How many teachers are here

Discussion in 'Community' started by barhnt, Mar 1, 2003.

1. barhnt macrumors member

I can't be the only teacher in this forum. Who else is a teacher? I teach 5th and 6th grade ESL for 3 years now.

2. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i am not a K-12 credentialed teacher but i teach adults and seniors computer skills

i may end up teaching or being an instructor's aid at my college

3. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

4. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I've given computer lessons to kids from kindergarten thru 8th grade, to teachers, and to one principal, in individual, group, or whole-class lessons. But all as a volunteer. So I'm a teacher as a hobby, not as a profession.

barhnt, do you use computers in your classroom or do you have any reason to want to?

5. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

I teach fine art (painting, drawing, sculpture) at a local museum, but I have a few more semesters before i receive my state accreditation.

As much as a I hate to I may start teaching iMovie and iPhoto classes; although as it is not a traditional school Apple does not offer me teacher discounts :)

-Doc

6. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

I work for a school district, in tech support :)

7. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I work at a college campus and I'm also in graduate school in Education (Educational Technology)...

Though I'm not a teacher, I work with them everyday. :)

8. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

i teach people about the joys of folding

join our team

9. barhnt thread starter macrumors member

Doctor Q i do use computers in the classroom quite often. I also teacher the other teacher how to use them as well as the kids. Also, i spend much of my freetime at work fixing computer problems so that we don't have to wait forever for a repair that is simple. Once your ocmputer goes out it could take months to get it back, so i try to help out as much as i can. It's crazy... but i like it.

10. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

I'm senior lecturer in music technology at Thames Valley Uni in London, wall to wall Macs...:D

I really admire anyone who teaches below undergrad level, especially the primary and junior levels, they're the real teachers, I'm just an old studio engineer who likes the sound of his own voice;)

11. barhnt thread starter macrumors member

i would really like to teach in a higher ed. facility someday. A place where i don't have to give students permission to go to the bathroom:)

12. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

lol:D

Having students that actually want to be in your classroom is a real bonus, teaching the ones who dont is the real challenge, thats what I meant by real teachers:)

13. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

I teach. Well, not in the traditional sense. I am an Agriculture & Natural Resources Educator with Purdue University Extension. My classroom is my entire county and my students are anyone who has a question for me or is in a target audience I am trying to reach! Talk about having the best of both worlds!!!

14. barhnt thread starter macrumors member

i guess i am the only k-12 teacher in the group...lol... but at least there are other teachers in different forms in here so i am not alone. sounds like there are some really interesting occupations in teaching out there.

15. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

I have a degree in English from Cal Berkeley with a minor in education. I would be a teacher right now if it was worth my while. But the extra schooling, required testing, etc isn't worth doing for low pay and an oppressive beauracracy. There's a good chance I'll be a teacher eventually, but it just wasn't worth doing when I graduated a few years ago. Its kind of depressing really. They say only something like 4% of California's teachers come from the UC system, arguably the best public university system in the country. We could be doing much better. People want to be teachers, but wanting to do it doesn't mean its practical.

16. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

this is why, in california, teachers need to be paid more and treated better...several generations ago, it was considered a top of the line profession

the university of california system was set up for three primary purposes

1) to have their graduates get a credential and then teach K-12

2) have their graduates get a master's or phd and then teach on the college level

3) have their graduates get a master's or phd and work in the research side of all educational and industrial levels

never was the design of the school to train the everyday worker...that was set up as the goal of the california state university system and their much larger student body

most of my friends who graudated from the university of california system from a previous generation (pre baby boomer and early baby boomer) became teachers and/or professors (my neighbors, my cousin, his wife, her father, my friend's mother, etc)...but most of the recent university of california grads i know (mostly from high school and jc) just took any job they could find after their ba/bs...and most of the time not in their chosen fields

both systems have their primary goals with one side furthering the education and research fields and the other being more vocational related

17. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

in my chosen field of computers, i see that the uc system is into their theoretical based roots with a goal of furthering the field vs. commerce...ie) free bsd

but to keep with the times, i have seen computer and computer business certification and vocationally related degrees through the university of california extension with hands on based training and very little theory

theory is what made the university of califronia famous and cal berkeley actually has more nobel laureates than the much more famous stanford university

but recently i have seen ceo's/business leaders from uc berkeley and even some right wingers...something unthinkable when i started college in the 70s

18. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

With computer science, vocational training might give you some of the latest skills, but they have an expiration date. If you, for example, learn Oracle database administration or Windows networking, those skills won't be permanently valuable. Eventually, they will outlive those particular products.

There's nothing wrong with getting vocational training and there's nothing wrong with attending a university program based on theory and principles. But either way, you'll have to continue learning, once you are in the job market, to keep up with the ever-changing field.

My computer science educational will be complete the day I retire.

19. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I'm going to be a teacher next year, in Japan. For now, I'm still working on graduating from high school.

JW

20. barhnt thread starter macrumors member

wow janpan!!! that sound exciting, good luck to you.

21. barhnt thread starter macrumors member

sorry i guess i can't spell well without my glasses on.....lol:( I should have typed Japan.... :rolleyes:

22. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I was a 3rd grade teacher and assistant principal, but have been staying home with our 2 year old and soon a newborn (this summer) and love it. I am going to start my Master's degree this summer so I can become a principal in a few years when I will have my wife stay home. Beware some higher ed jobs pay even less than k-12 classroom teachers-my wifes job does. But it is nice to not have to give out b-room passes.:D

23. iGav macrumors G3

I used to be a hypermedia lecturer at SAE London, teaching Director, Flash, LiveMotion, AfterEffects, DVD authoring, DV editing, Enhanced CD-ROM design and production, CD-ROM design and production, design history, and interactive theory to BA (Hons) students.

I found it great fun.... teaching to groups of no more than 16 and who had paid a boatload of cash to do the course, so they really wanted to be there... I've also done the odd impromptu lecture at my old uni to MA students.....

I stopped lecturing before I started to impulse buy tweed jackets with leather elbow patches!! heh heh!! :p

24. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

Hey now!!! I have a couple of those jackets! I think they are quite stylish!

25. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

Interesting. I wasn't really aware of the philosphies behind the two systems, though it makes sense.

California would be a lot better off if they had an option to easily allow students to add a teaching credential program to their education without having to come back for an extra year. it really shouldn't be that hard to do. Other schools have programs like that, but none in the UC system that I know of. I would have done that with no question. I mean, given the fact that I did an education minor, a teaching credential program could have been easily substituted instead of that if one was offered. Meanwhile to get a teaching credential from Cal, you have to do a masters/PHD program. Again, this is a shame because there education department had some relaly cool professors that would have been of benefit to people who didn't want to go that route yet.