How much does AppleCare increase the value of a machine you sell?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by HarryWarden, Sep 15, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502a

Let's say you sell a MBA with 1 year left on the AppleCare warranty. How much extra can you charge for the value it brings?

2. macrumors demi-god

firedept

I always offer the buyer the option of purchasing it from me at what it is worth prorated. Apple will prorate it and send you a cheque for the amount they determine, if the buyer does not agree to at least that price. As a buyer you would be silly not to pay at least something for it. Especially if the machine is outside the one year warranty period and you can no longer get Applecare.

3. macrumors 68040

As much as the buyer is willing to pay. There is no magic or universal number. It's up to you.

4. macrumors 68030

FreakinEurekan

As @firedept says I would expect the prorated value, if they don't want to pay it cancel the APP and get the refund. With 12 months left you'd be looking at $83.00 ($249 ÷ 36 x 12 = $83.00)

5. macrumors 601

clyde2801

But he's wanting to sell it at one year, not two. Since the buyer would be getting two years of protection, wouldn't it be $163?

6. macrumors 68030

FreakinEurekan

He said it has 1 year of coverage left, I approximated that as 12 months but showed the math so if it's actually 10 months or 14 months or whatever, he can adjust as needed.

7. macrumors 601

clyde2801

After looking at the OP again, I stand corrected. Teaches me to not get on the forum without my bifocals. Thanks.