How much do you tip for a Pizza Delivery?

Discussion in 'Community' started by treblah, Aug 15, 2005.

1. treblah macrumors 65816

Oct 28, 2003
    So I started delivering pizza for PizzaHut so I could have some extra pocket money and I have more time due to my lack senior year. So far i have worked one week and found that people suck at tipping.
    Thanks for your responses.

1. Tip if pizza is delivered 10 minutes or more before your promised time.
    2. Tip + or - 5 minutes of promised time.
    3. Tip if pizza is delivered 10 minutes or later than promised time.
  2. iBlue macrumors Core

Mar 17, 2005
    London, England
    i never ever give under $2 but it depends on the timing and if they luck out with the change total being on the lower side of the dollar. (i.e., $17.09 total will probably get $20 even from me... but probably so will the $17.99 that's almost an extra dollar based on luck of the draw with price) [shrugs]

my pizzas almost never come on time though, i live in a friggin maze and people are always getting lost.
  3. njmac macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004
    $2.00 is the minimum. I go by the price of the order. It doesn't matter to me the delivery time. I try to go 20% of the total order.

Good luck with your job!
  4. RJP31484 macrumors regular

Apr 19, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    I delivered pizza for dominos in the suburbs of eastern PA. Generally I averaged 2-3$ per tip. anything under 2 bucks was crap, and 5 dollars was a very good tip. We also got 85 cents per delivery for gas(which didnt usually cover it) and 5.15(starting) per hour. It was a pretty good job, HOWEVER the pay is not so great when you take into account wear and tear on your car. Factoring in my 3+ flat tires, cracked oil pan, and 400+ miles/week on my late-model jetta all incured while on the job, the sweetness of the deal sours up.

On a different note, I used to work filling SCUBA tanks at a dive-training facility here, and used to get tips every so often. SCUBA diving is a very expensive sport, and most people who are really into it have quite a bit of money. One time this guy tipped me SIXTY dollars to fill up 5 tanks (which took about 10 mins and barely any effort other than waiting for them to fill)!!!!!! I felt I was completely undeserving of this, so I gave 20 to my boss, used 20 to order a pizza, and gave the delivery man a 20 dollar tip, needless to say he was amazed, and went away very happy. From then on whenever we delivered pizza it took them about 8 mins to get it to us. Later, when I delivered myself, I knew who was a good tipper, and who was not. If I had 3 orders on my run, I was sure to visit the good tippers first, and not care about when the bad tippers got their orders.
    SO BE AWARE! - Delivery persons NEVER FORGET
  5. ----Bowie---- macrumors regular

Mar 29, 2004
  6. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jul 14, 2005
    I usually stick to a $2 minimum also. I somewhere between 10% and 20%, whatever works out to an even dollar amount.
  7. ham_man macrumors 68020

Jan 21, 2005
    I don't. Pizza dudes don't deliver to my house.
  8. iGary Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
  9. applekid macrumors 68020

Jul 3, 2003
    Usually $2.

There was a time when I didn't give any tip at all. :p It was to some old lady, and she did complain about it, understandably. My parents left me enough money for pizza one night and $2 for a tip, but I decided to pocket $2 because I thought a better use for the $2 would be pocketing it so I can use it towards a date with the rest of the money I had in my wallet... :D
  10. RJP31484 macrumors regular

Apr 19, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA

Ive actually had kids do that to me before... The kid will want to answer the door(I guess they think its a cool responsibility) and their parent will give them say... 20$ plus 2 for a tip, and theyll bring it all out, and I tell them their total is 19.99, and they say "OH!.. ok", and they give me the 20 and put the other 2 in ther pocket... UGH!!!!
  11. MacDawg macrumors P6

Mar 20, 2004
    "Between the Hedges"
    Usually $2-$3 depending on the bill and the luck of the draw as above. But for the most part we don't do delivery.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]
  12. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

Apr 18, 2005
    i don't tip, even in resteraunts over here nobody tips, it really stinks because service would be better if people actually worked for tips as opposed to a pretty decent wage
  13. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Aug 17, 2004
    Communard de Londres
    I wondered if anybody would bring up not tipping,I grew up in NZ and don't tip anybody for anything(unless someone goes out of their way to do something special)like you say if people need tips to survive they aren't being paid enough.It leads to servility and have a nice day type falseness.
  14. paleck macrumors 6502a

