How much do you guys make? (for ppl who do iPhone dev as part of their job desc.)

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by fenrus110, Mar 6, 2009.

1. macrumors regular

Mar 24, 2008
    Hope this isn't off topic, but I'm just curious as to what type of salary power I would have. And I am referring to full time salaried work as an employee. So you will likely have other skills and do other stuff besides iPhone.

I was originally hired 1.5 yrs ago fresh out of school as a Flex/Java/ColdFusion/DB developer (I would say I'm fairly proficient at those things). But anyways, eventually I was the one he picked to throw into iPhone development so I have been learning and developing as I have been going along. Aside from doing graphics, I would say I have a pretty good grasp of the sdk with published apps that are in use.

I'm still on entry level pay so which is why I am curious about this, as I think it is time for a raise and/or to move on.
  2. macrumors 6502a

Jul 17, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    It is my strong opinion that if you are a full-time iPhone dev working for someone else, you should be making at least $100k/year.

The reason I say that is because if you worked from home as an iPhone Dev developing apps on your own and publishing them to the App Store, and you worked 40 hours a week at it, you could easily make more than $100k/year.

It's one of the reasons I don't develop for others and I work from home. It's more beneficial to me personally right now to create apps on my own for money rather than give a big cut of that to my employer.

The app store is new, fresh, and a lot of people are making money. It's not going to be this way forever. Take advantage of that while you can. Or ask for a massive raise at work. If they don't pay you, go somewhere else that will. iPhone devs are in HIGH demand.