How many people use Inkwell, and how well does it work?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Elan0204, Sep 5, 2004.

1. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Apr 16, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    I never really hear people discussing Inkwell, so I was wondering how many people actually use it? If you do, what do you use it for? Simple text input when using a graphics program, or do you write notes, letters, and papers with it?

Also, how well does it work? Do you find that it does a good job recognizing what you have written, or do you have to correct it a lot?
  2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

Aug 30, 2003
    The way the yellow text panel jumps around is unnerving, and it keeps timing out and completing words in a way that doesn't match the way I write. I suppose that with some fiddling with the settings and more practice with the edit gestures it could become livable, but with a keyboard right there I've never ha the patience :(
  3. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

Apr 28, 2004
    inkwell is one of those things that was a nice idea...but who the hell owns a stylus input device? i've never even seen it put into use...and to be honest, i don't even know how to use it (since i've never had the need to look or find out...).
  4. iMeowbot macrumors G3

Aug 30, 2003
    I don't think you'll even see Ink in System Preferences unless you have a tablet plugged in. Lots of Mac users do have tablets, typically for draw/paint applications.

Here are the gestures you're expected to learn:

And here's what the writing panel looks like:

See how the yellow pane is the same size as what I wrote? If you have the "write anywhere" option set, it keeps growing like that, then disappearing and committing your text if you pause.

There is an alternative mode where you get a dedicated notebook windows for entering text that avoids the jumpy bit, but it adds taps/clicks and forces you to write in a different spot than where the text will ultimately go.

For what it's worth, the handwriting recognition itself is actually quite good. It's just the surrounding interface that needs help.
  5. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

Apr 30, 2004
    The Ocean Floor
    errr..... me. I own a graphics tablet, they're used quite a lot by graphic designers and by various other image/video professionals. I thought that they were a bit crap until i tried one, and it makes drawing on the computer so very much easier. I would never consider it for handwriting recognition, typing is alot faster.
  6. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    me too... :D

they make the very notion of the mouse obsolete.