How many people have you converted?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Saz, Dec 15, 2006.

1. Saz macrumors newbie

Ok so i was wondering how many people everybody has converted onto macs this year? I'm talking about family friends and co-workers (it doesn't count if you work at an apple store and your converting customers)

It seems that this whole apple thing has taken over...
    anyway here's my list:

-Ex girlfriend bought a new powerbook beginning of this year
    -Converted a friend of mine onto a mac (random i met at the library) he payed 2500 for my old G4 laptop 2-3 weeks later (by that time the intel macs came in so i was looking for a new laptop anyway)
    -Best friends girlfriend is now a proud owner of a macbook
    -girlfriend is so close to buying a macbook
    -girlfriends mother has become an apple corporate customer, her entire company is moving towards macs... she was so impressed with parallels and everything i was doing she set up a board meeting and called apple that day (note that this company has over 250 retail stores over Aus and the head office has about 1000 employees... probably one of my proudest moments)
    -My boss and 2 other employees at my work have bought one. (my boss came running down 2 my desk the other day with a 17inch macbook pro and so excited... he hasn't shut up about it.
    -all of my friends are well on their way... but they won't buy one this year.
    -and finally my sister, she was probably the hardest to convince since she hates everything i like. She bought one today (and soon the entire faculty of her school should be on them. I've almost convinced the principle :p)

Anyway that's it for me... i'm sure i'm not the only one that's been like this. (sometimes i strongly feel that i should work for apple... but then again every loyal apple fanatic probably convinces everyone they know to use a mac)

I can't think of anyone else...

2. Queso macrumors G4

I don't see it as converting, more as dispelling the disinformation. Most people hear so much crap and FUD about Macs. But a few people this year I know have bought them simply because I seem to be able to do everything on my PowerBook that they can do on Windows, but with all those nice little extras like not having to wait 60 seconds when you wake it from sleep, wireless that always works, etc. Generally they are interested in Macs before I even get a word in, they just need reassurance about it before they hand over the cash.

3. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Of course, there's a whole lot of crap and FUD talked by Mac users about Windows machines too of course ;)

I've 'converted' a lot of people. Basically it's my policy now to recommend Macs to anyone who can't be trusted around a Windows PC. Which means spouses of clients, some clients, kids, etc. They're happy, what more can you ask for?

4. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Ive converted one :eek: Your efforts make up for my lameness. That being said my Sister is looking for a computer and will likely ask me the way to go so that is an almost gauranteed Mac sale. I am also moving into my first home soon so my brother who currently shares my MacBook and G5 will want a computer too as well as my parents so theres another one at least.

I dont see it as converting as such, its down to the person to decide what they want. However we can point out the differences (mostly benefits) from owning a Mac.

I think security is the big thing at the moment and that is what is boosting switchers in my opinion. Even though they then use bootcamp :rolleyes:

5. Queso macrumors G4

I can only go on what I hear the PC laptop users around me complaining about. I wouldn't touch a Windows laptop with a bargepole, but that's probably not a surprise :)

6. cbetta macrumors regular

I converted 3 people after I got my first mac, and 2 are still saving money. The better news is:

I converted 2 people BEFORE I got my first mac.

7. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

As I said, some people can't be trusted around a Windows PC... especially if the guys administering their systems hasn't got much of a clue either.

8. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

I have converted 4 folks already based on the results of what I have been able to produce and the time it takes to produce it...it is not like converting really - people talk about the things they are doing and I reflect how I had simmilar issues on a PC and the time it took me to get it done and now with a Mac my workflow is is much quicker and the error rate is almost non-existent...seeing is believing..;)

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

A few!

I convinced my girlfriend they were better machines (we both hated them at college, ugly G3's when G5's were out). She wants one. Badly. and a Mac too.

My gran. I *think*. She wants a laptop as she travels between her numerous homes on mainland Europe. Recommended she gets a MacBook so we can do video chats and that. Everytime shes home in England she says "I want a computer!" and then does nothing. hmm.

A game/graphic designer. Though his course lent him an iMac, before he got to that stage I rambled on about how great they were.