Apr 11, 2005
    with the Tequila!
    I tend to tip at a minimum of $3 up to $5-7 range. The only reason they get less than the 3 is if the delivery is like over 20 or so minutes late, enough that the pizza is cool already. :eek: Luckily I've only ever had to do that once and when my apartment orders we usually have it 20 minutes eary and piping hot! :p

.......The only down side to all this is that I stopped eating out, including pizza, so the only time I ever eat it is if my roommate orders some and I sneak a piece of his. :D
  15. killuminati macrumors 68020

Dec 6, 2004
    I usually tip about $2 but I give I'll give $4 if it's either really fast and good service, or if the order is more than $25.
  16. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

Dec 16, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    Pizza delivery, in my opinion, falls into the same boat as waiting tables. Tipping is supposed to reflect the quality of the services received. That being said:

1. Good tip if the driver is early and/or friendly.
    2. Average tip if driver is on time.
    3. Little to no tip is driver is late and or/snooty.

Now granted, I understand that sometimes it just won't get there in the 30 minutes they promised you (busy night, bad weather, and so forth) and I always take that into account. What irritates me the most, however, is when service personnel act as though they are entitled to a tip, but do nothing to earn it. I stiffed a driver once because he was 20 minutes late and acted as though it was my fault he couldn't follow directions to my house. Knowing where to deliver is part of the job.

Bottom line - if you want a nice tip, do something to make the client feel you deserve it. Be friendly. If you're late, explain why and be apologetic. It's honey versus vinegar.
  17. atakordie macrumors member

Mar 31, 2005
    Columbia, SC
    Very interesting. I've worked for Papa John's since 2001 during the summers and such, and now I work every weekend during school. I keep a spreadsheet of earnings and tips, mileage, hours worked, orders taken, total sales per day, etc. I just averaged all of my tips together: $2.72. This includes all deliveries, not just the deliveries that I receive tips (i.e., includes the "stiffs"). So, in effect, the people who tip 5-7 dollars "cover" for the people who don't tip (I consider no tip 99 cents or less). I usually have about 2 or 3 people on average stiff me per night, and yes, we remember them.

All this boils down to: most of you are saying $2 min. That's good, but consider the distance round trip from your house to the pizza parlor. A tip is nice, but if it's 20 miles round trip, you've probably simply covered the gallon of fuel burned in order to get it there if you tip 2 bucks. With papa john's, we receive 5% of our total sales for the night to pay for gasoline. Since my sales average is about $275, that means I get about $14 a night for gas. This is obviously not enough. Here, gas is $2.55/gallon, so that's a little over 5 gallons that papa john's gives us....Now, if I have to change a transmission or anything like that, I get to buy it. My calculations have shown this: I get an average of 62 cents per mile driven while delivering. This includes ALL earnings, tips, wage, 5% sales. So, as you can see, the job only works for you if all you have to buy is gas. Even then, it isn't that great right now with these prices as they are. I hope this helps someone out there understand the mechanics of the job.
  18. nospleen macrumors 68000

Dec 8, 2002
    At least five bucks. C'mon people, kick in a few extra bucks! :D
  19. njmac macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004
    But the delay in your delivery is not always the delivery guys fault. If the kitchen gets backed up then the delivery guy is going to suffer. The cook is getting a salary, but the delivery person is usually dependent on tips.
  20. dmw007 macrumors G4

May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
    I tend to always give a 15-20% tip (unless I receive poor service).
  21. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
  22. dmw007 macrumors G4

May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
    Is that all Lacero??? :eek: ;)
  23. PaRaGoNViCtiM macrumors 6502a

Mar 18, 2005
    I delivered pizzas years ago, so I always tip good. $5 dollar minimum!
  24. iMatt mini macrumors 6502

Mar 1, 2005
    Central New Jersey
  25. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Feb 3, 2004
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Mine usually comes to 17 dollars and something and I'll give them 20.