How many will be going the Octo Core route?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by daneoni, Apr 4, 2007.

  1. daneoni macrumors G4


    Mar 24, 2006
    Just curious about people's stance on the new updates. Will you be:

    1. Upgrading or buying a Octo Core mac pro?
    2. Sticking to what you have and wait for the next revision?
    3. Not caring at all and just proceeding with the day as normal?
  2. murfle macrumors regular

    Mar 7, 2007
    Seeing as I decided on buying a MacPro for my first mac, I decided to wait and get an 8-core, so yes... I will be buying =D
  3. Lycanthrope macrumors 6502

    Nov 1, 2005
    Brussels, Belgium, Europe
    Probably but I was hoping to get perhaps a slightly cheaper 2Core 3.0 but that hasn't materialised, yet.

    So I'll need to save up a little more money and then I may as well wait for Leopard too, perhaps they'll be able to re-price by then too, who knows.

    I still find it a very exciting development nevertheless...
  4. Silentwave macrumors 68000

    May 26, 2006
    Gainesville, FL
    Yes and yet no.

    I'm buying an 8 core mac pro, but probably not this revision of 8 core Mac Pro :)

    I'm going to try to wait for an octo with Penryn-based processors.
  5. TheAnswer macrumors 68030


    Jan 25, 2002
    Orange County, CA
    I'm sitting on my wallet and in front of my MDD G4 for a little longer. Probably not in the 8-core market yet, but maybe if I can scrape together a little more $$ by mid-summer.
  6. Osarkon macrumors 68020


    Aug 30, 2006
    Not caring at all here, for me it's complete overkill (and that's saying something, I normally want the best) , I can't see myself purchasing an 8 core anywhere in the near future.
  7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

    Mr. Anderson

    Nov 1, 2001
    i'll be going octo eventually, but not right now - when there is a blu-ray drive option it would make more sense for me. My quad G5 is fine for now.

  8. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4


    Mar 24, 2006
  9. metsnyfan87 macrumors newbie

    Oct 26, 2006
    3.0 GHz Oct Core
    2 GB RAM- For now
    500GB HD- for now
    Wireless Keyboard+ Mouse

    on the way.
  10. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4


    Mar 24, 2006
    Congratulations, thats a killer config. Enjoy.
  11. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

    Sep 5, 2006
    I am not really in the market for an eight core machine but if I were, I wouldn't get the current one. It seems a bit of a cludge.

    Maybe when the iPhone comes out in the UK the eight core line will have matured a bit.
  12. EricTheRed71 macrumors member

    Sep 15, 2006
    We'll probably get a couple as we need some more horsepower.

    The introduction of Leopard is not an issue for us as we use the Mac Pro as an x64 workstation for 3d.

    Not cheap but if they render 2x as fast as our current 2.66 duals then it will probably be worth it.
  13. AJClayton macrumors 6502


    Jan 9, 2007
    Dorset, England
    Taken the plunge anyway (I hope I don't regret it)

    No updates to the rest of the Mac Pro lineup. Got fed up waiting basically so have just ordered a Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad core with 1GB RAM, 250GB HD, 256MB graphics card with the intention of buying a 2GB additional ram module from Crucial and some extra hard drives once Leopard comes out.

    I know, I know NAB's only a week away but that's high end stuff so I doubt very much they'll announce any hardware changes that'll affect me (if any at all). I really could've done all this last October as the specs are the same as what was available then but never mind I'll appreciate the greater speed over my Mac Mini G4 all the more now!

    If I wait any longer I'll explode, frankly, which won't be a pleasant experience for anyone near me at the time and a 2.66GHz machine with 4-cores is plenty for me, thank you very much.

    Had to pay extra to get delivery on Saturday morning as it's bank holiday but at least I get a couple of days to play. My wife will be delighted :)
  14. product26 macrumors 6502a


    May 30, 2005
    I will be going the octo route... when the chips are cheap and on ebay!

    haha! that is why i purchased the base model mac pro... so I can upgrade in the future when parts are cheap
  15. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

    Jan 13, 2003
    My plan too. Quad cores are just too much money right now. I'm a little disapointed that the dual cores didn't get a small discount. Maybe later.
  16. psychofreak Retired


    May 16, 2006
    That is me...
  17. bluesteel macrumors 6502

    Apr 5, 2007
    Do I need it? No, but I've gotta have it. I was going to order a Dual Core 3GHz today and I saw the 8-Core. Again, I can't justify the 8-Cores, but what the hell. What a terrible disease I have. Ordered my Quad this morning along with some after-market extras.


