How miserable would a new iPod be over USB 1.1

Discussion in 'iPod' started by neoelectronaut, Sep 30, 2006.

1. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

I think I've come to my senses and rather than paying $200-ish for a 4G I'll just go ahead and get a 5.5G...

But I'm using an eMac, and thus, USB 1.1. Exactly how long would 30GB worth of data take to send via 1.1?

2. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

A while, but not too bad. I had a computer with only USB 1.1 and transfered all my music ~20GB from a external hard drive then to my iPod both paths via 1.1. I started it before I went to bed, it was almost done when I woke up. But, this is the only time I have had to do this, transfering just a couple songs takes very little time. I would just suggest starting it before you go to bed or work and it won't seem to take too long.

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

A full 30 GB should be about 5 1/2 hours, theoretically.

But, a large transfer would only be necessary the first time you sync it, and as you should charge it for several hours anyway, it wouldn't be that bad. Additional syncs when you do changes should be much faster, and would take a lot less time than charging it...

4. ifro2341 macrumors newbie

ifro2341

But the videos will take a really long time, don't try to trasfer those when you're under time pressure. Especially if ur doing full length movies. Those are more than 1 GB when u get them from the itunes store

5. Bibulous macrumors 6502a

I have been thinking about this too and had a couple of questions.

Does anyone know if the Apple dock to firewire cable work with 5 or 5.5 gen iPods?

Will a USB 2.0 PC Card with a powerbook work? It's not powered, but I would think it will work if the iPod has a charge.

Will the ipod charge from a USB 1.1 dock?

If I get a 30GB I can fit all of my music, then updating should only take a few minutes over USB 1.1 at worst.

6. DCBass macrumors 6502

the dock to firewire thing won't work because the 5g ipod simply doesn't have the firewire chip in it. you won't be able to sync at all, but you will be able to charge it that way.

not sure about the pc card thing. my guess is yes that it would.

yes, the ipod will charge over the usb 1.1, but i'm not sure how that compares with usb 2.0 ports.

I'm not sure what you mean by the last line, but it was said best above. if you're going through usb 1.1, do the first sync overnight because it will take forever. however, if it's just one or two songs for each update thereafter, it won't take too long.

I think your ideal situation would be to go with the usb 2.0 pc card.

good luck!

-DCBass

7. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

set it up early in the day, do your thing and by the next morning it should be done, it will be charged and ready to go. As said above it will be the first time you sync it that it will take a few hours. After that it shouldn't take that long to transfer a few songs. (maybe 5-10) When i had my 3g ipod i had USB 1.1 and i managed just fine. Yes it was slow but its worth the wait