how much bandwidth do I need

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by MacDonaldsd, Apr 22, 2006.

1. MacDonaldsd macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

I want to host a simple website with podcasts etc and it will be public

Im going to make it with rapidweaver and all the podcasts will be held offsite and linked by the URL

How much monthly bandwidth will I need ?

2. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Depends on how many hits you get.

My little site gets about 2-3GB of bandwidth used a month. And i have 100GB of bandwidth allowed a month.

3. The Past macrumors 6502

No matter where you actually place the audio files, each time they are played will count toward your bandwidth. A quick and crude way to think about it is as follows:

(the file sizes of your HTM files + the sizes of all objects/images on those html pages + the file sizes of your audio files that will be typically played by your users) X the number of users per month = bandwidth per month.

4. MacDonaldsd thread starter macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

Yes but the audio is downloaded from another site, it isnt played on my site

5. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

now do you have permission to use another persons bandwidth?

6. MacDonaldsd thread starter macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

I mean a media host such as ourmedia, Ive done it like this before but with blogger

7. mikemodena macrumors 6502a

mikemodena

I would imagine you wouldn't need more than 5GB per month, so go with a plan that offers around 20GB

8. theappleguy macrumors 6502

Most people overestimate how much transfer they are going to need. Where ever you put the Podcasts, whether it is along with your regular hosting (which would be the best option) or somewhere else, I would start with around 10GB and upgrade as necessary.