How many servers do you think....

Discussion in 'Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion' started by daneoni, Aug 28, 2006.

1. macrumors G4

daneoni

are required to power the whole Apple empire. They have a host of international sites which are quite extensive, music and video download stores, they'll also maintain financial records as well as dedicated servers to manage R&D projects. Im guessing quite alot. They must have this bunker loaded with Xserves right?, must store around 500 terabytes of data at least?

Just a random topic i thought i'd throw out there

2. macrumors 6502a

Interesting thought, daneoni. Add to that, what system or systems are they running? What about backup and archiving? The number of staff to maintain such a setup? The power consumption? The list could get long real fast when you stop and think about it.

3. macrumors G4

dmw007

Not sure how many, but I would assume that the number would be quite massive. :)

4. macrumors G3

bigandy

5. macrumors member

LastBreath

I wouldn't think they would put everything in one place in the interest of redundancy.

Due to the industry I'm involved with I've been in a very high level data center and in the co-managed halls were Microsoft equipment.

I wish i could go into more detail about what i seen and the measures they have in place, its was simply amazing!

6. macrumors 6502a

dizastor

They run the entire empire off of a g4 Mac Mini running 10.4 server.

7. macrumors regular

Tis true, I have seen it! :D ;) :cool: