How many people have you helped switch to firefox?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by fuzzn, May 27, 2006.

1. fuzzn macrumors member

Mar 22, 2005
    Notts, UK
    Hey everyone! I was recently at my uncle's house and was using his PC and found that he didn't have Firefox installed. While using IE6 it just felt so bad to be surfing the net and downloading things compared to Firefox. It was slow and there were too many pop-ups and it was just "eyuckkh"....When i told him to switch to Firefox and forget all about IE6 he kept telling me how IE6 is the best browser ever and Mozilla Firefox is crap and how it brings lots of viruses and 3rd Party software!! I was shocked! So I decided to install it anyway when he wasn't looking and he got even more angry and made me uninstall it straight away... my lil bro installed it on his son's laptop and his son now loves it! :D As soon as his father found out he made us uninstall it again which made his son almost start crying! Lol.

So he's stubborn and will not switch to Firefox, but i've helped around 13-14 people switch and now they HATE IE. I feel like i've made a difference!

Sooooo.... tell tell, how many people have YOU helped switch to Firefox (the greatest browser EVER created!!)? :)
  2. miniConvert macrumors 68040

Mar 4, 2006
    Kent, UK - the 'Garden of England'.
    One Mac user who was hating Safari. I switched myself to Camino, under the same umbrella just a better browser for Mac IMHO :)
  3. Boggle macrumors 6502

Are you kidding? It's everybody else's job to switch ME over to good things. I don't have time (let alone the inclination) to actually LEARN about stuff.

The world exists purely to ensure my comfort, didn't you get the memo?
  4. HckySo macrumors 6502

Apr 9, 2006
    turn around
    Me and a few people started a petition for the school to get Firefox and now we have a now we have a no Internet Explorer policy. But now we're almost all Macs so it doesn't matter anymore. I use Camino on my Powerbook in school.
  5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    I switched lots of people over to Firefox when it first reached v0.8, I think.

Now I'm switching people to Camino because it works better for everything. It's missing features that I miss having in Firefox (you can't rearrange tabs in Camino! :( ), but in terms of quickness on the first load, and overall lack of sluggishness and lack of problems playing media files, compatibility with certain sites that load picture galleries, etc, Camino is much better.
  6. combatcolin macrumors 68020

Oct 24, 2004
    Northants, UK
  7. iGary Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    None. I'm still trying to get old laggards to ditch IE for Safari. Have to pick your battles, you know. ;)
  8. Queso macrumors G4

Mar 4, 2006
    The only ones I work on are the web developers at companies I do projects for. So far three UK corporate websites have been re-written for Firefox thanks to me pushing it :)
  9. HckySo macrumors 6502

Apr 9, 2006
    turn around
    Kind of funny how word gets around, I switched my friend who switched his family who switched their co-workers who switched their families and it could be more but thats all I know of. Windows users need to know they aren't mac users, they need third party software.
  10. zelmo macrumors 603

Jul 3, 2004
    Mac since 7.5
    Just one. When we got my wife her Vaio laptop, it was under the condition that she never launch IE.;)
  11. zach macrumors 65816

Feb 14, 2003
    none, because Firefox sucks.
    Safari/Safari WebKit/Opera/Konqueror ftw.
  12. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Apr 21, 2004
    I've switched at least 8 people to Firefox. However, I use Camino on my Mac.

13. CHAOS STEP macrumors 6502

Nov 2, 2005
    playing tiddlywinks with Kim Jong-un
    A couple of people, however Firefox doesn't run as well as it used to following some updates. I would use Camino, or go back to Safari, but they don't have that handy 'detect right click if you hold and click' and Camino won't open stuff auto in tabs.
  14. interlaced macrumors 6502a

Nov 16, 2005
    Haha. I didn't know so many people made an effort to switch people over to Firefox. I've switched about 10 people, but most were PC users.
  15. UKnjb macrumors 6502a

May 23, 2005
    London, UK
    None. I have managed to get a few to switch to Shiira, though. And I shall keep on pushing that particular switch. :)
  16. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    some here, some there....

but then there are those too stubborn to use anything other than IE. :eek: :confused:
  17. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Jan 23, 2005
    A lot, actually... but only on PCs.

I never tried to switch someone who uses a Mac - I love Safari!
  18. Glen Quagmire macrumors 6502a

Jan 6, 2006
    None, and it shall remain ever so. Firefox is *not* the best browser ever created. Most of its features are rip-offs of Opera and the rampant fanboi-ism surrounding it is deeply irritating. It's a piece of software, not a religion, and not a particularly good one at that.

Safari is a lot better than Firefox and Opera is light years ahead. Firefox doesn't even come close. It's slow, ugly, memory-hungry and relies on too many dodgy extensions to supply functionality that comes out of the box with other browsers (mouse gestures, Paste+Go, etc, etc).
  19. Queso macrumors G4

Mar 4, 2006
    All noted Glen, and many of us Mac users who get people onto Firefox agree with you, but.....

If web developers code for Firefox on Windows, they are thinking outside the Microsoft-only attitude and learning proper web standards. Therefore all other browsers and operating systems benefit. Without a large number of people using alternative browsers this isn't going to happen, and Firefox is simply the easiest choice to switch them to.
  20. mannix87 macrumors 6502

Nov 16, 2005
    in the southeast
    I required everyone in the office to use firefox. it's the default browser for the PCs in the office.
  21. Rickay726 macrumors 6502

Dec 29, 2005
    New Jersey
    everyone that uses internet explorer on a windows computer is insane. i have made so many peopl switch, however wehn it comes to macs i prefer safari
  22. Ugg macrumors 68000

Apr 7, 2003
    3 so far and I keep spreading the word. I have one friend who is a holdout. I can't imagine how anyone on dialup can live without tabbed browsing...
  23. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Nov 20, 2002
    Only my parents on their PC. They'll soon get an iMac however.

I don't like any bowser as much as Safari.
  24. zap2 macrumors 604

Mar 8, 2005
    Washington D.C
    I don't know but my friends and i talk about it all day, and i lots of people who use it, even people who are not the best on computers

And weridly enought i don't use it on my iBook, i'm not sure why, i always use it on my iMac, but for my iBook i tried safari, the switched to Camino.