How much do you like Hot Dogs?

Discussion in 'Community' started by wdlove, Jul 5, 2005.

1. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Do you like them enough to eat more than 49 Hot Dogs? :eek:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/07/04/hotdog.contest/index.html

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I watched this live the other day. I though I was going to puke. It really was discussing. He broke them in half, soaked them in his drink, and practically swallowed them whole. :eek:

Sonya the Black-widow was only about 100 pounds and she ate 37.

3. Bibulous macrumors 6502a

I like hot dogs, but 49 would last me about 25 days. This guy is crazy .

4. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

I love me some hot dogs...not that many though. And they have to be GOOD hot dogs...Nathan's or something like that. With spicy mustard. And sauerkraut...it's not a hot dog without sauerkraut.

5. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Well you're in luck. Nathan's has been the sponsor of this hot dog eating contest for a long time. Yum, Yum!!
    link

6. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

I could eat three in one sitting if I was REALLY hungry. 49...that's insane.

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

How much do you like hot dogs?

Not that much! Sheesh, I like to keep my colon intact.

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

i like hotdogs but i don't think ive eaten 49 in my life :eek:

9. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

that's so nasty... i've eaten one hot dog in the past half decade, I was so hungry I thought I'd die, and it was the only thing in the house. there wasn't enough ketchup to drown the taste of rendering, but after a long battle, i managed to keep it down. but it won't happen again. i'd rather eat scraps off the floor... because then at least i know they're from my floor, instead of a slaughterhouse floor :)

10. Toppa G's macrumors 6502

I watched the contest on ESPN yesterday(?)...also watched it last year so maybe it's becoming a tradition :rolleyes:

What I was thinking as I flipped between the hot dog eating championship and the world Scrabble championship (on ESPN2) is what the sports commentators think when they get assignments like these...it AMAZED me that they could keep a straight face while talking about the different hot dog eating "techniques" and the skills each competitor brought to the contest. "The big story of today is rookie Joey Chestnut, who gave an impressive performance and came in third place after eating 32 hot dogs"...also, this year featured the "helmet cam" debut where one of the competitors wore a hat with a camera and mirror on it so the viewers could get an eaters-eye view of the contest. Thank you, ESPN!! :D

11. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Tradition? It said this was his fifth consecutive title. Sounds like it already became a tradition. And for further knowledge its been going on since 1916 at Coney Island on the 4th of July.

12. roadapple macrumors regular

I like the yesterdog in GR, but this is just nuts. what does he weigh, 98#'s?

13. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

Takeru Kobayashi wanted to beat his record, but ended up with 49 hot dogs.

Still that's a lot of weiners!!! :eek:

14. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

I don't eat that many hot dogs in a whole year. That's just hard to imagine.

15. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If I tried to eat that many hotdogs in 12 minutes, you'd be able to enter me in the projectile vomiting contest that follows.

16. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

I haven't had a hot dog in years. Never really like the taste anyway. Now that I realize the health issues, happy that I've stopped.

17. Toppa G's macrumors 6502

I meant that watching the event may be becoming a tradition for me :eek: :D

18. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

Anyone know how much 49 hot dogs weigh? It has to be more than 15 pounds of that crap!!! The most ive ever ate in a day is 5! Holy Crap!

19. emw macrumors G4

emw

20. emw macrumors G4

emw

An 8-pack of Nathan's weighs 1 pound, which means 49 weighed about 6 pounds. Add in the buns/water for another couple of pounds, and you're probably somewhat under 10 pounds total.

21. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I like Hot Dogs, but not enough to eat more than 3 of them in one day. I eat them both in buns and sliced with ketchup to dip them in.

22. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

Hmm i was just a little off :D But thats still a huge amount to eat.

23. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It's mandatory to like hot dogs in Chicago. I love them!

24. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I don't even eat that many hot dogs in an entire year! That can't be good for ya... Nonetheless, impressive for what it is I guess. :cool:

25. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

If you're ever in Chicago you MUST go here.

Hot Doug's

Doug has been written up in the New York Times, Gourmet Magazine, Punk Planet, etc. He went to Kendall College (a fine culinary school) only to graduate and open a hot dog stand. They have "the finest in encased meats," and always have specialty sausages (alligator, duck, etc) on the menu. Don't miss out on Fridays and Saturdays when they cook their fries in duck fat - mmmmmm extra rich flavor yet light and crispy.

Their regular dogs are only $1.50 and their specialty items cost a bit more but boy are they worth it. Man, can you tell it's lunchtime here?

Today's specials at Hot Doug's...

The Game of the Week
    Cherry Ostrich Sausage with Apricot-Orange Mustard Cream and Chopped Smoked Almonds $6.00

The Joanie Weston (Today's Celebrity Sausage)
    Apple and Gouda Chicken Sausage with Honey-Dijon Mustard and Dried Blueberries $5.50

Other Specials
    Spinach and Feta Turkey Sausage with Artichoke-Kalamata Olive Pesto and Feta Cheese $6.00

Smoked Cajun Duck Sausage with Chipotle Dijonnaise and Pepper-Jack Cheese $6.00

Jalapeno Pork Sausage with "Buffalo" Mustard and Crumbled Blue Cheese $5.00