How many years you keep using your laptop?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cool11, Jan 4, 2007.

1. cool11 macrumors 65816

cool11

I wonder all these apple laptop users, how many years keep their laptops in use before they buy a new one.
    Mac hardware, mac os, are ideal to run for years without severe problems in hardware/software or performance?

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i've had my Powerbook G4 since August of '03 still in use and still going strong. :D

(although the optical drive is going. :( )

3. toontra macrumors 6502

I had my 12" iBook for 4 years. That's about average for me. My G4 PowerMac lasted 4 1/2. I'd say you will get 4 -5 years of life out of a Mac, or longer if you are not fussed about running the latest software.

4. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

Ditto here, though my optical drive is running just fine.

5. bbergie macrumors regular

bbergie

My Powerbook G4 is nearing five years, and I have no plans to replace it just yet. :)

6. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

I've had my Powerbook since 2003, and it's still one of my favourite computers to use (second only to my iMac)

7. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

My last notebook (Sony Vaio) I kept for over 3 years. I'm not sure if I'm going to keep my MB for that long or just upgrade it every other year...

8. TheFuzz macrumors regular

i ordered my 17" PB the day they were announced (going on 4 years i think) and still use it everyday, though no longer for video/graphic work. it's still running the same as when i first received it. i could easily see using it for 2/3 more.

9. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

My iBook survived from August 2001 to October 2005 until the backlight for the screen died. It still works, and I occasionally hook it up to an external monitor when my wife and I want to sit right next to each other and ignore each other by playing video games.

(which isn't often).

10. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

about 4 years seem average for me... I have yet to get a mac laptop though.

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I've had my iBook G4 for 2 1/2 years. It's great, but I may replace it with a refurbed/used MBP soon. I've been disappointed with the MacBooks, and I could see a MBP lasting quite a while.

12. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

My 1999 G3 (Lombard) PowerBook still serves as a browser/email reader for me as I work in the basement. And it was dropped 6 years ago (by someone else) so hard that the left rear speaker was crushed into oblivion.

13. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I'm yet to have a Mac laptop (come on Steve, announce something I can get my teeth into), but I'd imagine about two years. My little Sony T2XP is ticking me off after a year, but that's mostly down to Windows. I've got some old Dell Inspirons that must be getting on for five years, and another Sony Vaio that's about three, but I hate them all. Laptop technology, just like mobile phones, has changed rapidly and aged many machines before their time. Mac laptops appear to have faired better than most.

14. Cati macrumors newbie

I'm typing this from a G3 Pismo Powerbook. They originally came out in 2000. My boyfriend and I got this one used as an intro to Macs and it made us fall in love. It is a bit slow with multiple browsers open but still a great machine. Currently running OS 10.3.9

Cati

15. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

I've had my current PowerBook since August 2004. I probably won't replace it until AppleCare runs out (Aug. '07), but running Aperture on this thing is making me antsy to get an upgrade.

I'm hoping that the LED-backlit display rumors are true. That'll give them enough time to work out the bugs between now and August while I build up the necessary funds. :)

16. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Again, same here, just change August to September of the same year. My optical drive is starting to die too I think.

17. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

Mac'Mo

my white mb is my first apple notebook, but i hope to at least keep it 4/5 years

18. smartalic34 macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

I plan on keeping this MBP as long as I can... I'll be happy if I get 5-6 years, but who knows, maybe it'll keep on going even longer!

19. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

500 MHz Ti Powerbook still going strong after six and half years. It's on its third hard drive and I just replaced the battery, though.

20. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Typing on my original iBook G4 and loving it! Still has another few years in it yet. :)

21. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

Well my Fujitsu PC (not a Mac or a laptop I know but still) running Windows 98 went from 98 to 2003 without a format. At the end it was deing! I hope to keep my MacBook for atleast 5/6 years, then upgrade to something pro.

22. 2fives macrumors regular

My MBP is 2 weeks and going strong :) Hope I can say this after about 5 yrs. After the $2200 I paid for it, it better.

23. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

I've had my PowerBook since July 2004. I at least plan to keep it until I finish college, which was its original purpose. After that I will probably keep using it until it either dies or something really awsome comes out to replace it.

24. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Still using my PB since August of 04. Still doing quite well (although HD crashed several weeks ago). I expect to get several more years out of it.

25. mattster16 macrumors 6502a

My Powerbook G4 only lasted from April 04 to Oct 06, I wanted it to last me until I finished all my undergrad studies in 08 and it would have been adequete, but it ended up dying. :(

Fortunately I had AppleCare, so now I have a MBP that I have been using for a little less than 3 months.