Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nimr0d

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2006
I'm using a Macbook pro(one of the first ones off the line) and its my first mac. So coming from the world of PCs i've learned that it is not reliable enough to use as an alarm clock, unless i want to be late for work everyday. Still have not gotten up the courage to use my mac as an alarm clock. So i was just wondering do a lot of people use their Macs to wake up?

Copland

macrumors regular
May 26, 2006
Rochester, NY
Yeah, I would, but I find it difficult to find a noise that wakes me up, but not my entire house!

Maybe you should try it, then set a regular alarm clock for a couple minutes later so that if your mac isn't loud enough or something, you won't be late. If the MacBook Pro wakes you up, then you can forget the regular alarm clock.:D

VAmin

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2004
There's a good alarm clock widget available that ties in to iTunes that I use. The only annoyance for me is that you have to set your mac not to sleep, and I can hear the HD spinning up/down periodically as I go to sleep.

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
VAmin said:
There's a good alarm clock widget available that ties in to iTunes that I use. The only annoyance for me is that you have to set your mac not to sleep, and I can hear the HD spinning up/down periodically as I go to sleep.
I use the same widget as well and it's pretty good. As you say the only disadvantage is having to leave to the computer on.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
max_altitude said:
I use the same widget as well and it's pretty good. As you say the only disadvantage is having to leave to the computer on.
I haven't tried that, but why would you need to do that? If you schedule your Mac to wake up a couple of minutes before the alarm, why won't it work?

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
plinden said:
I haven't tried that, but why would you need to do that? If you schedule your Mac to wake up a couple of minutes before the alarm, will it not work?
Good idea!
*looks in energy saver and realises "Schedule" has been there the whole time, without realising* :eek:

longinus

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2006
Oulu, Finland
max_altitude said:
Good idea!
*looks in energy saver and realises "Schedule" has been there the whole time, without realising* :eek:

Alarm Clock 2

This is the program to do it, it's very simple. I use it daily.
It can wake your computer from sleep and the easy wake option is nice.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
I use mine as an alarm clock. My real alarm clock likes to NOT go off.

I set an iCal event.. and it works every time. :D

*kicks sony alarm clock across room*

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
I've been using Alarm Clock 2 on my iMac but now I have a MacBook. Will it work if my MacBook is shut? Because I'd rather not leave it open all night (getting dusty etc)

REDSRT4

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2006
I have used it before it works great i think, just too bad i dont like keeping my PB open all night

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.