    3GHz 8-Core
    1GB RAM
    250GB HD
    Radeon X1900 XT 512MB
    Bluetooth + Airport Extreme
    Wireless Keyboard & Mouse
    Apple Care


    2 x 1GB RAM
    150GB WD Raptor X (Boot Drive)
    500GB Maxtor Maxline Pro 16MB Cache
  18. olemed macrumors member


    Mar 27, 2007
    Providence, RI
    Octo-core is overkill for my needs. Quad-core is all I need (and probably more than I need) for mostly photo/web work. Hoping for a reduced 3.0ghz by summer.
  19. leekohler macrumors G5


    Dec 22, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    Same here- plus the 8 core is just too much cash. Had it been around $3400- maybe. But I have no need for it. My G5 is gonna be around a long time til prices drop.
  20. portishead macrumors 65816

    Apr 4, 2007
    los angeles

    I got almost the same as you. But I didn't get the radeon x1900, which I hope I don't regret. I"ll pick up a nice video card in the future. I got a Raptor X for a boot drive also, and I picked up 2 500GB WD Caviar YS's for a raid.
  21. brooker macrumors regular

    Apr 4, 2007
    oChO! oCHO! oCHO!

    I'm getting ready to order an 8-core beastie, and it's very exciting. I have dreams of 4 different OS's running in virtualized environments all one one lovely box under my desk... ahhh...

    I will probably just wait for NAB, since the anticipation is so much fun. I think i will also track down a student to help me buy under the student developer store. that should shave a few hundred $$ off. aftermarket ram and disks, and we are ready to rock!

    Thanks for asking!

  22. hollandtom macrumors newbie

    Apr 12, 2007
    150 gig raptor for boot
    2x 400 gig caviar re2 for striped array
    8 gigs ram
    cs3 on order

    Have been waiting and will be dammed if there is no performance boost with the release of leopard.

    Current system is g4 1.5 ghz powerbook with external everything -- can't fu*king wait
  23. GrBear macrumors newbie

    Apr 10, 2007
    I held off buying my Mac Pro until the octo Mac's came out.. after seeing what they did with the pricing structure, I ended up buying the 2.66 dual dual core instead because aside from nothing being able to use the 8 cores at this time (except the OS), there's no way to justify the cost of the octo option at this time. I think people that do get one now are going to be disappointed after they realize what little, if any, speed increase they get for the extra money.
  24. nurfen macrumors member

    Jan 21, 2007
    I won't buy octo-core, simply because I don't need it.

    There's no way in hell I can max out a Quad 3 GHz Xeon machine. I probably wouldn't even max out a Quad 2 GHz machine, as my current PC which runs AMD X2 2,4 GHz works fine - and X2 sucks in comparison to Xeon!


    No, I'll go with the "slowest" possible Mac Pro CPU when I buy it in July.
  25. mustang_dvs macrumors 6502a


    Feb 9, 2003
    Durham, NC
    I was hoping to pick-up a Revised Quad 3.0 when the Octos were announced, but that was based on the supposition that prices were going to drop for the existing configurations.

    With my ADC Hardware discounts about to expire and a $500 gift card that would account for a $1,000 price drop, I bit the bullet on a "lesser" system:

    2.66GHz Dual Dual-Core Xenon
    250GB (+200GB Seagate 7200.9, +750GB Seagate 7200.10 existing SATA drives)
    1GB RAM (+2GB ordered from DMS)

    Total out of pocket was $1,913.62 (including $152.62 in taxes)

    I figure I'll get at least $1,600 of that back when I put the G5 2.0GHzx2/3.5GB/160GB/BT/802.11g/Radeon 9800 on eBay.

    Plus, I have to pay for the CS3 Design upgrade and a Canon EOS-1D3, which Canon is selling for $500 more than the price announced at introduction... (grrrr)

Share This Page