How much better is Office over iWork???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by smwatson, Oct 19, 2005.

1. smwatson macrumors 6502a

Sep 30, 2005
    London, England
    Im about to switch [hopefully] to a new 20" iMac w/ iSight. I will use it for web browsing, aMSN chatting, and my schoolwork. As i am about to sit my GCSEs i will need to be able to write essays, and produce the occasional flashy word processing article. I am considering either iWork, Office or both. In iWork, the word/publisher crossover type thing in pages appeals, and Keynote is clearly a superb piece of software. However, after 15 years of PC means Office is so appealing. Word is very powerful, but i only ever type essays so i dont need the advanced word processing tools. Excel is something i will probably end up never ever ever using, so is really just another piece of software. Powerpoint is outclassed by Keynote.
    So basically, i was just wodering whether you guys think its worth it spending god knows how much on Office over iWork, when iWork appears to be just fine. And also, i will have appleworks so thats another bonus.
  2. Bear macrumors G3

Jul 23, 2002
    Sol III - Terra
    If iWork will do what you want, save the money.
  3. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Jul 16, 2002
    Get your hands on the trial version of iWork.
  4. stevep macrumors 6502a

Oct 13, 2004
    If you're taking GCSE's you're in the UK, right?
    If you want maximum compatibility go for the MS Office (approx edu price£100) - you'll be able to exchange files and work on different computers etc with fewer problems.
    As for Excel, I just can't believe a GCSE student can get by without using it these days. What subjects are you taking? Maths, science and design technology would all benefit from the use of Excel for coursework assignments (not to mention ICT....)
    Keynote? Yes, its very good, but you don't need it for any GCSE's that I know of. Examiners only know about PowerPoint anyway, and you'd only need that for an ICT assignment maybe.
  5. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

Apr 29, 2005
    San Francisco
    I'd say get Office. You can get it for educational price as a great deal. Even MacWorld says iWork is not quite ready for primetime. So I'd hold off on that.
  6. miloblithe macrumors 68020

Nov 14, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Unfortunately, Pages seems pretty underwhelming. Word is, for the foreseeable timebeing, the far more useful, standard word processing software. It's a piece of software worth being comfortable with.
  7. Bern macrumors 68000

Nov 10, 2004
    I've used Word since the beginning, but last week I replaced it with Pages and I use it for all my work. Pages handles Words documents effortlessly IMO. Rather than save as a .doc file I save as .pdf and use those.

If you need Excel however you'll have to get Office as Apple have not come up with a similar application.... yet.
  8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Jul 16, 2002
    You'll get no shortage of Pages bashing on this board (mainly from people who've never actually used it I suspect). Try it and decide for yourself. But isn't that what we Mac users are always saying?
  9. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

Jun 28, 2005
    Brighton, UK
    Maybe try OpenOffice/NeoOfficeJ is a good start, if you're undecided on whether you need Office or not. (Free!!)

10. VanMac macrumors 6502a

May 26, 2005
    Rampaging Tokyo
    Office for the mac is great. Much better then Office on Windows XP even. If you can get edu pricing, well worth it.
  11. geese macrumors 6502a

Oct 23, 2003
    London, UK
    No mention of Appleworks- comes free with your Mac you know.

I got through 3 years of a uni degree on Appleworks 4. Great program, it even opens Word files (although complex formatting is a bit hit and miss).

I've written 8000 word essays on it, no bother. And its spreadsheet isnt bad either. And the Drawing component is very useful for basic DTP.