How many problems until replacement?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kterzino, Jan 17, 2007.

1. kterzino macrumors newbie

Hi gang,

I've had a ton of problems with my 17-in Powerbook G4. It worked great for 2 years, and then it started dying.

I have called AppleCare numerous times, have gone to the Apple store for help many times, and have sent the computer in for several repairs.

Repairs:
    1. Right out of the box, the Airport card didn't work; had to be replaced.
    2. Had the hard drive replaced [SMART status failing so I sent it in]
    3. Had the battery replaced; problem charging; may have changed out some of the charging components [i don't remember]
    4. Had the logic board replaced
    5. Had the Airport card replaced [again]

I just got the computer back, and it's having the same problems [i.e., freezing all the time; constant Kernel panic with NO pattern at all]

I just called them and wanted a list of all the times I've called and sent in the computer, and the Applecare guy put me through to a customer service person, who discussed replacement.

Have any of you had your computer replaced by Apple? What does it take? I just don't know what else they are going to replace before they decide it's just no use anymore!

Thanks in advance,
    kari :)

2. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Well it looks like your getting your replacement very soon if they already started talking about it to you

3. 2tallyAwesome macrumors regular

I recently had my ibook replaced with a macbook.

It took 4 repairs for them to recognize mine as available for repair. After 3 I asked but they refused, however the 4th one was the charm. Just press the Customer Relations Agent until you get a favorable reponse.

4. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

MOST states have "lemon laws" that say that after 3 attempts to repair an item, it is eligible for full replacement.....

check with your state's BBB or Consumer Affairs Agency :p

5. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Across the forum the general consensus seems to be three major problems. With your Logic board replaced and it still messing up that would mean two, plus the others - and the fact that you've got Applecare, i'd say you're pretty close to getting a new machine. Will probably be today's equivalent - so a 17" MBP, which would be very nice!