My Apple-hating mate. Always hated them. Saw my iMac, asked if he could dual boot into Windows. Weeks later he bought one on impulse. Still hates iPod though!

My sister. She wants a Mac Mini to connect to her bedroom TV (has VGA input, 1024*768). Got her into iPod too!

My dad considered buying one for the study, rather than a new PC due to the low power consumption of an iMac and the low-ish price.

Few people from my course! I was the first to take the plunge and buy a PowerBook whilst at university. Months later and all 8 people on the course had one!

:)

10. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

6 People so far, i am not very active in trying to get people to switch but i sure can get 10 more to switch.

11. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

- Mum
    - Grandma
    - Dad
    - 2 Friends
    - 2 Ex-girlfriends
    ---------
    7 total

12. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Dad
    sister

and all I have is a Mac classic and a G3 iMac!

(STILL WAITING FOR A MINI!!!)

13. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Three and counting. My friend's girlfriend got an iBook a while back. My fiancee grabbed a MacBook this summer. My roomate's having an iMac delivered this week.

My mom's convinced but doesn't have the cash ATM. She's definitely jonesing for a MacBook, though. I've lent my old lampshade iMac to my parents which my mom loves and my dad tolerates. I'm slowly bringing my dad along, though. Hooked up a mighty mouse for him and he said "Great! Now I can finally scroll! If they'd only put a right-click on there, it'd be perfect!" At which time I pointed out that there was a right-click. "How do I do it?" "Just right-click."

*click*

"How does it know?" :D

My other roomie is in the market for a new computer too, so I'm working on him as well but he's gonna be another hard sell. We'll see.

14. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Likewise... and especially when they're going to administer it themselves :eek:

I've done 6 - basically, everyone who used to call me for PC technical support is now on a Mac... and hasn't asked for much since.

15. Buschmaster macrumors 65816

Buschmaster

I typically convert on accident. Like my friend Emily, she came over and saw my computer and we had a blast with photo booth and she saw all it was able to do and bought one for herself.

The person who converted me, again on accident, was Bill Gates. I was so sick of so many things that I gave up.

16. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i try not to sway people's buying decisions. i offer my input and advice, but i'm not "selling" macs to people i know.

but, so far:
    a friend
    another friend and her sister
    a friend's sister
    most importantly, my sister.

my sister hasn't owned a computer since the mac classic ii she passed down to me from her days in college. her work has always provided her with a windows laptop to use, so she's never had the need to buy one. but finally making a purchase earlier this year (to keep her photos and music), i'm proud that she decided to get herself a macbook. i think frontrow sold it for her.

17. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Oh, and all my mates who have seen my iMac have ended up wanting one :D I think my Midi keyboard/A4 drawing tablet/dual monitor/amp and speaker setup all help it.

Tis an awfully nice looking machine the iMac.

18. steelphantom macrumors 6502a

steelphantom

Last Christmas, I was showing my aunt all the cool stuff my iBook could do, and she seemed really impressed. A few weeks later, she called and said that they had bought an iMac! A few months after that, they bought a MacBook as well. :D

I almost convinced this kid at school to get a MacBook, but at the last minute he decided against it and went with a Gateway. It would have been pretty funny if he did get a Mac, because at the beginning of the semester he made fun of me all the time for using a Mac, but by the end of the semester he thought they were the coolest things ever! Apparently not cool enough to buy over a Gateway, though. :p

19. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Well, I didn't convert him, but my brother bought a Mac mini this year after seeing mine and after visiting the Apple Store here in Charlotte and talking to one of the salesguys for a while.

20. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

I converted my teacher. I always bring my Mac laptop into school for work and such. First he got an iPod, then he got a MacBook, and now he has an iMac as well.

21. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

I converted 2. A friend of mine and my brother.

22. Mammoth macrumors 6502a

Mammoth

A teacher of mine, my family, at least 4 or so friends say they're getting a Mac next time they get a new computer..

23. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

6 x personal friends of mine, who have since bought MacBooks and one an iMac.
    1 x head of music at my school
    1 x work dude
    1 x brother of a friend
    9 x people wanting to get MacBooks having seen my MacBook Pro.

24. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

sister
    mom
    friends(a few)

my sister converted here friends