at least a week....

    All you beta testers have at it.

    Seldom is Apples testing representative of the real world. Look back over the last 2 years and tell me it is!
     
  13. macrumors 65816

    teleromeo

    Joined:
    Dec 2, 2006
    Location:
    kidnapped by aliens
    #13
    I upgraded to snow leopard only a few months ago because I needed it to run lightroom 4. If everything works fine I don't install upgrades.
     
  14. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2010
    #14
    Wait for 1 week
     
  15. macrumors 603

    heisenberg123

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2010
    Location:
    Hamilton, Ontario
    #15
    downloaded a lot of p0rn this month so im close to my bandwith limit might have to wait till august ;)
     
  16. ugp
    macrumors 65816

    ugp

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2008
    Location:
    Inverness, Florida
    #16
    Yes! lol
     
  17. macrumors 6502

    Godzilla71

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2009
    Location:
    WA state
    #17
    I just finally upgraded to SL lol so i'll wait a bit.
     
  18. macrumors 603

    roland.g

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2005
    Location:
    One mile up and soaring
    #18
    Actually both.

    Day one through up to date on my 2012 MBA.

    Wait to see compatability issues on my main machine: iMac as that has too much crucial stuff on it to lose functionality.
     
  19. macrumors 68030

    zorinlynx

    Joined:
    May 31, 2007
    Location:
    Florida, USA
    #19
    Probably upgrade in the first couple days, but I plan to take a CCC backup image first, so if anything I use regularly breaks, I can revert and try again after a few point releases.

    That's the key; make an image of your current system with Carbon Copy Cloner before you upgrade. This makes the upgrade zero-risk; if anything goes wrong you can revert without losing a thing.

    Not to mention, it makes an excellent full backup in the unlikely event that your data gets damaged.
     
  20. macrumors 6502a

    soloer

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2004
    Location:
    Omaha
    #20
    Upgrade as soon as I see it. Doubt it will be worse than Lion so why not!
     
  21. macrumors 68000

    WhackyNinja

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2012
    Location:
    Kissimmee, FL
    #21
    Im staying up all night...once I get word of ML in the App Store...TIME TO GET DOWNLOADING!
     
  22. macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 22, 2006
    #22
    I am already on ML GM and it works beautifully on the rMBP. A few compatibility issues with some older apps, but nothing an update can't fix.
     
  23. macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2007
    #23
    Not on my home system. But I may upgrade a work Mac as a test sacrifice. :)

    In general, I wait for the .1 release before upgrading important systems. Also gives time for my 3rd party software to catch up a bit.
     
  24. macrumors G4

    wrldwzrd89

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2003
    Location:
    Solon, OH
    #24
    Fortunately for me, all my (Intel-native) 3rd-party software is either ready for Mountain Lion now or will be with a few minor changes. Yes, there is still one PPC-only program I use occasionally, and I must boot into Snow Leopard to run it.
     
  25. macrumors 604

    thejadedmonkey

    Joined:
    May 28, 2005
    Location:
    Pa
    #25
    $20 for expose. I'm so pissed at that.
     

Share This Page