How much did Twilight Princess cost....

Discussion in 'Games' started by spencecb, Feb 6, 2007.

1. spencecb macrumors 6502a

spencecb

To produce?

There is all this talk about how big games, like Gears of War, cost upwards of $20 million to produce and develop, from start to finish.

What about The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess? How much did it cost? I'm guessing significantly less. But why is this? It can't simply be because of Nintendo's decision to not produce a game in true HD.

Twilight Princess is an epic title. It was in development for four years. It has to cost a pretty penny.

Anyone know official numbers? Or care to take a guess?

2. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

3. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I think you might want to re-read the OP. You missed the point.

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

3 or 4 years in development. 100 staff members on an average salary of $35,000 per year. salary around $14,000,000 (4 years) + hardware, studio rent, electricity, water, marketing, pr etc......

I'd take an educated guess at around $20,000,000 when it all is added up.

edit:- Assuming the profit going to the developers is an average of $20 per game sold (maybe more) then at the end of January it had sold 3 million units. $60,000,000

5. Dunepilot macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

Or maybe being facetious.

6. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

$35K? I would think software developers make hella more than that.

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Actually there is a massive discrepancy in wages for the games industry. Alot of the junior graphics artist and testers will be on maybe $20k at the most, so you have to try and work out middle amount. It maybe more than $35k, and I'm sure lead designers get paid a hell of a lot more, but there's plenty of exploitation still in the industry of the lower subordinate staff.

8. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

I dunno... It is Zelda after all *Shudders*

;) :D

9. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I don't get the feeling, though, that Twilight Princess was being worked on non-stop for four years. It's a large game, to be sure, but the amount of content simply does not reflect that many man-hours. It may have been in development for that long, but that does not entail a full staff slaving away on coding for that period of time. The cost is probably considerably less than what was estimated above.

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Maybe,

but I'm counting in 2 platforms.

Plus all marketing & promotion and advertising, across all teritories. That alone would cost millions in itself.

Then you have to factor in duplication, manufacture and distribution across a global scale.

$20 million doesnt seem too high to me. Indeed it could be very conservative by time you factor in everything.

11. spencecb thread starter macrumors 6502a

spencecb

Wow, I didn't even think about the fact that Twilight Princess was developed on two platforms. While I'm sure this increased the price of development, it probably did not increase it dramatically. Maybe by a couple million. After all, the Wii is a GameCube, too.

12. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

IIRC Zelda TP was developed on a GCN Dev kit and ported to the Wii, that would mean that most the production cost was in the GCN cost with probably minimal costs to port it to the Wii. 20 Million is probably a good figure MRU, but it may be a bit high.

Ed

13. WillMak macrumors 6502a

The fact that Zelda does not have any real voice speech and uses text probably saved it a million or two.

14. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

I'm guessing that not hiring a composer and orchestra saved a mill as well...

15. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Marketing costs can easily meet or exceed the cost of actually developing the game.

Lethal

16. wako macrumors 65816

yup... for example lost planet total cost was 40 million... 20 to production 20 to marketing

17. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

This is very true, I know several people that either have worked in the industry or still do. Not only do you not get paid well, you work 10-14 hour days very very consistently - especially in "crunch time".

It's actually more lucrative to work in a business/IT company if you are a programmer as you will make much better money with better hours.

18. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Pretty much anyone who wants a career in the entertainment industry (be it video games or movies) has to love what they do. Yeah, there are chances to make some nice cash, but the money alone will rarely, if ever, make all stress and long hours (base work weeks of 50 or 60hrs) "worth it."

Lethal